Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:25 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I'm windows XP

:shock:

And I thought my laptop was pretty basic (cost £180 brand new in 2015 :-o ).

Didn't think there was many XP machines still around, but come to think about it my sister has just got rid of a Dell XP desktop, although it hadn't fired up properly for a couple of years.

Did the job, though, although obviously pretty basic. I used to use her Dell for ripping CDs. There's a quirk by which Sony group CDs won't rip on Windows 7 onwards, and never really got to the bottom of why that was.

Of course, I don't think brand new laptops have disc drives these days, although mine still does, and suspect it was bought at about the time disc drives were being phased out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
taxi booking system had to be XP (until they switched it off :evil: ) but I have always liked XP the trouble is the system is getting a little less reliable now. Plus I am finding I am excluded from about a third to a half of all websites because my browser is an older version and cannot update it unless I install windows 10

But XP still works well for everything else as long as you keep automatic updates disabled or microsoft will download something to your system that will kill it ! Cost me a few quid to put that right but I suspect your sisters PC was a victim of that as well. It could probably be sorted by getting someone to roll back the windows updates

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:28 am 

Yes, old software can still do the trick, especially if your needs are basic. I'm still using Word 2003 and Excel 2003, and Paint Shop Pro from 1998 for basic photo editing.

Been using Internet Explorer until a few months back. One or two features I always liked, but it got so slow at times, and when I loaded it you could hear the hard drive ticking away for three or four minute until it loaded properly #-o

Although that was maybe because my hard drive has been 99% full for months now :oops: Which brings me on to Windows updates - don't get me started on that :evil:

Latest thing is that it keeps asking me to free up hard drive space to install the latest version, so that's one good reason to keep the hard drive 99% full 8)

And I use my phone as a mobile hotspot all the time for broadband (no landline, satellite or cable, or whatever), but because the wi-fi on my laptop is knackered I connect it to my phone via Bluetooth :-s

But Bluetooth is painfully slow if it's downloading a huge Windows update, and it can easily make the web browser more or less unusable for maybe 12 hours even for basic internet stuff, or at least makes it very, very slow.

And you can't set a Bluetooth web connection as metered, which is one way to stop the autormatic Windows downloads :roll: (it was a lot easier with XP to stop the automatic Windows updates, as I recall it =D> )

In fact just found a way to stop the Windows updates in past couple of weeks :D

But suppose that if you're still on XP it's maybe a good job this site is using software from the dark ages :shock:

Months now since I visited TaxiPoint, partly because of the software and all the bells and whistles on there, which could take an eternity to load on my machine - breaking news could become old news before it loaded :badgrin:

Funnily enough, I see it's TDO's birthday. 17 today :-o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 pm 

Quote:
Funnily enough, I see it's TDO's birthday. 17 today :-o

Feels like yesterday.

:---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---) :---)