Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:29 am 

"Coventry is being left behind" - Councillor calls for Uber to come to the city

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/ ... r-14815904

Tensions have been rising between Coventry's taxi drivers and Uber drivers

A leading councillor has claimed Coventry is being "left behind" - by failing to welcome Uber to the city.

Cllr Tim Mayer's call for Uber to be allowed to operate in the city comes after an altercation between Coventry's black cab drivers and Uber drivers at Coventry Railway Station earlier this month saw a man arrested on suspicion of assault.

The incident allegedly saw a black cab driver stuck by an Uber vehicle but the man was later released.

Cllr Jayne Innes, cabinet member for city services, has previously criticised Uber for taking rides in the city without a license.

It also comes after Coventry City Council publicly opposed a partnership between Uber and Virgin Trains , which would have given train travellers an SMS link to book an Uber following their arrival at their destination station.

What has Cllr Mayer said?

In a statement, Cllr Mayer said: "It is a real shame Coventry is being left behind, we have recently been told how bad our air pollution is and the city has now been stopped from using a scheme that is aimed at encouraging more people to leave their cars at home, with a seamless door-to-door experience just from a touch of a button.

"I am concerned that as a Councillor, and member of the licensing committee I shouldn’t be against choice and enterprise. I am absolutely for backing Coventry workers but wonder whether our Labour cabinet member on the other hand is against the future so called sharing economy and technological advancements this brings.

"I was really shocked to see Cllr Jayne Innes, the Cabinet Member for City Services say 'Our drivers know the road, and can have proper conversations with customers'. What does she mean? Uber drivers are from our city and believe it or believe it not are as human as the rest of us so are more then capable of having proper conversations.

"The only people to blame for these tensions are us and our slow response to this new form of consumer choice, not neighbouring cities."

Investment needed

Cllr Mayer continued: "Labour’s removal of partnerships like the recent Virgin and Uber one would put all of that at risk for the city of Coventry, damaging the quality of life and security of ordinary working people.

"As a member of the licensing committee I do share the cabinet member's concerns when it comes to Uber’s business model and possible impact over passenger safety but think this is a red herring given her recent backings of the so called Corbyn cab which ran across Coventry and the wider Midlands with no tax or MOT.

"The fact is Technological innovations are transforming how we live and work, Coventry’s strategy must be to show how we will work with businesses to create better, higher-paying jobs rather then trying to stop the advancements made by entrepreneurs.

"What I want to see from the cabinet member is a plan to invest in our tech sector rather then stopping advancing technology despite pledging to put Coventry at the forefront of innovation.

"I want Coventry to be the biggest home for exciting new companies outside of London providing a better and more affordable service for Coventry residents."

CoventryLive asked Cllr Mayer if he would like to see Uber come to Coventry, to which he replied: "I think legalisation needs to be improved and we should be working on ensuring that happens.

"Enabling Uber and others to work in this city ensuring freedom of choice to our residents.

"I use Uber all the time in London, yet all the time in Coventry use taxi ranks and have had no communication issues or safety worries with any."

Why hasn't Uber been licensed in Coventry?
Coventry City Council previously told CoventryLive that Uber has never applied for a license in the city.

However, it has been made clear that the Council is somewhat opposed to the private hire firm, for the effect that their presence would have on the city's black cab industry.

Their frustration at Uber is compounded by the fact that despite having no license to operate in Coventry, many do so regardless.

And not only does this frustrate the council, but it has agitated Coventry's cab drivers, too.

In recent weeks, tensions between cab drivers and Uber drivers has risen, leading to a number of confrontations between drivers. On more than one occasion, these confrontations have lead to police involvement.

Cllr Jayne Innes, the Cabinet Member for City Services, has long been championing Coventry's black cab industry. She said: "Our city has a strong black cab fleet. We want people to feel safe, so we have drivers trained in how to spot things such as child exploitation.

"Our drivers know the road, and can have proper conversations with customers.

"What they are doing is really unfair, and it isn't a level playing field.

"We are doing all we can to calm things down, but it would help if other councils thought, and behaved more responsibly.

"They are ultimately responsible for altercations such as these."

With Coventry City Council investing heavily in electric taxi's and neighbouring council's continuing to licence Uber drivers, the current situation looks set to continue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:30 am 

Quote:
We are doing all we can to calm things down, but it would help if other councils thought, and behaved more responsibly.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:
We are doing all we can to calm things down, but it would help if other councils thought, and behaved more responsibly.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Defo dig at Wolverhampton.