Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5662
Fife taxi drivers warned after women left stranded for having bank cards but no cash

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... t-no-cash/

Taxi drivers across Fife have been told they have a duty to protect vulnerable people during the New Year festivities.

Licensing chiefs said there had been a number of cases recently where cabbies have left women on their own stranded because they had bank cards on them but no cash.

They have issued a plea to operators, telling them there is “no excuse for exposing anyone to the risk of harm” at a time when they are likely to have been drinking and may not be so capable of looking after themselves.

It comes as a woman claimed she was mugged when she decided to walk the half mile to her home after being told the taxi she had ordered would take another 40 minutes to arrive at Kirkcaldy High Street.

The woman, who did not want to be named, said: “At the end of my road I was mugged, pushed on to the road because I wouldn’t give him my bag or money.

“Police have been spoken to but there’s not much they can do.

“I was very drunk that night and should have known better than walk home on my home.”

A spokesperson for the licensing department told The Courier: “There is an expectation that licensed drivers in Fife will exercise a duty of care to all their customers.

“Unfortunately there have been recent examples of lone females being stranded by taxi drivers simply because they could only pay by card but not cash. While this may be inconvenient, it is no excuse for exposing anyone to the risk of harm.

“As with other occupations, taxi drivers dealing with vulnerable people are expected to show high standards of behaviour. We are all responsible for safeguarding: it is up to everyone to help.”

Dale Coull from Fife Private Hire said the firm’s fleets were equipped with machines to accept card payments and called on the council to do its bit for public safety.

“If Fife Council, after a certain time in the evening, let private hire firms into the taxi ranks, it would clear the streets quicker,” he said.

“It happens in Edinburgh and Glasgow, so there’s no reason they can’t do it in Kirkcaldy.”

Mark Richardson from GoPals taxis in Dunfermline said: “All our cars have got bank machines. I think it’s more and more going that way.

“You have to be courteous if somebody has had one too many and make sure they get in OK.”

Another Kirkcaldy taxi driver, who did not want to be named, said: “There is a discretion that the driver has to make between getting the person safely home and if that person may cause problems. There are instances where a situation has arisen because the person is under the influence.

“If a person can’t tell us exactly where they live, then there’s not a lot we can do.”

Police Scotland has issued safety advice for using taxis and private hire cars.

Tips for staying safe include booking taxis in advance, requesting a text from the taxi firm when the car arrives, ensuring you have enough money to pay for your journey and where possible sharing the taxi with a friend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5662
Quote:
It comes as a woman claimed she was mugged when she decided to walk the half mile to her home after being told the taxi she had ordered would take another 40 minutes to arrive at Kirkcaldy High Street.

Which has *what* to do with credit card payments? :roll:

Quote:
A spokesperson for the licensing department told The Courier: “There is an expectation that licensed drivers in Fife will exercise a duty of care to all their customers.

“Unfortunately there have been recent examples of lone females being stranded by taxi drivers simply because they could only pay by card but not cash. While this may be inconvenient, it is no excuse for exposing anyone to the risk of harm.

“As with other occupations, taxi drivers dealing with vulnerable people are expected to show high standards of behaviour. We are all responsible for safeguarding: it is up to everyone to help.”

As I said in the Licensing section, the driver may not have a card reader, but the council is making it sound like there's some sort of obligation to take certain passengers regardless.

Which, if that happened, would mean that all they would have to do is find a cab without a card reader and get a free lift home =D>

Quote:
Dale Coull from Fife Private Hire said the firm’s fleets were equipped with machines to accept card payments and called on the council to do its bit for public safety.

“If Fife Council, after a certain time in the evening, let private hire firms into the taxi ranks, it would clear the streets quicker,” he said.

:lol:

Quote:
“It happens in Edinburgh and Glasgow, so there’s no reason they can’t do it in Kirkcaldy.”

Er, maybe something to do with the law? :-s

Sometimes astonishing how clueless some people in the trade running firms with fleets of cars are about even the basic legalities [-(

And it certainly wouldn't work here in the East Fife zone, because even the HCs have difficulty getting on the ranks at the best of times, and it's even quieter at this time of year because all the students and tourists have left town :sad:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:47 pm
Posts: 13881
Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It's all very well but a big assumption here is that having a card = guaranteed payment well in my experience 1 in 15 card transactions fails with the customer having no alternate means of payment

I lose a lot of money this way and it's time to wake up and smell the coffee councillors have no right to demand that drivers take them home for free

_________________
Taxis Are Public Transport too

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:16 pm
Posts: 158
Location: glasgow
its quite simple,if you want access to TAXI ranks,go and become a TAXI,not a p/h,but,as stated earlier,what has this got to do with credit card payments
if a council want to make credit cards mandatory its within their powers to do so but still doesnt make it that anyone should take people without getting paid
i dont get it why councils always put the burden on us,were out here trying to earn a living,were not social workers here to provide free transportation
:? :? :? :?

_________________
i started out with nothing and ive still got most of it left


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45019
Location: 1066 Country
Quote:
if a council want to make credit cards mandatory its within their powers to do so

Indeed.

If the council are that concerned about card payments, then make that a licensing requirement.

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group