Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:40 am 

There are plenty of self employed truckers and they have to follow the rules. There are also self employed coach drivers and they follow the rules too. I’ve never understood why it’s ok for taxi/private hire drivers to work such long hours without proper breaks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:28 am 

toots wrote:
There are plenty of self employed truckers and they have to follow the rules. There are also self employed coach drivers and they follow the rules too. I’ve never understood why it’s ok for taxi/private hire drivers to work such long hours without proper breaks

I guess by the very impromptu nature of our work and the type of "Any Distance and anywhere" jobs we do makes it impossible for most of us o Drive to prescribed times.

You can't be expected to Stop driving for say 45 minutes rest when your only 2 Hours into a four and half hour Journey if your client has a Plane to catch just because your driving times up, If we did so we would never be permitted to take on runs over a certain distance or duration

Coaches and Lorries tend to adhere to Pre Defined Routes which allows for such controlled stops...But in a Taxi or a Hack the routes are much more fluid and you just never know until the punter jumps in or changes their destinations mid route for whatever reason where their final destination is.

That's why we need more driver time flexibility than either Truck or Coach drivers.

By all means Cap the Working week to something realistically sensible but you can't start carving up our driving day into small chunks like the Truckers and Coach Drivers do or it would all fall apart at the seems...your next run wont be to happy if you run out of time before you collect them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
toots wrote:

I guess by the very impromptu nature of our work and the type of "Any Distance and anywhere" jobs we do makes it impossible for most of us o Drive to prescribed times.

You can't be expected to Stop driving for say 45 minutes rest when your only 2 Hours into a four and half hour Journey if your client has a Plane to catch just because your driving times up, If we did so we would never be permitted to take on runs over a certain distance or duration

Coaches and Lorries tend to adhere to Pre Defined Routes which allows for such controlled stops...But in a Taxi or a Hack the routes are much more fluid and you just never know until the punter jumps in or changes their destinations mid route for whatever reason where their final destination is.

That's why we need more driver time flexibility than either Truck or Coach drivers.

By all means Cap the Working week to something realistically sensible but you can't start carving up our driving day into small chunks like the Truckers and Coach Drivers do or it would all fall apart at the seems...your next run wont be to happy if you run out of time before you collect them.

Why would you have to stop after two hours for 45 minutes?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:14 pm 

toots wrote:

Why would you have to stop after two hours for 45 minutes?

Probably because he had been sat around for 3 hours waiting for the job or he had been doing other taxi jobs for 3 hours when the punter got in to go on the jong jaunt meaning the driver was legally required to take a break after 2 hours of the journey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:02 pm 

toots wrote:
I’ve never understood why it’s ok for taxi/private hire drivers to work such long hours without proper breaks

It's because they can, and quite often the spivs rely on them working crazy hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:23 am 

Report Presentation to Parliament 13/11/18

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... ac871591c9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Report Presentation to Parliament 13/11/18

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... ac871591c9

Having watched the whole debate I'm struck by the general (all party) support to getting cross border sorted out, one way or another.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 am 

Don't know if these links will work, but they're for anyone who wants to download a file of the meeting to their hard drive or whatever. In any case the links will expire in 24 hours.

If these links don't work it's easy enough to download them yourself via Sussex's link above - just put in a Start Time of 14:30, and End Time of 16:00.

The video is 739MB, the audio-only file just 42MB.

I went for the audio-only download, because I use Bluetooth via my phone to access the internet, and the video was going to take more than two hours, while the audio file took little more than 5 minutes. But if you have a reasonable broadband connection then the video file of 739MB shouldn't take too long.

Audio-only (42MB)
https://parliamentlive.tv/Download/Inde ... 24880abc68

Video (739MB)
https://parliamentlive.tv/Download/Inde ... d6585af0b8