Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 am 

Uber passenger slapped with £80 cleaning bill after ‘dropping Skittles in back of taxi’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9555527/u ... -skittles/

Image: The Sun/Lydia Williams/Twitter

A WOMAN is raging after claiming Uber slapped her with a £80 cleaning bill for dropping 20 Skittles in the back of a car.

Lydia Williams, 24, was left with a sour taste after her boyfriend accidentally spilled the sweets on the floor and they were hit with a hefty fine.

The cleaning charge works out at a whopping £4 per Skittle.

Lydia tweeted an email which she claims she received from the taxi giant as it billed her £80.

Uber said the mess was so bad it “required professional cleaning”, but Lydia is furious at the fine.

She tweeted: “Can’t believe I’ve had an £80 charge from@Uber for ‘the severity’ of some spilt Skittles.”

In another tweet she said she’d even bought the driver a meal deal and drink as he drove them home.

She added: “We dropped a few and if the driver had told us it was that much of an issue of course we would’ve picked them up.”

In response to her tweet, one person joked: “That’s about four pounds a Skittle.”

Another added: “That’s an expensive Hoover.”

A third said: “£80 to pick up less than 20 skittles. Wow! In that case, my Mrs owes me about 2 billion quid for all s*** she leaves about for me to pick up.”

'THE CHARGE IS RIDICULOUS'

But others criticised Lydia for not picking up the sweets when she left the Uber.

One blasted: “You think throwing food around a vehicle is polite? Why didn't you just pick them up?”

Another added: “The charge is ridiculous but why didn't you pick them up?”

Uber’s message said: “When a cleaning fee request is submitted by your partner-driver, we assess and charge the cleaning fee in accordance with the extent of the mess and the reasonable cost of cleaning.

“Due to the severity of the incident on the trip, a cleaning fee of £80 was applied.”

An attached photograph shows a handful of the colourful sweets scattered in the footwell of the car door.

An Uber spokesman said: “The Uber app is based on mutual respect for both riders and drivers.

"For licensed drivers who use the app, their vehicles are their place of work and any damage or mess can mean they are unable to continue working.

"When a driver claims a cleaning fee, they are required to provide us with the details of the trip and the incident as well as photographic evidence and a validated cleaning receipt."

Image: The Sun/Lydia Williams/Twitter

UBER RULES ON CLEANING FEES

"In order for riders to enjoy safe, comfortable rides, drivers work hard to maintain clean vehicles.

"Riders are responsible for damage to the interior or exterior of a vehicle caused by incidents such as vomiting or food spills.

"Cleaning fees are assessed and charged according to the extent of damage.

"Cleaning fees are based on nationwide industry averages for professional cleaning. These fees are paid in full to the vehicle's driver.

"In the event you are charged a cleaning fee, you will receive an updated trip receipt."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm 

Quote:
But others criticised Lydia for not picking up the sweets when she left the Uber.

Is the correct answer.

Uber's terms and conditions are quite clear, and she decided she didn't want to clear up her mess.

Thus the £80 bill.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:44 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Is the correct answer.

Uber's terms and conditions are quite clear, and she decided she didn't want to clear up her mess.

Thus the £80 bill.

Agree in principle, but £80 to clear up a few sweeties seems excessive.

And, generally speaking, unless it's a major mess there's not really much that the vast majority of drivers can do about such things.

But in an ideal world if the two had dropped the sweets and just thought it all a big laugh (as they often do) then I'd just tell them that if they see me on the rank in future then just walk on by.

Of course, it's not an ideal world, and you never know how some people might react, and if I've waited an hour plus on the rank and they're the last fare of the night to approach the rank, then I might swallow my principles and welcome their custom :oops:

But if you take some of these types to task some of them will respond something like, "huh, we won't be using you again".

To which I usually respond, "Can I have that in writing?" [-(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:27 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
the problem is that Ufail don't do it on a scale it's £O or £80 tough but what was she doing EATING the skittles in the Ufail

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:52 am 

I’d be asking to see the receipt of the ‘ professional clean’.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:03 am 

edders23 wrote:
the problem is that Ufail don't do it on a scale it's £O or £80 tough but what was she doing EATING the skittles in the Ufail

But Uber says:

Uber wrote:
"Cleaning fees are assessed and charged according to the extent of damage."

So if it's £80 for a few sweeties I wouldn't like to know what they're charging for a full on multi-puke :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 am 

x-ray wrote:
I’d be asking to see the receipt of the ‘ professional clean’.

Just thinking that - they say:

Uber wrote:
"Cleaning fees are based on nationwide industry averages for professional cleaning."

If you can charge £80 for cleaning up a few sweeties then I'm obviously in the wrong job - when do I start? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:58 am 

how much of the £80 goes to the driver and how much do they pocket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:04 am 

edders23 wrote:
how much of the £80 goes to the driver and how much do they pocket

The report says that the cleaning fee goes straight to the driver.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:18 pm 

Hands up....who old enough to still remember them being called "Glees" before they marketed them in the US and here as "Skittles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Hands up....who old enough to still remember them being called "Glees" before they marketed them in the US and here as "Skittles.

Can't remember that, and think I thought Skittles was an original product back in the day, but to be honest I've never actually had one.

Do remember the likes of Opal Fruits being rebranded as Starburst, and Marathon as Snickers, etc etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:29 pm 

and not forgetting Spangles :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 pm 

edders23 wrote:
and not forgetting Spangles :wink:

And Pacers..they were like Spearmint Opal fruits but white...must be a Mars thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:26 pm 

Quote:
Agree in principle, but £80 to clear up a few sweeties seems excessive.

Clearly it's a deterrent, and the more this story is shared the more a deterrent it becomes.