Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm 

Taxi driver robbed after knife threats on Craylands, Basildon

https://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co. ... -basildon/

Image: Braintree & Witham Times

ARMED robbers directed a taxi driver to the Craylands Estate before robbing him.

Detectives are appealing for information after the premeditated knifepoint robbery.

It took place at about 9.30pm on Tuesday night.

Taxi firm A&B taxis fear the attack was planned after the cab was booked through a withheld number, before the passengers threatened the driver with a knife as he arrived at the destination.

The cab travelled from Exeter Close to Avon Way before the crooks escaped with less than £100 between them.

Company owner Gary Brand revealed he will have to decide how to respond with “driver’s safety paramount”.

He said: “The driver is very shaken, but he is okay, which is of course the most important thing.

“Obviously, we are hugely disappointed.

"At the moment, it does seem like it was a pre-meditated attack, because the people who booked called off a withheld number, and then obviously attacked when they reached the destination.

“Now, I think we are going to be a bit more careful, we may have to look at our customer policy and say we are not going to take any bookings unless people give their number.

“Our driver’s safety is paramount.

“I guess now we will have to be more vigilant to ensure our drivers are as safe as possible.

“Police have fingerprinted and the investigation is ongoing at this stage.”

Essex Police is investigating the incident, urging witnesses to come forward.

A spokesman said: “We were called shortly after 9.30pm on Tuesday, October 2 to reports of a robbery in Basildon.

“The victim, a taxi driver, reported he had collected two men from Exeter Close and had travelled to Avon Way.

“The victim was then threatened with a knife and a two-figure sum of cash was taken before the men made off on foot.

“If you have any information about the incident please call us on 101 quoting the crime reference number 42/143123/18.”

Alternatively, contact dedicated crime fighting charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 08000 555111, or online at https://crimestoppers-uk.org/give-infor ... nonymously.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:52 pm 

Quote:
“Now, I think we are going to be a bit more careful, we may have to look at our customer policy and say we are not going to take any bookings unless people give their number.

“Our driver’s safety is paramount."

A bit of cynicism in the comments, obviously from someone in the trade:

Quote:
"Our drivers safety is paramount."

Forgive my cynicism, but I saw not one public statement from any Taxi company in relation to the turn-off of streetlights. If safety really was paramount, they'd have been shouting from the rooftops.

The cost of CCTV systems are met entirely by the driver. I am not aware that any Taxi company in this area either subsidises them or offers any monitoring facility.

When matters involve the Police it is the driver that is responsible for reporting and following up offences, the Taxi companies are not pro-active in this respect and often don't even ban problem customers, leaving other drivers similarly exposed.

It should be remembered that most drivers are self-employed and don't expect to be cosseted, but these 'our driver's safety' comments sound somewhat hollow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 pm 

Quote:
"At the moment, it does seem like it was a pre-meditated attack, because the people who booked called off a withheld number, and then obviously attacked when they reached the destination.

The police can get that number quite quickly if they choose too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:24 pm 

Second taxi driver robbed at knifepoint in Basildon

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/169626 ... -basildon/

A TAXI driver has been robbed of his cash and phone by two men at knifepoint.

This is the second cabbie robbery inside 24 hours and has sparked fear among the taxi driver community.

In the latest robbery, the two thugs targeted a driver from Basildon-based Value Cars.

The men were picked up from Bockingham Green and directed the driver to a secluded area of Fairlop Gardens.

The driver, a 35-year-old who has asked to remain anonymous, said: “I thought they looked a bit scruffy and they smelt unclean, but they were making small talk with me and asked if I had a good day.

“They then directed me to a set of garages around the back of some houses at a dead end.

“Then one of them grabbed me by the shirt and put a knife to my throat while the other got out and opened the driver door.”

The man pulled the key out of the ignition and demanded the driver handed over cash.

“I had only had about three people before them so I didn’t have much. They asked for more so I took £30 or £40 out of my pocket and gave it to them.”

The men smashed the car radio and then stole the driver’s phone before fleeing the scene, leaving the driver shaken but physically unharmed.

This comes less than 24 hours after an A&B taxi driver was robbed by two men at knifepoint and police are investigating a possible link. The Value Cars driver said he believes they are the same people after exchanging suspect photos with the A&B driver.

The father-of-two added: “It was absolutely terrifying. You think about these things and if you will retaliate but I have a wife and kids - I can’t afford to argue over a couple of quid.

“I let the other drivers know as soon as it happened. All the drivers are being careful about who they are picking up now. Nothing like this has happened to me in the six years I have been a taxi driver.”

The first suspect is described as white, 5ft 10ins tall, aged 30 to 35, of medium build, with a scruffy beard and wore a blue puffed jacket and tracksuit bottoms. The second was black, of slim to medium build, a similar height and age and wore a jumper and blue jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police quoting 42/143478/18.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:08 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
how many did they do in Newcastle before they got caught ?

I think there will be more yet they have discovered how easy it is

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:57 pm 

StuartW wrote:
“I thought they looked a bit scruffy and they smelt unclean,'
95% of my customers :badgrin:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:08 pm 

Well this looks dodgy - Brentwood's just a few miles up the road from Basildon.

Slightly different MO by the looks of it, but could well be a copycat since it seems the Basildon robberies featured quite prominently in local media.

Taxi driver robbed at knifepoint in Brentwood

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-n ... od-2081084

It took place in the early hours

A taxi driver has been robbed at knifepoint in the early hours of the morning after picking up a fare from Brentwood Station.

The victim had picked a man up outside the station at around 3.30am this morning (Saturday October 6) and the man had asked to be driven to Tesco.

During the journey, on King Edward Road , Essex Police say the man threatened the taxi driver with a knife and robbed him of a two-figure sum of cash.

Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to contact Essex Police on 101 quoting the crime reference number 42/144761/18.

You can also contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:08 am 

Another driver attacked in Brentwood, but no indication that robbery the motive this time.

Taxi driver attacked by hammer-wielding gang

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/170074 ... ding-gang/

A taxi driver has been attacked and threatened by a hammer-wielding gang. 

Police were called at around 10.15pm to High Street, Brentwood.

The men ran from the scene before being stopped by police at around 10.50pm in Rose Valley, Brentwood.

A 29-year-old man from Hornchurch and two men, aged 23 and 28 from Hockley, remain in custody for questioning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:28 pm 

Result =D>

Two men targeted taxi drivers during spree of robberies

https://www.braintreeandwithamtimes.co. ... robberies/

TWO men have admitted a string of robberies which involved targeting taxi drivers and stealing hundreds of pounds.

Patrick Burke, 29, of Audley Way, Basildon, and Jazz West, 26, of no fixed address both admitted the robberies on taxi drivers in Avon Way and Fairlop Gardens, Basildon, last month.

On both occasions, the two men booked a taxi to pick them up and travelled a little way before threatening the driver and demanding cash.

In the first offence, on October 2, the men made off with about £100 after threatening the driver from A&B taxis in Avon Way at about 9.30pm.

The following day, the pair threatened a Value Cars taxi driver before pulling the key out of the ignition, grabbing the driver’s shirt and demanding cash.

They made off with cash and a mobile phone worth a combined value of £685 from the second driver after smashing his car radio.

Both drivers were left extremely shaken, but uninjured by the robbers.

West was also charged with two additional robberies of McColl’s shops in Whitmore Way and Felmores End, Basildon, in June this year as well as burglaries in Maldon and Runwell and one count of theft from TK Maxx in Basildon.

He admitted all additional charges when he appeared with Burke from HMP Chelmsford via video link at Basildon Crown Court yesterday.

Sentencing was adjourned by judge Samantha Leigh and both men were remanded in custody so the probation service could carry out a dangerousness assessment due to the serious nature of the offences.

Burke appeared at Basildon Magistrates in September where he admitted causing serious injury after crashing his Honda motorbike last August.

Burke was charged with driving without due care and attention while under the influence of cannabis and without a licence or insurance.

He admitted the charges and is also due to be sentenced for these offences.

Both men will be sentenced at Basildon Crown Court on December 17.

Judge Leigh barred West’s family from being present at future hearings after they shouted out in court.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:55 pm 

I very much look forward to them receiving a long sentence.

Well done to the police for clearing this up. =D>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I very much look forward to them receiving a long sentence.

These things take time... :roll: ](*,)

Taxi driver robbers have sentencing delayed after 'misbehaving' in court cells

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/173090 ... urt-cells/

THE sentencing of two violent robbers has been postponed due to their “misbehaviour” in the cells at crown court.

Patrick Burke, 29, of Audley Way, Basildon, and Jazz West, 26, of no fixed address, both admitted two robberies which saw hundreds of pounds stolen from taxi drivers at knife-point.

On both occasions, the two men booked a taxi to pick them up and travelled a little way before threatening the driver and demanding cash.

In the first offence, on October 2, the men made off with about £100 after threatening the driver from A&B taxis, in Avon Way, Basildon, at about 9.30pm.

The following day, the pair threatened a Value Cars taxi driver before pulling the key out of the ignition, grabbing the driver’s shirt and demanding cash.

They made off with cash and a mobile phone worth a combined value of £685 from the second driver after smashing his car radio.

Both drivers were left extremely shaken, but uninjured by the robbers.

West was also charged with two additional robberies of McColl’s shops in Whitmore Way and Felmores End, Basildon, in June this year.

In addition, he admitted burglaries in Maldon and Runwell and one count of theft from TK Maxx in Basildon.

As well as the two counts of robbery, Burke appeared at Basildon Magistrates in September and admitted causing serious injury after crashing his Honda motorbike last August.

Burke was charged with driving without due care and attention while under the influence of cannabis and without a licence or insurance.

He admitted the charges and was also due to be sentenced for these offences.

The sentencing hearing for all these offences was due to take place at Basildon Crown Court yesterday afternoon before judge Ian Graham.

However, the courts were forced to adjourn the hearing due to the pair “misbehaving” in the cells ahead of their appearance.

The nature of their behaviour is not exactly known but it is thought they were being disruptive and making a large amount of noise in the holding cells on the ground floor of the courthouse.

A representative for the court said the two men had to be returned to HMP Chelmsford “for safety reasons”.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:17 am 

Not really much on the taxi angle here, but just posted it for the sake of completeness.

Armed robbers jailed after terrorising taxi drivers and cashiers

https://www.maldonandburnhamstandard.co ... -cashiers/

ARMED robbers have been jailed after terrorising taxi drivers and shop assistants with knives.

Jazz West (Image: Maldon Standard)

Patrick Burke (Image: Maldon Standard)

Jazz West, 26, was sent to prison for eight years for a combination of armed robberies and burglaries.

Career criminal Patrick Burke was also jailed for a motorbike crash which left his passenger paralysed from the waist down.

Burke, 29, of Audley Way, Basildon, was jailed for seven years including five years for robberies and two for driving offences.

Judge Ian Graham, at Basildon Crown Court on Friday, said: “You both have long records of previous offences, Patrick Burke I note you have no previous convictions for robberies or offences involving weapons.

Jazz West you will get credit for your plea, you do have previous convictions for robberies.

“I note your poor family background which lead to problems with drugs leading to this.”

While being sentenced West launched into a foul mouthed tirade at the prosecution causing the microphones to be removed from the video conference room at Chelmsford prison where they were being sentenced.

The pair admitted robbing taxi drivers in Avon Way on October 2 and Fairlop Gardens, Basildon the following day.

On each occasion they threatened the taxi driver with a knife and demanded money fleeing with hundreds of pounds.

They were arrested on October 7 after a taxi driver recognised a picture and picked them out of an identity parade.

They admitted the offences in November.

West also admitted two further counts of robbery relating to incidents at McColl’s stores in Basildon.

The first took place at the store in Felmores End at around 6.10am on June 29 when two men went in, grabbed a member of staff, and demanded money before making off with cash and cigarettes.

Later that day, two men entered a store in Whitmore Way. A member of staff was threatened with a knife and hundreds of pounds worth of cash and cigarettes were taken.

West also admitted burglaries in Plains Road, Maldon and Brock Hill, Runwell on January 3 and a theft from TK Maxx in Miles Gray Road, Basildon on July 27.

A third man, 27 year-old Brett Bruce, of Malyons, Basildon, had already pleaded guilty to two counts of robbery in relation to the robberies at the McColls shops.

He was sentenced to three years and six months in prison on December 19, 2018.

Burke was also disqualified from driving in connection with a collision where the pillion passenger of the motorbike he was riding was left paralysed.

Burke had overtaken two cars and was about to overtake a Peugeot 206 that had slowed down and was signalling to turn right.

The bike collided with the car’s offside, sending Burke and his 20-year-old pillion passenger across the bonnet.

Both men were taken to the Royal London Hospital with life threatening injuries. Burke suffered a broken pelvis, broken elbow and broken ankle. His passenger has been left paralysed from the waist down.

An investigation was carried out into the collision, which happened in Great Knightleys, Basildon, on August 24 last year.

Burke, who was voluntarily interviewed, had no driving licence or insurance and had cannabis in his blood above the prescribed limit.

He appeared at Basildon Magistrates’ Court on September 6 last year and admitted charges of causing serious injury by driving while disqualified, careless driving, drug-driving, driving without insurance and driving without a driving licence.

He has been disqualified from driving.

PC Matthew Musson said: “Jazz West and Patrick Burke were comfortable threatening violence towards taxi drivers who were just trying to go about their business.

“These robberies, and the ones at the McColl’s sores, were frightening incidents for those involved. No-one should be made to fear for their safety, let alone at their place of work.

“West in particular is a prolific offender who has little or no respect for other people’s property.

“I hope West and Burke use their sentences to reflect on their actions and the impact their crimes have had.”

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 pm 

Quote:
While being sentenced West launched into a foul mouthed tirade at the prosecution causing the microphones to be removed from the video conference room at Chelmsford prison where they were being sentenced.

Be in no doubt that made the CPS's day. \:D/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:18 pm 

Quote:
“I hope West and Burke use their sentences to reflect on their actions and the impact their crimes have had.”

No chance, career criminals that will only stop when they take too much, or dodgy, drugs.