Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:18 pm 

MP calls on council to let private hire cars use controversial Aberdeen bus gate

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... -bus-gate/

Image: Evening Express

An MP has called for the local authority to reconsider allowing private hire vehicle to use a controversial Aberdeen bus gate.

Kirsty Blackman wrote to Angela Scott, chief executive of Aberdeen City Council, regarding the Bedford Road bus gate in a bid to change its rules.

Currently taxis are allowed to go through the area but private hire vehicles are not – meaning they have to go the long way round when collecting or dropping off customers.

Ms Blackman said the current position can affect disabled residents, who may often rely on taxi vehicles as their sole means of transport to get about.

Image: Evening Express

In her letter, Ms Blackman said: “I have been advised that often when a consumer phones a taxi company to arrange a taxi to attend their property, a private hire vehicle may attend in its place.

“To the consumer, whether a taxi or private hire vehicle attends makes no difference, except that a private hire vehicle is required to make an extended journey around the Bedford Road bus gate.

“Further to this, I understand that private hire vehicles are able to access bus lanes without penalty and I am unsure why they have been excluded from accessing the bus gate, negatively impacting customers.

“I have also been advised that this disproportionately affects disabled customers who often rely on taxi and private hire vehicles as their sole means of transport.

“I would urge you could reconsider the council’s position and allow private hire vehicles to access the Bedford Road bus gate without penalty.”

It emerged last year that the site would not be opened up to give residents access, after they complained they had to endure long tailbacks from having to drive around.

Taxis were voted to be allowed access in November 2017, after the gate was installed in May 2016, to stop drivers using Bedford Road as a through-road after the Diamond Bridge opened.

A council spokeswoman said: “We can confirm that the Chief Executive has received a letter from Kirsty Blackman yesterday regarding the Bedford Road bus gate and will respond to Ms Blackman directly in due course.”

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:24 pm 

Kirsty Blackman wrote:
“I have been advised that often when a consumer phones a taxi company to arrange a taxi to attend their property, a private hire vehicle may attend in its place.

“To the consumer, whether a taxi or private hire vehicle attends makes no difference, except that a private hire vehicle is required to make an extended journey around the Bedford Road bus gate.

“Further to this, I understand that private hire vehicles are able to access bus lanes without penalty and I am unsure why they have been excluded from accessing the bus gate, negatively impacting customers."

Good sense from Kirsty Blackman, which makes a change from the SNP group's antics in the House of Commons [-X

As far as I know the offices in Aberdeen are mixed HC/PH, all use same meters and drivers pass the same knowledge etc. So for the customer it's basically pot luck if they phone for a car and it can't access the bus gate.

And Ms Blackman is ex-licensing chair in Aberdeen, so she'll know what she's talking about.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:25 pm 

Quote:
And Ms Blackman is ex-licensing chair in Aberdeen, so she'll know what she's talking about.

Actually, forget I said that :badgrin:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:00 pm 

Madness to prohibit one side of the trade from a section of the city.

I suspect someone from the PH side of the trade was asleep when all this was being decided. :roll: :roll: :roll: