Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:23 pm 

I can't find the story in the press yet but a chap here has just been fined for acting as a taxi driver without a license. It has cost him £1130 I am told. This is the second time that he has been successfully prosecuted over a 15 or so year time span. So he is still quids in. He is also still doing it only days after the conviction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:35 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Some people never learn

It's a shame we can't have some sort of sentencing escalator where if you get caught a second or third time the penalty is doubled or tripled

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 am 

grandad wrote:
I can't find the story in the press yet but a chap here has just been fined for acting as a taxi driver without a license. It has cost him £1130 I am told. This is the second time that he has been successfully prosecuted over a 15 or so year time span. So he is still quids in. He is also still doing it only days after the conviction.

Did he get points on his DVLA license? As they will stop him in the end.

Need to get the council to do a press release, which will get picked up by the local press.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:56 am 

Quote:
It's a shame we can't have some sort of sentencing escalator where if you get caught a second or third time the penalty is doubled or tripled

In many instances that is the case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:21 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Need to get the council to do a press release, which will get picked up by the local press.

I wrote to the officers and the team leader yesterday to ask them to put out a press release but unfortunately, but not unusually, there were no people in the department.
I don't have the full details yet but as it was the Council who took him to court and not the police I doubt that he got any points.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:48 pm 

The council need to alert the police to watch for him. He is, effectively, driving without insurance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:27 am 

The only way to get the police involved is negative publicity against them such as an article in the Melton times about how peoples lives are being put at risk by illegal taxis

Now if there was some sort of Melton trade association that could release a press statement to the melton times :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:25 am 

edders23 wrote:

Now if there was some sort of Melton trade association that could release a press statement to the melton times :wink:

There used to be one that was run by a very good chap but that is no longer the case.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:19 pm 

grandad wrote:
Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

I wrote to the officers and the team leader yesterday to ask them to put out a press release but unfortunately, but not unusually, there were no people in the department.
I don't have the full details yet but as it was the Council who took him to court and not the police I doubt that he got any points.

Update,
I still haven't found the story but I have been told he got 6 points on his license for no insurance. He also didn't turn up at the court and has told someone he wont be paying the fine, he would rather go to prison for free bed and breakfast. he was out working last night and did 3 jobs that someone saw him do this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:29 am 

Quote:
He also didn't turn up at the court and has told someone he wont be paying the fine, he would rather go to prison for free bed and breakfast.

Little does he know of the powers of the court.

He might not pay the fine, but the court will just take his car. They and the tax folks are the only people allowed to clamp.

And if that fails he will indeed be sent to prison as a last result.

I suspect it's all talk and he will pay what the court has ordered.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
He also didn't turn up at the court and has told someone he wont be paying the fine, he would rather go to prison for free bed and breakfast.

Little does he know of the powers of the court.

He might not pay the fine, but the court will just take his car. They and the tax folks are the only people allowed to clamp.

And if that fails he will indeed be sent to prison as a last result.

I suspect it's all talk and he will pay what the court has ordered.

He has at least 3 cars and has a couple of people driving for him, all unlicensed. He used to be a licensed driver but lost his council license on medical grounds around 17 years ago but has carried on working since then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:01 pm 

sounds like a test purchase exercise is needed to catch all of them or for the police to go round and give them the warning that they will be targetted

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:49 pm 

edders23 wrote:
sounds like a test purchase exercise is needed to catch all of them or for the police to go round and give them the warning that they will be targetted

It took agers to carry out the last test purchase because he only gives his number out to "regular customers". When his number was given to someone who was on our side it was passed to the Council who managed to get a 3rd party to make a booking so as to catch him. I would think he will have changed his number again by now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm 

grandad wrote:
He has at least 3 cars and has a couple of people driving for him, all unlicensed. He used to be a licensed driver but lost his council license on medical grounds around 17 years ago but has carried on working since then.

Sussex Police has a 'report illegal driver/driving' section on their website, does your local police have a similar one.

I think if you get reported twice you can have a driving asbo or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Sussex Police has a 'report illegal driver/driving' section on their website, does your local police have a similar one.

I think if you get reported twice you can have a driving asbo or something like that.

A few years ago a small group of taxi drivers started to follow him around to try to collect evidence that he was working as a taxi driver. He called the police and they warned the drivers to stop harassing him.