Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:23 pm 

Taxi driver accused of 'pouncing' on disabled passenger and sexually assaulting her

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... d-17276027

Manoj Kuttiyani from Penyffordd, who is standing trial in Mold, denies the charge

(Image: Andrew Price/View Finder Pictures/North Wales Live)

A taxi driver is accused of "pouncing" on a disabled passenger and sexually assaulting her.

Mold Crown Court heard Manoj Kuttiyani, 48, took the vulnerable woman home before he "forced himself" on her.

Kuttiyani, of Hawarden Road, Penyffordd, denies sexually assaulting the woman in her Flintshire home after picking her up at around 6.15pm from a pub in the county in February last year.

The victim had been to a karaoke night with her partner when the woman ordered a taxi and was picked up by Kuttiyani.

Her husband decided to get a bus home separately and buy a Chinese meal for the couple.

However the victim said after she got home Kuttiyani knocked on her door and when she opened it he began to sexually assault her.

Despite admitting he was married with children Kuttiyani said he wanted to have an affair with the victim and even wrote his number down for her, the court was told.

The victim said her ordeal for around 20 minutes and when it ended she called her son who told her to call the police.

When her partner arrived home she told him what had happened and he also told her to call the police.

A recording of the 999 call was played to the court. In it the victim told the operator how the taxi driver had brought her home then "forced himself" on her.

She said: "I am not very well. I am disabled. The front door was locked. When I opened the door he pounced on me, kissing me and touching my breasts. He's given me his mobile number even. He wants to have an affair with me. I don't know what to do.

"He was all over me, touching me. He was over my face with his mouth open. He grabbed me between my legs. He knew I was vulnerable."

The victim, who became distressed during parts of the recording, said she "didn't want a fuss" and had tried to talk to Kuttiyani about his wife and children but his mouth was around her mouth.

She said he pushed her up against the wall and the radiators when he was in her kitchen and kissed her.

She added: "His teeth were biting into my face. It was like he was hungry. I am just so much in shock.

"I didn't know what to do. I just kept him talking because I thought he was going to go further."

The trial continues on Wednesday, when the defence will open.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:40 pm 

Quote:
Her husband decided to get a bus home separately and buy a Chinese meal for the couple.

:-k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:26 pm 

Ooft. Not much stuff reported about the defence case, but wasn't expecting this :shock:

Taxi driver accused of 'pouncing' on disabled passenger is cleared of sexual assault

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... d-17288837

Manoj Kuttiyani was found not guilty by a jury of eight men and four women

A taxi driver accused of "pouncing" on a disabled passenger and sexually assaulting her in her own home has been cleared by a jury at Mold Crown Court.

Judge Niclas Parry told defendant Manoj Kuttiyani, 48, that he had been cleared by the jury and could be discharged.

"You leave this court with your good character intact," the judge told him.

The jury of eight men and four women took half an hour to come to their verdict.

Prosecuting barrister Matthew Dunford had alleged that the defendant took the vulnerable woman in her 60s to her home before he "forced himself" on her.

Kuttiyani, of Hawarden Road, Penyffordd near Mold, denied sexually assaulting her, said it did not happen, and said she kissed him and complimented him on being a nice man.

He said she wanted him to be her regular taxi driver and he had given her his mobile number.

In evidence, he denied any impropriety, and said he was "not a bad man".

He had been a taxi driver with the same firm for some three years, was married with three children, and said he had previously helped another disabled lady with her shopping.

That lady had given him a key to her home and treated him like a son, he said.

References were read to the jury about the defendant's work and the help he had given another disabled pensioner, who had since died.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 am 

It must have been a very weak prosecution case for the jury to take only 30 mins deliberation to clear him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:57 pm 

x-ray wrote:
It must have been a very weak prosecution case for the jury to take only 30 mins deliberation to clear him.

Indeed, half an hour not long at all for this kind of thing.

But this other report maybe suggests that it was the defence case 'wot won it', rather than a weak prosecution case. On the other hand, given the holes in her case it's maybe a wonder it was ever prosecuted in the first place.

Flintshire taxi driver cleared of sexually assaulting disabled passenger

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18051 ... passenger/

A FLINTSHIRE taxi driver has been cleared of sexually assaulting a disabled passenger after helping her into her home.

Manoj Kuttiyani, 48 of Hawarden Road, Penyfford denied “pouncing” on the woman after picking her up from a pub shortly after 6pm in February last year.

It took the jury of eight women and four men around thirty minutes to find the taxi driver not guilty of the charge.

Father of three Kuttiyani had earlier told Mold Crown Court how he recalled picking up the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, just before 6.15pm and that she had been “chatty” on the journey to her home, with the pair talking about his work as a taxi driver, his life in India and Indian food.

According to Kuttiyani, the woman, who the court was told relied on crutches for her mobility, asked if he would help her into the house – which the defendant said was not an unusual request if a passenger struggled with their mobility.

Kuttiyani went on to explain how he helped the woman up the path, which was treacherous due to the poor weather, and into the house through the back door. Once inside, he went on to say how he helped the woman further by boiling a kettle and filling a hot water bottle. After following the woman into the lounge area, he said she told him he was “a very nice man” and kissed him and because he had not wanted to offend her, bent down and reciprocated the kiss for a period of three seconds, after which he said he could taste alcohol on his tongue.

Despite the woman accusing Kuttiyani of pouncing on her, groping her, both on the left breast and between the legs and telling her he wanted to have an affair with her, she admitted that the statements she provided to police after the incident differed from the account she provided to the court.

When she had been asked to explain this, she said the police officers taking the statements had been “wrong”.

She also claimed never to have used the taxi firm before, but Kurrityani said how he had picked her up on one previous occasion, although she had been with another passenger at the time, and just a week after the incident, the court heard how she had used the same firm to take another journey.

Kuttiyani, who said he was “not a bad person” and only gave her another kiss because he was being “courteous”, clasped his hands together when Judge Niclas Parry was told he was free to leave the dock.

Judge Parry said: “You leave this court with your good character intact.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:00 pm 

Quote:
After following the woman into the lounge area, he said she told him he was “a very nice man” and kissed him and because he had not wanted to offend her, bent down and reciprocated the kiss for a period of three seconds, after which he said he could taste alcohol on his tongue

Three seconds? :shock:

Quite a long time for a peck on the cheek, or whatever. Doubt if that would have worked in his favour.

And could 'taste alcohol on his tongue'? :shock:

How did that come about, precisely?

Actually, don't think I want to know :-&

That certainly doesn't look good for him either, I suspect, but since her case was so full of holes it didn't seem to matter in the end.

But wonder if his badge is at stake?