Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 pm 

Kind of assuming this was a PHV, but not entirely clear from the information available.

Taxi driver lent his cab to his landlady - who drove through a red light

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... dy-2893509

She had received a call from her sister and her car would not start

A taxi driver was handed a £285 bill after he lent his cab to his landlady who drove through a red traffic light.

City magistrates heard that Maria Smith-Browne only used it because her car would not start when she received an urgent call from her sister.

At 6am on October 14, the taxi was clocked going through the red light at the junction of Lower Parliament Street and Southwell Road, said Andrew Conboy, prosecuting. Kevin Mwangi, 30, was contacted as the owner of the taxi.

"He said he would not go through a red light as he was used to the road," Mr Conboy told the court. Smith-Browne, 47, was then identified as the driver.

She pleaded guilty to using a taxi when not licensed and was fined £140. She must pay costs of £115.

A £170 fine was ordered for Mwangi who must also pay £115 costs. He admitted permitting use of a taxi by an unlicensed driver.

He told the court that he had just finished work and had gone to bed. Smith-Browne went to his bedroom and asked to use the car.

"I was not aware of what was happening and pointed to where I had left the keys and continued sleeping. If I had been awake, I would have jump-started Maria's car," said Mwangi of Ladbrooke Crescent, where Smith-Browne also lives.

She told the court: "I received a phone call from my sister who was stranded in town on a night out with a couple of friends. She had lost her handbag and money."

She added that she must have gone through the red light while looking for her sister. Three penalty points were put on her driving licence for this offence.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:06 pm 

Quote:
"I was not aware of what was happening and pointed to where I had left the keys and continued sleeping. If I had been awake, I would have jump-started Maria's car," said Mwangi of Ladbrooke Crescent, where Smith-Browne also lives.

:-s

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 pm 

Be interested to know how many points the taxi driver had on his license.

:-k

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Is it me or does something seem a little odd about this story

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Is it me or does something seem a little odd about this story

Something not quite right, I thought you just passed on the details of the driver if it wasn’t the registered keeper who was driving. Do they check with the MIB if that persons has insurance now ?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:01 pm 

Hypothetically, let's say a taxi/PH driver has loads of points and asks someone else to take some more on their way, thus avoiding a totting ban.

Someone volunteers.

However that someone hasn't got a taxi/PH license, and the ticket people are aware that that taxi/PH vehicle needs to be driven by a taxi/PH driver.

This then leads to the driver and the volunteer looking at a prison sentence for perverting the course of justice, or the volunteer getting done for no taxi/PH license (£255), and the taxi/PH driver for permitting a non taxi/PH license holder to drive the taxi/PH (£285).

Who knows?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:50 pm 

Since it's all a bit obvious then presumably the police and prosecutors would have considered the possibility of perverting the course of justice, but not enough evidence for prosecution.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Since it's all a bit obvious then presumably the police and prosecutors would have considered the possibility of perverting the course of justice, but not enough evidence for prosecution.

If both keep to their stories impossible to prosecute, especially as they have pleaded guilty to the offences they were charged with.

In short not worth the CPS pursuing the matter.