Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 am 

West Yorkshire Police seize illegal taxi which turned up to take crash victim home

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/cr ... -1-9361935

The seized vehicle showing Uber insignia along top of window (Image: West Yorkshire Police)

Police were called to a crash on Friday - and then had to seize the taxi which was called to pick up one of the crash victims.

Police were called out to an RTC in Bradford on Friday. While at the scene, a taxi was called to pick up one of the people involved.

But the taxi which turned up had been declared SORNed - which means that the vehicle had been declared as not in use on the roads and was not legal to be driven.

In an unbelievable slice of luck for the police - or an incredible moment of stupidity for the taxi driver - the police ran a quick check and found that the car was showing as SORN.

West Yorkshire Police said: "Taxi arrives to pick folk up following an RTC, unfortunately Taxi is showing as SORN. New booking required."

The incident prompted calls for more checks on taxis.

Alex Buttery‏ said: "@WYP_RPU killed two birds with one stone it’s about time they got clamped down on."

M. Azam‏ said: "They should be checked more because most of them are dodgy when they are flooded other cities and not working in their own patches they think they get away with out checks.

"Great job officers salute you guys."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:11 am 

Wouldn't normally include a photo of that width (because on my laptop it makes the forum too wide for the screen without scrolling, and wider screeds of text are more difficult to read) but just noticed that the Yorkshire Post's image included originally had blurred out the Uber insignia.

The image now above is the unaltered version from the West Yorkshire Police's twitter feed. For what it's worth this is the Yorkshire Post one, which is obviously a lot more manageable in terms of viewing the forum:

And note that the Yorkshire Post's article doesn't mention the fact thats it's an Uber car.

(The images on here are simply links to external websites, so if they're too big for the forum then there's nothing that can be done about it other than not using them, but obviously the fact that the SORNed car was an Uber makes the story a lot more interesting.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:56 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Article makes no mention of Uber I wonder if Uber have an advertising account with them :-k

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 am 

edders23 wrote:
Article makes no mention of Uber I wonder if Uber have an advertising account with them :-k

Possibly had to blur it out for the same reasons that police blurred out the reg and plate number - maybe it's just a glitch in the system somewhere, and they have to double check before identifying the vehicle in any way.

I mean, you could understand someone being late renewing their road tax, but who'd be daft enough to declare a SORN on a plated vehicle? What's the road tax on that motor - £30 or something?

To be fair it's probably a bit more, and there's nowt as queer as folk.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:18 pm 

StuartW wrote:
West Yorkshire Police seize illegal taxi which turned up to take crash victim home

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/cr ... -1-9361935

The seized vehicle showing Uber insignia along top of window (Image: West Yorkshire Police)

Police were called to a crash on Friday - and then had to seize the taxi which was called to pick up one of the crash victims.

Police were called out to an RTC in Bradford on Friday. While at the scene, a taxi was called to pick up one of the people involved.

But the taxi which turned up had been declared SORNed - which means that the vehicle had been declared as not in use on the roads and was not legal to be driven.

In an unbelievable slice of luck for the police - or an incredible moment of stupidity for the taxi driver - the police ran a quick check and found that the car was showing as SORN.

West Yorkshire Police said: "Taxi arrives to pick folk up following an RTC, unfortunately Taxi is showing as SORN. New booking required."

The incident prompted calls for more checks on taxis.

Alex Buttery‏ said: "@WYP_RPU killed two birds with one stone it’s about time they got clamped down on."

M. Azam‏ said: "They should be checked more because most of them are dodgy when they are flooded other cities and not working in their own patches they think they get away with out checks.

"Great job officers salute you guys."

Just goes to show that chancers get caught in the most unlikely circumstances,no road fund tax =unlicensed vehicle=operator using unlicensed vehicle,driver and operator should both be prosecuted.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:07 pm 

Driver clearly trying to cut costs so probably a sign of the times ref uber Leeds protests

they are probably struggling to earn money till the students arrive back

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:08 pm 

Didn’t think Uber allowed “Taxis” on their platform?????

I can understand the press being ignorant towards the difference between Taxi/PH but surely the police should know/state the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:25 pm 

edders23 wrote:

I'm 100% certain this was a Uber vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

So am I,it states Uber in top of rear screen.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

trying reading my post again with brain switched on :lol: