Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: paye driver
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:28 pm 

Karga wrote:
grandad wrote:
I think h means that hackneys are running at private hire rates that may be higher than the meter.

Exactly this. The minibus rate used by the PH companies is higher than Meter + £3.00 for carrying 8 people. Most of the HC drivers treat themselves as PH when doing work through the PH company, they don't put the meter on. Some of the work starts or ends outside of the district but not all of it.

As an aside what is the situation where the PH operator subcontracts work to a HC? In theory the booking is with the PH operator and it is to them that the passenger owes the fare, the driver is collecting that money and settling their own affairs with the operator after the fact.

Basically it boils down to the vehicle that is used. if it is a hackney and the job is entirely within it's district, then the passenger can only be charged the fare on the meter, which must be used, or less but not a penny more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:41 pm 

Cannot believe how many time multi seater hackneys down here charge meter and a half for four people when those four people have a mound of luggage.

And it's not just those ignorant of the law, even those clued up abuse the situation. [-X

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:50 pm 

grandad wrote:
I think h means that hackneys are running at private hire rates that may be higher than the meter.

Wondered if Karga's point could have been about that other unsatisfactory situation where customers charged different rates depending on whether an HC or PH sent on pre-booked job, so it's pot luck form the punter's perspective.

Obviously he's clarified that now, but his original statement could have been construed either way 8-[

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:18 am 

StuartW wrote:
grandad wrote:

Wondered if Karga's point could have been about that other unsatisfactory situation where customers charged different rates depending on whether an HC or PH sent on pre-booked job, so it's pot luck form the punter's perspective.

Obviously he's clarified that now, but his original statement could have been construed either way 8-[

It gets even more confusing with account work. PH op quotes the job, takes payment and then subs the work out to a HC. At no point in this chain is the passenger being charged by the HC driver for the work. Is there any case law on this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:07 pm 

Karga wrote:
It gets even more confusing with account work. PH op quotes the job, takes payment and then subs the work out to a HC. At no point in this chain is the passenger being charged by the HC driver for the work. Is there any case law on this?

You mean with regard to the employment status issue or the fare regulation dimension for HCs?

Haven't read the judgements, but assuming that the cash or account dimension would have been addressed in the Uber and Addison Lee cases on employment status. Instinctively I would guess that if the driver isn't billing the customer directly (or collecting cash from them) then that counts against the driver being self-employed.

Of course, since Uber is account work only in that case it's straightforward, but maybe not so much when there's a mix of cash and account work, as I suspect is the case in practice for most PHDs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:54 am 

Same thing happens here (Chester) PH charge fare and a half if you book a 5+ seater. Licensing have told the HC’s they have to use the meter as well and charge the lower fare, NEVER happens in practice.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:24 am 

x-ray wrote:
Same thing happens here (Chester) PH charge fare and a half if you book a 5+ seater. Licensing have told the HC’s they have to use the meter as well and charge the lower fare, NEVER happens in practice.

It was Abbey's fare card I was thinking of :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:37 pm 

The job can be scunnering when your doing it for yourself, I'd never tolerate doing it as an employee.