Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 pm 

More south-west spec shenanigans - makes the Cornwall debate over kneeroom and legroom seem quite sensible ](*,)

Man who wants to be taxi driver slams council as application denied by rule change

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-ne ... er-2763237

Boot space and mileage saw Lloyd Seecharran's application fall flat

Image: Devon Live

A Devon man has labelled Torbay Council 'shambolic' after falling foul of not one but two technicalities while trying to have his car licensed as a taxi.

Lloyd Seecharran claims his 2015 Toyota Auris had 49000 miles on the clock when he applied for his taxi licence, which he says cost him the best part of £600.

However, his application was apparently refused after his car narrowly failed the minimum boot space requirement.

Lloyd says he then contested the decision as he felt his boot was big enough - and Torbay Council agreed with his appeal.

However, by that point, the maximum mileage limit had been reduced from 60,000 miles to 50,000, and Lloyd's car had already crept over the 50,000 mile threshhold.

"What a coincidence – what a strange coincidence!," said Lloyd. "It has been shambolic.

"When I applied, they said that car was ideal because it was so environmentally friendly. They said they wanted all cars to be like that by 2020.

"I applied for my taxi licence, which costs quite a pretty penny, but when it came down to the wire, they looked at it and said my car didn’t meet their standards over boot space.

"I also have a letter from an approved Toyota dealership confirming that there are no modifications and that the boot space was okay.

"They finally measured it two months later and said ‘oh yes, you do meet our requirements for boot space. Oh, by the way, our mileage requirements have changed'.

"They dilly-dallied for so long before they actually came to look at it that, by that time, the mileage limit went down from 60,000 to 50,000. They knew that my mileage was close to 50,000 when I applied for my badge.

"I said it wasn’t my fault and it was under when I had applied. I just feel they did not want my car licensed."

Torbay Council said they were unable to comment on Lloyd's case.

A spokesperson said: “Due to this matter currently being subject to a Local Government Ombudsman Complaint it would be inappropriate for us to comment at this time.”

The council also confirmed that the mileage limit did change at the start of November last year after 'a public consultation which included all drivers, vehicle owners and operators'.

"There is a maximum mileage limit," continued the spokesperson. "That is designed to ensure that vehicles are of an acceptable standard. This was decreased from 60,000 miles to 50,000 miles.

"he change in policy was discussed and agreed on 1 November 2018. This followed a public consultation which included all drivers, vehicle owners and operators.

"The changes came into force on 2 November 2018 and were publicised both on our website and by email to all licence holders."

Lloyd remains unimpressed though, and he has vowed to continue his fight to have his vehicle licensed.

"They can’t break my spirit – when you know you are right, you are right," he said.

"They can’t get around the fact that my car passed the boot space requirement right from the word go.

"They even said it was up to their digression, so there are probably cars out there with a smaller boot space than mine. They certainly did not apply any digression to me and my case."

Image: Devon Live

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm 

Quote:
"They even said it was up to their digression, so there are probably cars out there with a smaller boot space than mine. They certainly did not apply any digression to me and my case."

Discretion, presumably.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:49 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so now not only age rules but mileage rules :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:46 pm 

Quote:
A spokesperson said: “Due to this matter currently being subject to a Local Government Ombudsman Complaint it would be inappropriate for us to comment at this time."

I look forward to reading the outcome of that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:05 pm 

Appeal it to the magistrate's court, he'll probably win there. I did with a similar argument with Shepway over the ago of one of my cars.

I got a new Auris hybrid licenced; the qualms there were over what fire extinguisher to carry. foam and water are no good one electrical fires!