Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:01 am 

'You have three seconds to open the door or I'll kill you...' - Penniless passenger locked in taxi makes this threat before hitting cabbie over head with phone

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... or-2851720

Rachel Colquhoun must pay £100 compensation to the cabbie

Mum Rachel Colquhoun struck a taxi driver over the head with a mobile phone - after he refused to drive any further without receiving his fare.

The cabbie had locked his doors and called the police after fearing the 27-year-old defendant and her friend did not have any money.

But he was then grabbed by the defendant's friend before Colquhoun struck him over the head with the phone.

And Colquhoun, of no fixed address, was further arrested when she made a racist remark about the taxi driver to the police.

Now she has been handed a suspended jail term - despite telling magistrates: "I would rather go to prison".

North Staffordshire Justice Centre heard the defendant had been collected from Chell Heath Road, Chell Heath, on the evening of February 26.

Prosecutor Lynne Warrington said: "The complainant is a taxi driver who was working when he was asked to collect a fare.

"They went to a number of different cash machines and when they said they wanted to go to Hanley he said he wanted to be paid first because of the request to go to different cash machines. He was concerned they didn't have the fare.

"He locked the door to stop them running away. The defendant said: 'you have three seconds to open the door or I will kill you'. He dialled 999.

"The defendant's friend threw her purse on to the seat and put her hands on his face and the defendant took his phone off him. The driver describes the defendant hitting him on the top of the head around three times, striking him with the bottom of the phone.

"He got out and waited for the police. The two women got out and started to move away, he tried to stop the defendant running off. The police attended at 7pm and the defendant was arrested."

Colquhoun, formerly of Salkeld Place, Chell, was convicted of a charge of assault by beating following a trial. She admitted using racially-aggravated language.

Simon Leech, mitigating, told magistrates that the defendant found a cash machine off Smallthorne roundabouts was not working.

He said: "They asked to go to another cash machine and rather than go to Hanley down Town Road he went down Moorland Road and stopped on Waterloo Road where there was a cash machine in a supermarket.

"The two ladies were alarmed by the diversion and my client found it quite distressing to find herself in this situation. They were asking to be let out because they didn't like the situation.

"The defendant felt very vulnerable. Everything you have heard is in the context of that unusual journey in the early evening and the driver parked in a location she was unfamiliar with.

"The other person was never prosecuted. The defendant is known to mental health services. She is quite a vulnerable individual."

Magistrates handed the defendant a 12-week prison term, suspended for 18 months. She must also pay an £80 fine, £620 costs, a £115 victim surcharge and £100 compensation to the taxi driver.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 am 

Looks like the defendant has been posting on the Sentinel's website asking for the 'lying' article to be removed, including this longer offering:

Quote:
why you saying poor man he locked me in a taxi and was asking me sexual questions about the people in the Kurdish shop and because I said no I don't want to talk to them he locked me in so I defended my self make sure you know what your talking about before you give out youre oppinions about something you don't know and waterloo road is know for prostitution and grooming I am a christion not a muslim and I will not be groomed by a muslim taxi driver who is a undercover cop and trying to stert gang crime and interagate me for no reason .. this person who has wrot this article is a lyer and does not know anything and has no rite to gossip or write things about me ..

Looks like the magistrates believed the driver's version of events =D>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Now she has been handed a suspended jail term - despite telling magistrates: "I would rather go to prison".

obviously unrepentant :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:21 pm 

edders23 wrote:

obviously unrepentant :sad:

Well if she wants to go to prison she only has to steal a bottle of wine in the next 18 months and her wish will be granted.