Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:29 pm 

Leamington woman with assistance dog claims she was refused travel by Uber twice in 24 hours

A Leamington woman who needs an assistance dog has claimed she was refused travel by Uber twice in 24 hours due to drivers not wanting to take the dog. Ruby Welsford, 27, has several disabilities, including dyspraxia, cerebral palsy, sensory processing disorder and a hand tremor.

Her disabilities can sometimes cause her brain to become overloaded, which can 'shut down' her body. She has a a six-year-old labrador collie cross, called Betsy, to help her when this happens. Betsy provides 'deep pressure' by using her body weight to push onto Ruby when her body shuts down. This produces a calming effect and reduces the severity of the shutdown.

Ruby said: "When we go in a car she just sits down in the footwell, and she puts her feet on me. It does not require assistance from the driver at all. She's very used to travelling."

On Tuesday December 18, Ruby called an Uber to take her and Betsy to Sainsbury's Local in Radford Road. When the driver arrived and saw Betsy, Ruby said he refused to let them travel. After Ruby explained the laws around assistance dogs, she eventually persuaded the driver to take them.

But less than 24 hours later on Wednesday December 19, she claimed the same problem happened again when she called an Uber to take her and Betsy to TK Maxx in Leamington Shopping Park. Ruby said she was unable to persuade the second driver, who drove off without taking them. Ruby added: "I'm used to being refused [by Uber]. But the fact it's happened twice in 24 hours is ridiculous. "I'm the least confrontational person ever, but when it happened the second time the red mist descended."

Ruby, a dog trainer who taught Betsy to be an assistance dog herself, is now trying to get Uber to update its app to stop incidents like this from happening. She suggested Uber should allow drivers to anonymously upload any council-issued medical exemption certificates, which could preclude them from taking dogs, to their profiles.

And customers with assistance dogs could also inform Uber through their profiles so its software would always send an appropriate driver and vehicle to pick them up. She added: "I'm a big believer in not just moaning, but trying to find solutions as well. "Uber is a big company, and they've got some complex technology behind their app. I don't think it's impossible for them to make some little changes."

Uber has been contacted for comment.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 am 

Sussex wrote:

Her disabilities can sometimes cause her brain to become overloaded, which can 'shut down' her body. She has a a six-year-old labrador collie cross, called Betsy, to help her when this happens. Betsy provides 'deep pressure' by using her body weight to push onto Ruby when her body shuts down. This produces a calming effect and reduces the severity of the shutdown.

It never ceases to amaze me what they can train dogs to recognise and help with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:29 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I was wondering what sort of breed an Ass dog is

a bit like a bulldog but uglier ? :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:05 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me what they can train dogs to recognise and help with.

My mates mum has one because she has fits. The dog does a command 20-30 minutes before the fit takes hold of her. She goes into a room and lays on the floor with nothing around her.

Dogs have been known to sniff out cancer before, I remember reading in one paper about a chap who's dog kept sniffing him between the legs, during a visit to the doctors for a blood test for something they found out he'd got prostrate cancer. The dogs sniffing was it's way of telling it's owner something was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:26 pm 

Quote:
My mates mum has one because she has fits. The dog does a command 20-30 minutes before the fit takes hold of her. She goes into a room and lays on the floor with nothing around her.

Picked up a lady the other day who's dog did just that.

Amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:14 am 

Nidge2 wrote:

Dogs have been known to sniff out cancer before, I remember reading in one paper about a chap who's dog kept sniffing him between the legs, during a visit to the doctors for a blood test for something they found out he'd got prostrate cancer. The dogs sniffing was it's way of telling it's owner something was wrong.

My sister had a string of spaniels and she got rid of them all because they would not stop climbing on her and trying to lick her face and she couldn't stop them. It didn't matter what she said they would not stop. Every time she rang me she would constantly keep telling them to get down. I think they were trying to tell her that she had lung cancer. She died after a few months.