Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:08 am 

Street pastor calls for 'Taxi Marshall' scheme in Nantwich

https://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/news/c ... l-14816775

A Street pastor has urged Cheshire East to consider implementing a new scheme to make Nantwich’s night time economy safer.

David Maidment, who coordinates the Nantwich Street Pastors, has suggested that introducing a “taxi marshal” scheme around Nantwich’s Swine Market at weekends would help the council and the police by keeping the streets safer and tidier, particularly while revellers are waiting for taxis.

Mr Maidment said that particularly when the pubs and clubs in Nantwich close and revellers head to Swine Market to visit the takeaways or get a taxi, the situation can get chaotic as everyone tries to get home, and he suggested that a “taxi marshal” to help keep order would be beneficial for both the police and the council, as it would deter anti social behaviour and littering.

However he acknowledged that while licensees in Nantwich have spoken in favour of the idea, the strains on public finances might make it difficult to implement.

Mr Maidment said: “Sometimes, at 3am, the youngsters go to the fast food outlets and often have the situation of a long wait, with 50 or 60 people waiting for taxis. It can get a bit fraught.”

He also added that taxi marshals may make some people enjoying the town’s night-time economy feel safer, adding: “It could be beneficial for everyone involved.”

A Cheshire East Council spokesman said: “Cheshire East currently has no plans to introduce ‘taxi marshals’ in our town centres. The council would urge any member of the public who witnesses a crime, or who suspects criminal activity or behaviour, to contact the police.”

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:47 am 

Nothing particularly new here, but I thought taxi marshall schemes were gradually disappearing rather than being introduced, or have I got the wrong impression?? :-k

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:52 am 

StuartW wrote:
Nothing particularly new here, but I thought taxi marshall schemes were gradually disappearing rather than being introduced, or have I got the wrong impression?? :-k

They've kicked them into touch round here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:24 pm 

StuartW wrote:

The money is/has run out and nobody wants to fund it anymore.

Surprised Brexit hasn't been blamed for it.