Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:39 pm 

Taxi passenger racially abused driver and smashed up car in row over fare

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... r-16862483

The passenger also smashed a small rear window of the vehicle before running off

Image: Cheshire Police/Liverpool Echo

A passenger racially abused a taxi driver and smashed up his car in a row over the price of the fare.

Mark Stephen Davies, 32, from Porthleven Road, Runcorn pleaded guilty to racially aggravated assault and criminal damage.

Davies and a woman were picked up by a Hungarian taxi driver, at an address in West Bank, Widnes, on March 20.

However when the taxi pulled up at its destination - in Riding Lane, Runcorn - Davies got into an argument with the driver over the fare price.

Chester Crown Court, on August 23, heard how Davies objected to the price and paying the toll fee and an argument between him and the driver began.

He then racially abused and assaulted the driver before smashing one of the car's rear windows and wing mirrors before fleeing the scene.

In court Davies was jailed for nine months for racially aggravated assault and racially aggravated criminal damage.

DC Phil Brown of Cheshire Constabulary said: "The taxi driver was simply doing his job and should not have been racially abused or assaulted in the course of his work.

"I hope that Davies now realises that we will not put up with behaviour that insults or discriminates against people who should be welcomed in our community and that the police will take strong action against such behaviour."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 pm 

Quote:
In court Davies was jailed for nine months for racially aggravated assault and racially aggravated criminal damage.

No mention of his history, but that seems like quite a stiff sentence :shock:

Edit: Actually, maybe not such a surprise. Didn't notice the assault element at first - funny how these reports often highlight the racial *abuse*, rather than the actual *violence*. The latter much worse, in my opinion, but perhaps not a fashionable view these days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Chester Crown Court, on August 23, heard how Davies objected to the price and paying the toll fee and an argument between him and the driver began.

Who do you think should pay the toll fee, the f***ing fairies?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 pm 

Quote:

=D>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:41 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I’ve had a customer query me when I’ve given them a price to Liverpool (using the Mersey Tunnel) as to why they have to pay me for the return tunnel toll !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
x-ray wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I’ve had a customer query me when I’ve given them a price to Liverpool (using the Mersey Tunnel) as to why they have to pay me for the return tunnel toll !

not surprised at that punters expect cheap price and the driver to stand any costs involved in providing that cheap price. The trouble is there are plenty of drivers out there that wouldn't charge the return toll

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:40 pm 

Quote:
The trouble is there are plenty of drivers out there that wouldn't charge the return toll

What is the legal situation on return toll /ferrie fees after the customer has been droped off ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:52 pm 

youbeenbusy wrote:
Quote:
The trouble is there are plenty of drivers out there that wouldn't charge the return toll

What is the legal situation on return toll /ferrie fees after the customer has been droped off ?

As far as I’m concerned, any road tolls that are mandatory and I accrue, are payable by the hirer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:14 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
youbeenbusy wrote:
Quote:

depends on whether or not you are a Hackney and what your table of fares says

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:13 pm 

Quote:

If the toll is in your area then it should really be on the tariff.

If it's outside then you can add it as long as you tell the punter before you start the job.

The above are for hackneys, for PH the firm should include it in the estimate, or you can add it at the end provided you tell them before you go through the toll.

We have it with the Dartford Tunnel/Bridge and the London congestion charge, but we just add it to the fare.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:00 pm 

Maybe it's just because of the two toll bridges I used on a regular basis (the Tay Road Bridge daily and the Forth Road Bridge occasionally*), but I thought tolls tended to be one-way only these days?

Which would make the toll fee easier to 'sell' to the passenger if it's incurred while they're on board =D>

On the other hand, if the toll was incurred without the passenger on board then it would be a more difficult sell :?

*Although tolls have been abolished on both bridges for a few years now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm 

Quote:
*Although tolls have been abolished on both bridges for a few years now.

The only toll we have down here is the Dartford Bridge/Tunnel, and we have to pay both ways. Thus so do the punters whether or not they are actually in the motor.

The Congestion Charge is pretty straight forward, £11.50 a day whether you are in London for 5 yards, or 5 hours.