Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:04 am 

Taxi boss calls for ‘fare’ funding deal after nerve agent attack

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/ ... nt_attack/

A BUSINESS owner says she was “horrified” to receive an email saying she was “jumping on the bandwagon” after applying for relief funding and is calling for more support for taxi drivers in the city.

Cathy Cooper, who runs Fare Ladies, received the email last week, which was sent to her by mistake after submitting an application to the fund set aside to help businesses recover in wake of the nerve agent attack.

She said: “I’m a small business in Salisbury that has lost a lot of revenue. The footfall has dropped, it’s just horrendous.”

Mrs Cooper says she had not heard anything after submitting an application until receiving the email last week.

“How dare they say ‘jumping on the bandwagon’,” she said.

“The first four weeks’ footfall was tarnished. There was no trade at all. I can’t believe the response I have just had.”

The taxi firm has been running for four years and Mrs Cooper believes she lost about £1,000 of revenue over the period after the nerve agent attack.

The email also questioned whether Mrs Cooper had been “proactive in doing any recovery for her work”, but she says she has done “everything in her power” to make up the money lost, working extra hours in the morning and evening. As a lone female she said she did not want to do the Saturday night jobs.

I’m horrified. If they had politely said that ‘you’re not in the right category’ I would have accepted that. It is horrendous they have got that attitude, people like that shouldn’t be in charge.”

She added: “I’m getting on track a bit now. I made an effort to do more different times. I think we all should be given something, we’ve all been in the same position.

“I have genuinely lost revenue and thought I had a claim.”

Cathy says free parking in the city and events like the OVO Energy cycling have also impacted on trade for taxi drivers.

She believes there should be more help and support for taxi drivers and that they are being “overlooked”.

“All taxi drivers in Salisbury get a hard time. Give us a break.”

Alistair [edited by admin], chairman of the Salisbury recovery coordinating group, said: “I apologise to Miss Cooper on behalf of Wiltshire Council for any offence caused as a result of the unacceptable wording used by an officer in an email to her. The council has always made it very clear that it will support businesses affected by the unprecedented incident that occurred on March 4.

“The recovery coordinating group has been working closely with Salisbury businesses, particularly those directly affected, to ensure that they have the support needed to aid their recovery. We widely promoted the funding and assistance available, and all funding requests received have been assessed thoroughly against robust criteria to ensure that funding is allocated as required and where appropriate.

“The application received from Miss Cooper was thoroughly assessed and did not meet the criteria for financial support, although we have advised her that should her business situation change a further application can be submitted and advice sought from the council.

“Since the incident, more than 40 businesses affected in the city have received £122,975 of hardship rate relief and business support grants of £173,929. A further £50,400 grant requests are currently being processed.”

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:02 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well i should think apart from the directly affected businesses probably all businesses connected with retail or nightlife would have been affected after all something like that would scare off 90 percent of shoppers,restaurant goers etc

so what did they expect ? The claims will probably come to several million across the whole city and beyond or were they assuming only businesses in the immediate vicinity were affected

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am 

She will need to provide evidence of her loss by submitting detailed accounts of what she has taken over the same period in previous years to justify her claim.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:01 am 

grandad wrote:
She will need to provide evidence of her loss by submitting detailed accounts of what she has taken over the same period in previous years to justify her claim.

Wonder though what the criteria was for applying for the 'relief funding' that she didn't meet?

And as Edders points out, taxis would have been among the type of businesses most obviously affected, so to be accused of 'jumping on the bandwagon' seems quite dismissive and suggests that the thinking is that taxis simply shouldn't be eligible for an award irrespective of the circumstances [-(

No wonder the council had to apologise for the error [-X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:05 am 

StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

Wonder though what the criteria was for applying for the 'relief funding' that she didn't meet?

And as Edders points out, taxis would have been among the type of businesses most obviously affected, so to be accused of 'jumping on the bandwagon' seems quite dismissive and suggests that the thinking is that taxis simply shouldn't be eligible for an award irrespective of the circumstances [-(

No wonder the council had to apologise for the error [-X

I think the Council were appologiding for sending the email and not the content.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 pm 

I think cabbies that have had their customer base virtually wiped out are as entitled to the funds as anyone else.

I'm surprised the council are saying otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I think cabbies that have had their customer base virtually wiped out are as entitled to the funds as anyone else.

I'm surprised the council are saying otherwise.

I agree. I think the council have got a nerve.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:09 am 

I suppose it would be good to know the criteria being applied to see why she didn't fit that category at that time.