Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:31 pm 

Not a great deal to see here, but it's been a while since I've heard/read anything about taxi marshalls, and not a lot of other news around just now anyway.

New security contract for Ipswich town centre taxi marshals

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/stag ... -1-6290960

Image: Paul Nixon/Ipswich Star

Ipswich-based Stage Event Security is to take over night-time taxi marshal services in the town centre.

]The service, which began in 2013, operates between 11.30pm to 4.30am on Fridays and Saturdays in a bid to ensure late-night revellers get home safely.

The company's staff will operate the service at the Old Cattle Market every weekend of the year.

Tim Passmore, Suffolk's Police and Crime Commissioner said: "It is extremely important that Ipswich town centre is a safe and welcoming location where people can come to enjoy an evening out.

"I am happy to financially support this marshalling project for the fifth year.

"I can see tangible benefits for the Constabulary and for the people in Ipswich on weekend evenings.

"People get home quicker and more safely, and fewer people hanging around after the pubs and clubs close reduces potential disorder which in turn reduces the pressure on the constabulary. Everyone wins."

Mr Passmore added the service helps to encourage growth and increase job security by boosting the night-time economy - which he believes leads to cuts in crime rates.

Alasdair Ross, Ipswich Borough Council portfolio-holder for community protection, said: "We want to ensure residents and visitors to the town centre feel safer at the end of the evening.

"It is all part of our determination to support the night-time economy and we welcome the support of our partners."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 pm 

Quote:
The company's staff will operate the service at the Old Cattle Market..

Terribly sexist way to refer to the lovely young ladies out clubbing in Ipswich 8-[

Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner wrote:
"People get home quicker and more safely, and fewer people hanging around after the pubs and clubs close reduces potential disorder which in turn reduces the pressure on the constabulary. Everyone wins."

Not really sure how the marshalls help people get home quicker, or stop people hanging around :?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:27 am 

Quote:
Not really sure how the marshalls help people get home quicker, or stop people hanging around :?

I'm not sure about the theory, but in practice they do make ranks work more efficiently.

Maybe marshals give confidence for those using the ranks, drivers and punters, that some resemblance of order will be kept.

If I drove a hackney, and worked those hours, then I would much prefer to serve an orderly rank rather than the mess we all see at those times.