Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:11 pm 

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

At least he 'usually' manages a wee break :roll:

Not a great surprise that there's the odd driver working shifts like this, but bragging about it in the press? #-o

Suspect many in the trade livid when they read this :-s

The workers who keep Glasgow going on Christmas Day: George, taxi driver

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... g-15538350

Image: Glasgow Live

As part of our new festive series, meet George - he's worked every single Christmas for 25 years, starting at 6am and not clocking off until 2am

For most people in Glasgow, Christmas Day will be spent with family, friends and far more food than it’s possible to eat.

On December 25, folk like to kick back, relax and have a drink - meaning someone else has to do the driving.

For that reason, one group of people who can’t take a day off are taxi drivers, who experience some of their busiest periods at Christmas.

George McIntosh, a driver with Glasgow Taxis, is one such man and has worked Christmas Day every year for a quarter of a century.

Speaking to Glasgow Live , he said that working at Christmas was a bit of a highlight because everyone was so cheerful.

He said:“I enjoy working on Christmas Day as everyone is in a great mood.

“I start at around 6am because a lot of people – including myself – need to work on Christmas Day. I’ll then pick up the elderly from care homes and take them to where they are having their Christmas lunch followed by families.

“Then at around 3pm, it’s time to take everyone home again but it’s great fun as everyone is in good spirits, especially the kids who are full of sugar!”

Of course, everyone needs a break and George usually has time to grab a wee one during the day, before continuing to ferry the people of Glasgow around. Given how differently people celebrate Christmas, there is always something for George to do, from early morning church goers to late night revellers.

George continued: “I usually stop off during the day for a rest but after I go back out, I can get home as late as 2am.

“I don’t have Christmas Dinner on December 25 – I save that for Boxing Day. I always take that off.

“I feel a bit like Santa Claus on Christmas Day because I’m there to take everyone to see their family and enjoy themselves.”

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm 

Not only a very sad man but also a very stupid one. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:55 pm 

I bet he does those hours every day , another one with no family life.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:25 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Not only a very sad man but also a very stupid one. #-o

There are times when drivers should keep their gobs shut.

This is one such time. :-#