Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:29 pm 

Taxi driver complains about traffic warden handing him fine as he helped elderly lady

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... en-3509447

The driver was about to help the woman down a flight of steps

Image: Gloucestershire Live/Nigel Cooke

A taxi driver says he was incensed when he was handed a parking fine whilst helping a senior citizen who 'finds it difficult to walk' to his vehicle, which was down a flight of steps.

And he says that when he tried to appeal to the traffic warden he claims the warden said "I don't give a toss".

Nigel Cooke, 51, who works for Freebs Taxis in Nailsworth, parked his taxi by a stairwell on Wheelwrights Corner just off Old Market, so he could help the female customer, in her 70s, down from the beauty clinic named Essentially You Beauty Clinic.

Mr Cooke said that at 11.38am on Wednesday morning, he parked as close to the flight of steps as possible to help the customer.

Wheelwright's Corner has a sign marked as a private road. Mr Cooke says he parked his vehicle "three quarters" on the private road and a quarter on the pavement that runs along the Old Market main road.

‘I don’t give a toss’

As he was waiting for the woman, who he says uses a cane, to walk down the flight of stairs, a traffic warden approached his vehicle and gave him a fine at 11.42am.

Mr Cooke said: "She can’t walk very well and she can grab the handrail to go on the steps.

"So basically I pulled up to pick her up. I parked there and ran up the stairs and waited three minutes for her to come out, I’ve opened the door and then the traffic warden’s just stood there and honestly, he couldn’t get the ticket on the screen quick enough.

"So I’ll hold my hands up say that I am obstructing a little bit but it didn’t stop people walking past from the pavement to the opposite side.

"I told him that I am picking a lady up and he told me ‘I don’t give a toss’ and I said 'Please don’t swear' and he goes ‘It’s not swearing’ and all that. It’s just his attitude really."

The penalty charge notice came to £70.

Mr Cooke went on to add that his customer was "embarrassed" and even offered to pay the fine.

'We will be fully investigating the matter,' say the council

A Gloucestershire County Council spokesperson said: “We’re sorry to hear this taxi driver was unhappy with his experience with a civil enforcement officer. We take these concerns very seriously and will be fully investigating the matter.

“The PCN can be challenged by following the instructions on the reverse of the ticket and if an appeal is submitted we will consider all points raised and respond appropriately.”

'I totally agree with having traffic wardens,' insists taxi driver

Mr Cooked, who is from Stroud, insisted: "I totally agree with having traffic wardens.

"I think in a little town like Nailsworth, it sort of needs it - just really for people who park stupidly, so I'm not totally against them.

"But I think he [the warden who gave me a ticket] could have been more compassionate really."

Image: Gloucestershire Live/Nigel Cooke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:30 pm 

Kind of gave the traffic warden in the benefit of the doubt in that one in Romsey the other day, but not so sure here.

Anyway, for what it's worth this is the view from the other side via Google:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.69404 ... 384!8i8192

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:15 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
Freebs Taxis

I can just imagine how many punters get in and say are you free then mate "no" it says on your roof sign you are :lol:

what a stupid name :roll:

Again like the Romsey one did the warden give him the statutory minutes to move before issuing the ticket

Quote:
The penalty charge notice came to £70.

grrrrr.............. this irritates me it is not £70 it is £35.00 the £70 bit is to panic you into paying up :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:07 am 

He can appeal the PCN and win the case. I had similar a few years back in Folkestone and won.