Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:07 pm 

You don't see many of these :shock:

Not much information to go on, but suspect this is related to that recent takeover stuff in Andover and the firm in question not having an operator's licence in Test Valley.

Andover driver guilty of breaching licensing laws

https://loveandover.com/news/local-news ... aws-14377/

A private hire driver from Andover has been prosecuted after twice breaching licensing laws.

On 8th November at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court, Norman Reay from Andover pleaded guilty to accepting a booking on 18th May from a firm not licensed to operate in Test Valley.

This meant that he undertook the work without the relevant operator licence.

Mr Reay also pleaded guilty to failing to provide details of the private hire operator he was working for following a request from Test Valley Borough Council’s licensing department. He was ordered to pay a £40 fine, £30 victim surcharge and £50 costs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This appeared on the same news website a few hours later, and is obviously not unrelated. A tad cynical perhaps for one firm to make out they're riding to the rescue when other cynics will view it simply as exploiting a business opportunity offered when an existing cab office closed.

But what seems slightly bizarre is the involvement of the news website (Love Andover) and others unrelated to the trade getting involved in getting a new office up and running.

Or maybe I'm just being too cynical, but suspect it's simply a new cab office rather than a 'pop-up office' or 'safe space'. Reminds me of all the sugar-coated stuff from the Chelmsford firm 'advertising' for new drivers :roll:

Safe, pop up taxi office planned for Andover

https://loveandover.com/news/local-news ... ver-14388/

A pop up taxi office for vulnerable people is being planned for Andover town centre.

Over the Christmas period, Angel Cars and Love Andover plans to work with local companies and Test Valley Borough Council to help protect people who may be at risk after an evening’s revelling.

Since the forced closure of the A&B Cars office on Winchester Street, a number of local people including St Mary’s ward councillor Iris Andersen have contacted Love Andover to find a solution to the worrying problem of often young females not getting authorised transport home at the end of a night.

Cllr Andersen, off her own back had previously asked Andover Andover Radio to publicise the need for more attention to young people getting home at weekends, she said “It’s really worrying to think of young people being at risk at night.

“There has been lots of talk about what to do now there’s no secure taxi office in town, so I am so pleased that Angel Cars have taken the initiative to find a solution. I hope that the Street Pastors or Andover Methodist Church could find a way to help”.

Love Andover is in discussion with two well-known local businesses about using one of their empty stores as a base for the private hire car service.

This location will be well-advertised, signposted, secure and should hopefully work in tandem with an organisation such as the Andover street pastors to offer a safe environment for young people.

The service will be specifically for those who may be at risk, are vulnerable or feel unsafe. They can use the ‘safe space’ to wait until licensed transport arrives.

Dan Murphy, co-owner of Angel Cars says, “We responded quickly when it was confirmed that the Alpha Cars arrangement with A&B Cars resulted in the cessation of their operators licence.

“We and a great many other people are concerned about having vulnerable people, particularly those who may suffer anxiety on the streets of Andover late at night.

“There has been an occasion recently where a driver had been operating without a valid licence and we want to ensure people are safe on their journey home, when using private hire cars”.

David Harber from Andover Radio adds, “Shortly after Iris mentioned her concerns to me a while back, we had an influx of people contacting us to see if there was anything we could do. One lady over Facebook gave us some harrowing stories of the vulnerability of young women in Andover. I am pleased than Sarah and Dan from Angel Cars have stepped up to the mark”.

A confidential message on Facebook to Andover Radio said:

Sarah Sharp from Angel Cars who was the originator of the concept says, “When my daughter wants to go out, I always knew going to the A&B office was a safe place. It made me think about all the other vulnerable people out there, especially after they have been drinking.

“People lose their inhibitions when they have been drinking and think this can cause a increasing amounts of problems during ‘party season’.

“We are all thinking the same thing, and I really think this is a great solution. There’s a lot to do, including finalising premises, insurances and publicity but I really hope that community minded people, businesses and organisations around the town can pull together and prevent the obvious potential problems”.

More information will appear on 95.9FM Andover Radio and our Facebook page @LoveAndover as this project progresses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 am 

Another prosecution for an operator's licence failure - seems to be a thing down there.

Andover taxi driver hit with fine after licensing breach

https://loveandover.com/news/local-news ... ach-14576/

An Andover private hire driver has been hit with a £170 fine after he pleaded guilty to operating without a licence.

Jamil Chowdury failed to renew his operator licence after it ran out in November 2017.

It is understood that he applied to Test Valley Borough Council to renew it in June 2018 but had taken bookings during the intervening period.

Mr Chowdury was convicted at Basingstoke Magistrates’ Court on November 29 and ordered to pay a £170 fine, £30 victim surcharge and £100 costs.

This comes at a time where there remains questions over the legality of the operation of local companies A&B Cars and Andover Cars after their supposed acquisition by Alpha Cars of Basingstoke, a company which does not have an operators licence in the Test Valley.

Corporate portfolio holder, Councillor Maureen Flood, said of Mr Chowdury’s conviction, “The safety of our residents is paramount and we will pursue court action for any breach of licensing.

“The council’s licensing team carries out comprehensive checks on operators, drivers and their vehicles and ensures that they are safe and fit to provide the service. Operating without a licence puts customers at risk.

“Usually there is an increase in the use of taxis and private hire vehicles over the festive season and I remind residents to check that they are using licensed, reputable operators.

“If they are concerned that someone is operating without the correct licences then I urge them to contact the council as soon as possible and we will investigate.”

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:07 am 

Quote:
] It is understood that he applied to Test Valley Borough Council to renew it in June 2018 but had taken bookings during the intervening period.

](*,)