Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:15 pm 

Taxi driver caught speeding at 104mph on Christmas Day

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... ph-2880259

He said: "The road was clear. There were no drivers and I accelerated to get home."

A taxi driver lost his job after being caught speeding at 104mph and 98mph on Christmas Day.

Mohammed Arshad, of Trentham Drive, Aspley, had 11 points put on his driving licence after admitting twice breaking the 70mph limit on a motorway.

Magistrates allowed him to keep driving - but he ran into trouble when he told Gedling Borough Council about the two offences.

The licensing committee told him they planned to withdraw permission for him to work as a taxi driver. But they suspended the ban so he could lodge an appeal before city magistrates.

Now he has lost the case and was ordered to pay £540 costs of the council.

Arshad, 54, told the court that the speeding tickets were issued after he was driving back home when he had just taken his son back to university.

He said: "The road was clear. There were no drivers and I accelerated to get home.

"There were two cameras in a short distance and in a few minutes. I realise I made a mistake. I have never had an accident or done anything like this before."

He was helped by an Urdu interpreter in court and said that he had worked as a cabbie in the UK since 2012. Before that he did the job in Germany and said: "I have been driving in Pakistan since 1988.

"There is not much I can say. It will be hardship for me if I don't get my badge back."

Leanne Splaine, for the council, told the court: "The over-riding principle is public interest, public safety and public protection.

"Due to the offences and the speed, we felt his licence should be revoked."

Presiding magistrate Patricia Walsh, who sat with two other colleagues, told Arshad: "We find that Gedling Borough Council policy is clear and takes account of case law.

"Whilst we recognise you will lose your income, we agree there are no exceptional circumstances that would result in Gedling Borough Council departing from that policy."

Arshad, whose home address was not given in court, can ask the council later to hand back his taxi licence.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 pm 

Quote:
The licensing committee told him they planned to withdraw permission for him to work as a taxi driver. But they suspended the ban so he could lodge an appeal before city magistrates.

Not sure that's the best description of the process I've read [-(

Quote:
He was helped by an Urdu interpreter in court and said that he had worked as a cabbie in the UK since 2012. Before that he did the job in Germany and said: "I have been driving in Pakistan since 1988."

:-s

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:17 pm 

Quote:
A taxi driver lost his job after being caught speeding at 104mph and 98mph on Christmas Day.

Amazed that someone believed they could still be licensed having been convicted of the above. [-(

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:19 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:
He was helped by an Urdu interpreter in court and said that he had worked as a cabbie in the UK since 2012. Before that he did the job in Germany and said: "I have been driving in Pakistan since 1988."

:-s

Welcome to 2019.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:55 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:

clearly one we need rid of #-o

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !