Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:52 pm 

Well this is quite funny. PHD is obviously miffed that the motorcycle polis have stopped the traffic to let the children's outing through, then one of the kids hits him with a tiny bit of water from a gun, then... :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/sheila.s.purvi ... 904058524/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I once got hit in the face by water fired from a water gun on a parade float (whilst driving at 30mph) and temporarily lost control very nearly hit a tree

It might sound like kids having fun but firing at other drivers can cause problems

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:50 am 

edders23 wrote:
I once got hit in the face by water fired from a water gun on a parade float (whilst driving at 30mph) and temporarily lost control very nearly hit a tree

It might sound like kids having fun but firing at other drivers can cause problems

He wasn't driving at the time though.

In fact he wasn't even in his vehicle :-s

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:42 am 

I think we’d have to question as to whether he is a “fit and proper” person to hold a badge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 pm 

Well this has 'went viral', and it's all over the place now, including this on the BBC's website about a 'review' of the use of water [-X :-s

Children's taxi outing to review water bombing during parade

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-48610857

Image: BBC

Organisers of Edinburgh's annual taxi outing for special needs children are to review procedures after one passerby, who was soaked in water from a taxi, protested by lying in the road.

Footage of the unidentified man disrupting the parade has gone viral.

During the charity event, occupants of the decorated taxis fire water pistols as they drive to the beach.

Organisers said they always took complaints on board and would look at stopping water balloons.

Police said they had spoken to a man about his conduct during the procession on the Royal Mile on Tuesday, but that no further action was taken.

Keith Bell, Edinburgh Taxi Outing committee secretary, told the BBC Scotland news website: "This is a tradition that has been going on since 1947 and the children get very excited about it.

"I will look at having no water balloons next year, that might be an option, and I will discuss it with the committee.

"But I would be very reluctant to impose a ban on water pistols on the kids."

Mr Bell said children with special needs were often treated very poorly.

"This is one day off from being judged and having snide comments from ignorant members of the public," he said.

"Children with special needs sometimes suffer discrimination for outbursts or meltdowns in public which they can't stop because they have a medical condition.

"This event brings them great joy and many people come out of schools, fire stations and nursing homes to soak us back along the route.

"It is a balance of negatives and positives but I think it's 95% positive for the children as it gives them a guilt-free day.

"I publicise the event with advertising and on Twitter and I stand on the lorry at the front telling people that they need to close their car windows if they don't want to get wet."

One black cab driver, who wants to remain anonymous, said: "I think it does go over the top sometimes. I don't approve of the water pistols and it's not the kids, it's the helpers.

"People see the parade coming with the lovely balloons and then they get a shock to be hit by water.

"You can enjoy yourself without doing that. I don't approve of the water."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:01 pm 

The world has gone f***ing mad.

F***ing mad I tell you. [-(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:27 pm 

x-ray wrote:
I think we’d have to question as to whether he is a “fit and proper” person to hold a badge.

Given his reaction you'd have to wonder what he'd do in a stressful trade situation.

To be fair to him, though, suspect the PH v HC thing was a big factor here, and I suspect he was a lot wetter than the video suggests - there didn't seem much water skooshed in the film, and it hit him in the back by the looks of it, while the video seems to show his t-shirt quite wet at the front. I'd imagine the worst of the water happened before the video starts, so it's slightly out of context.

But still OTT reaction, and in view of his dress a bit of water doesn't seem that a big deal, and certainly looks like he wasn't conforming to the council's dress code, which resulted in several drivers being sent home to change a couple of months ago.

Of course, he may have been off-duty, but recall that a PHV is always a PHV, at least according to some people :shock: [-(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:31 pm 

But what did he want out of his actions?

A towel? To see the kids punished? A few quid for the launderette?

I just don't get it. :-k

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:
But what did he want out of his actions?

A towel? To see the kids punished? A few quid for the launderette?

I just don't get it. :-k

Just trying to make a point, I suspect.

Which everyone does from time to time, but perhaps not quite in as over the top manner as the guy in the video :?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:32 pm 

Calls for Edinburgh taxi parade water pistol protester to be suspended

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4946606

TAXI Outing organisers have called for a private hire driver to be suspended for lying in front of the procession after being skooshed with a water pistol.

Video of the driver halting the annual colourful parade for special needs children in Canongate on Tuesday went viral online.

Now event secretary Keith Bell has written to city licensing chief Cathy Fullerton to take action.

“Despite all the fun about t-shirts and mugs, the incident involving the male who blocked the path of the Outing is a serious one,” wrote Mr Bell.

“Unlike the video of the police officer being hit with water that went viral a couple of years ago with a fantastically positive image of Edinburgh, this video of a City of Edinburgh Council licensed PHC driver getting wet and his reaction to it will give a devastatingly negative image of our wonderful city.”

In his letter, Mr Bell argues the driver is no longer a “fit and proper person” to hold a licence after breaching conditions.

Mr Bell claims the driver’s actions contravene a condition to “behave in a professional, considerate and orderly manner” while his attire also breached clothing guidelines.

“Given the council's amazing support of the Outing for the last 72 years - I'd be extremely surprised and disappointed if the council stood by and did nothing,” wrote Mr Bell.

A council spokeswoman said: “All complaints made about individual licences are investigated but it wouldn’t be appropriate to comment on an individual case.”