UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 pm 

Not much of a story this, but at least headline a bit different :-o

Three teenagers arrested as police dogs sniff out suspects after taxi robbery

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... gs-3218938

The youngest taken into custody was 14

Three teenagers have been arrested after police dogs were called in to sniff out suspects after a taxi was robbed.

Officers were called to Tynwald Grange in Newcastle-under-Lyme at around 10.45pm yesterday (August 15), following reports a taxi driver had been robbed.

An area search was carried out with the assistance of the dog unit before the three arrests were made.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "A 17-year-old male, from Stoke-on-Trent, was taken into custody on suspicion of robbery.

"Two boys, aged 14 and 15, from Newcastle, were arrested on suspicion of robbery and possession of cannabis."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm 

And, yes, I know 'arrested' would have been a better word than 'arrests' in the thread title, but as is often the case I ran out of space, and thought that was the best amendment to make while still retaining as much information as possible.

Anyone who hasn't started a thread (or, unlike me, they keep the title brief) possibly won't be aware that there's a limit to the number of characters that can be used - it may *look* like there's plenty of room for more letters, but in fact there's not.

And while it may *look* like there are other thread titles that are longer than this one, this one is actually using all the available space (suspect the reason others look longer is because of the width of the letters used, or whatever :? )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:11 pm 

You could have said Teenagers arrested.

8-[

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 pm 

Sussex wrote:
You could have said Teenagers arrested.

8-[

=D>

Certainly could, but wanted to convey the fact that at 14 the youngest was, er, quite young.

Of course, could have just included the 14-year-old, but then it would have looked like only one involved and/or the rest of the title would have been grammatically incorrect [-X

Anyway, will amend to say 'teenagers', but on the plus side I can now include the word 'robbers', and 'arrested' instead of 'arrests'.

Of course, strictly speaking it should read 'alleged' robbers, but not enough space, even if 'teens' used instead of 'teenagers' :shock:

Decisions, decisions.

Of course, intention is to get as much useful/interesting/relevant information in the thread title as possible, so usually a case of compromise.

And no doubt all a bit pointless anyway in the grand scheme of things, but gives me something to think about on the rank =D>

Think I'm just a frustrated sub-editor, really (the person who dreams up the headlines in newspapers), and a stickler for accuracy.

I mean, that Clydebank article earlier talks about 'driving offences' in the headline. But in the main they're not driving offences at all - they're crimes of dishonesty, although they may involve driving.

And no need to point out the possible inaccuracy of the t-word, which of course is Heathcote's domain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:30 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
unfortunately these days 14 is not that young as many of that age already involved in all sorts just look at the ages of those arrested over the murder of the policeman

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !