Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:00 pm 

I was not sure where to place this topic so I have placed it in here!!

I currently work as a private hire driver for a company and have often thought about starting my own office. Well now I think the time is right to go it alone.

I drive a VW Sharan which I will keep for airport runs and my own personal car, however, to go it alone and make more money while I build up my reputation I have been thinking about getting another vehicle. The vehicle I have in mind is the peugeot E7 hackney carriage as this would enable me to pick up fares when the town is busy and I dont have any phone work. I would like to know if anybody thinks this is a good idea and does anybody have any experience with the peugeot E7 hackney vehicles.

Also, I have seen the above vehicles second hand but they always seem to have about 150,000 miles on the clock for about £15,000. However, I have seen that you can purchase them for about £18,000 brand new with a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Any help with this matter is grealy appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:43 pm 

the 5 year waranty only covers the parts that cab direct converted,door handles,floors etc, the main peugeot waranty is usually 2 years or 60000 miles, that covers the main things engine,gearbox etc, nobody tells you this untill you buy the cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:28 pm 

ARC Taxis wrote:
However, I have seen that you can purchase them for about £18,000 brand new with a 5yr unlimited mileage warranty.

I haven't seen them that cheap, but I think the E7 is a fair enough motor.

My preference however is the VW range. http://www.bernardmansell.com/volkswagen.html

Post subject: Peugeot E7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:41 pm 

I have seen the peugeot E7 for about £18,000 online on a few websites and in the private hire magazine.

Having seen them around they look quite good and would like to know if it is best to buy new or second hand?

If you only have 60,000 mile warranty are they any good after that?

I have had a look at the link from the post above but £25,000 if going a bit steep, but I must admit I do like the look of them

Post subject: Re: Peugeot E7
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:42 pm 

ARC Taxis wrote:
I have seen the peugeot E7 for about £18,000 online on a few websites and in the private hire magazine.

I do think that Cab Direct like a deal, so it might be worth giving them a ring.

As for the car itself, I have mates who love them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:36 pm 

when they first appeared in dundee there was problems with wear on the floors ,but once they were replaced with the new floors that all new e7,s now have that ended, they have been in dundee for over two years now and i haven,t heard of any problems that are consistent with other e7,s, unlike the fiat doblos/freedoms ,which go through clutches,gearboxes,tyres, ive done 90000 and know three other cabbies with roughly 150000 each none of us has replaced a clutch,some had clutches at 125000 but these were double shifted, a few have been handed back in dundee but this is down to costs £125.00 a week in a city which has many £3000.00 saloons operating ,its more profitable at the moment to offer a saloon owner a fixed deal on his cab rather than run your own e7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:38 pm 

Seems to be a bit like the TXs really - drivers either love them or loathe them :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:52 pm 

Wait a mo cab direct strictly stat a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty in there adverts, and if this only lasts for the first 60,000 miles for the running gear, that means they could and should be taken to the courts and trading standards notified
How the hell are they getting away with it?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:09 pm 
loads of taxi E7s down here.
and even a few PH ones. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:58 pm 

cab direct get away with it because its in the small print, when i noticed it i phoned them and someone called tony assured me (ignore that you do have a five year waranty)here i am two years later unable to get any thing from peugot on warranty, i could show you my contract, or better still phone peugot they will put you right, one of the first owners of a eurobus came on this very website complainig that he hadn,t recieved a cheque promised from cab direct for a serious desil leak he had on his brand new cab, cab direct kept telling him its in the post, that was two years last month,i spoke to him yesterday,he is still waiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:14 pm 

here is the complainer here
http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtop ... 36&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 pm 

Yeah, that sounds right. I've got an E7 and everything's covered by Peugeot for 60,000 miles, plus you got unlimited mileage on top for the engine and gearbox. So what??? London Trouble International are only prepared to back the TX for 100,000 miles - what's that for a cabbie? Especially when you KNOW the TX flywheel's going to give out sooner or later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:19 am 

So the engine and gearbox IS covered for unlimited miles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:56 am 

seems to be a lot of confusion here, why does,t somebody do us all a favour and phone peugeot, tell them you are about to buy a cab from cab direct ask if the engine,clutch,etc is covered for five years ,then post the result, if the administers of this site want ill give you all my details and you can phone cab direct pretending to be me and ask about getting a gearbox replaced after i have had the cab for over two years, the words fxxk oxf sound about right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:09 pm 

The firm's website says this about the E7:

2 years Peugeot Unlimited Mileage Warranty, plus 3 years Extended Warranty supplied by AMG Warranties Ltd. Also includes 1 year Additional Warranty provided by AMG Warranties Ltd covering all specially adapted features (runs concurrently with manufacturers' warranty).

Assuming this was applicable when Mr dundeewav bought his motor, I suppose the crux of the matter is what exactly the 3 year extended warranty covers, particularly as such warranties are often less comprehensive than the original manufacturer's warranty.

And the bit about the one year for the 'adpated features' isn't clear either - is that a year from when the vehicle is bought, and thus there's only cover for a year?