Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:08 pm 

Leeds taxi driver father-of-three stabbed in neck in Armley over £3 fare - urgent police appeal

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... al-1361773

A Leeds taxi driver was stabbed in the neck in Armley after a dispute with customers over a fare of just £3, his son said

Image: Yorkshire Evening Post

Jason Scherer, 47, had taken three people across Armley at around 5.30am this morning.

Once reaching the destination at Simpson Grove - a journey so short it only cost the minimum fare - one of the men said he had lost his wallet and couldn't pay the £3 fee.

Jason, a father-of-three, reached to call the Amber Cars office - a firm where he has worked for 19 years - to indicate the fare could not be paid by the customers before he felt what he believed was a punch to his neck.

After driving around 50 yards down the road to get away from the customers, Jason realised he had been stabbed in the neck and blood was pouring from a wound, his son Connor told the Yorkshire Evening Post.

Jason returned to the Amber Cars headquarters where an ambulance was called and he was rushed to Leeds General Infirmary.

He is now facing the prospect of surgery on the wound on the right hand side of his neck.

His family have been at his bedside all day in 'complete shock', Connor said.

West Yorkshire Police confirmed details of the incident and said no arrests have been made.

They have launched an urgent appeal for witnesses.

Anyone with information is asked to contact West Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting crime reference number 13200015564 of 10/01.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:14 pm 

Quote:
Once reaching the destination at Simpson Grove - a journey so short it only cost the minimum fare - one of the men said he had lost his wallet and couldn't pay the £3 fee.

I suspect robbery was on the scumbags agenda.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:34 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
they were trying it on : I suspect they booked the PH knowing they had no money and thought it would be a walk in the park

now once caught it'll be a walk in the prison yard :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:42 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I suspect robbery was on the scumbags agenda.

Indeed, attempted robbery is one of the charges. I've missed out the first part of this article, which is the usual rehash of the one above:

Teenager charged after Leeds taxi driver stabbed in neck over a £3 fare

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... re-1362256

A teenager has been charged after a Leeds taxi driver was stabbed in the neck over a £3 fare.

This morning [Saturday], West Yorkshire Police confirmed that a 17-year-old boy has been charged in connection with the attack.

He has been charged with Section 18 Assault, Attempt Robbery and Possession of an Offensive Weapon.

The teenager has been remanded to appear before Leeds magistrates today (Saturday).

Thankfully, Jason's son Connor has since shared an update to say that his dad will make a full recovery.

He has also set up a Go Fund Me page to help support his father, who will be unable to work as a self-employed taxi driver while he recovers from the attack.

Connor said: "Well, this week ended on a very tragic story for our family. I always thought my first interview with the press would be about some exciting property project.

"Unfortunately it was for a story following the brutal stabbing of my father in the neck while he was trying to complete his work as a taxi driver during the early hours of yesterday morning - it was all over a £3.00 fare.

"I want so many people for their kind messages, along with dozens of text messages from family, friends, colleagues and just everyone who reached out following the YEP news article.

"Thankfully, my dad will make a full recovery in time but until that time he won't earn any income as a self-employed taxi driver therefore I am raising money.

"I appreciate that not everyone is in a position to donate, but even a share would be a great gesture. For all those interested, the gofundme page also has links to where this has been covered in the media.

The property manager added: "My dad will be listening to Leeds United from his hospital bed today.. Bristol is his target for first game to watch LUFC at ER with me and my brother!"

A spokesman from Amber Cars said: "Following an appalling stabbing incident, our thoughts are with Jason Scherer & his family.

"We are in regular contact with his family offering as much support as we can. Amber Cars wish him a speedy recovery. We strongly echo the appeal from West Yorkshire Police for witnesses."

More than £350 has been raised to support Jason as he recovers from the attack.

If you would like to donate to Jason's Go Fund Me please visit the page here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:47 pm 

Quote:
If you would like to donate to Jason's Go Fund Me please visit the page here.

Fund raiser has now reached £862.

Reading all this, you'd think his son was in PR rather than property, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on how such skills are used :-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:15 pm 

Quote:
Thankfully, Jason's son Connor has since shared an update to say that his dad will make a full recovery.

That's very good to hear.

Be interesting to see what happens to the scroat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:11 pm 

'A serious danger to the public': Teenager bragged about stabbing Leeds taxi driver in the neck with a potato peeler over a £3 fare

A teenager who stabbed a taxi driver in the neck with a potato peeler over a £3 fare has been given an extended sentence after being judged a serious danger to the public.

A court heard the victim was millimetres away from suffering fatal injuries from the blow inflicted by Jordan Scholey.

Scholey, now 18, was aged 17 at the time of the attack on January 10 this year.

The teenager was among a group who called the taxi with the intention of robbing the driver of his vehicle and selling it for £2,000.

Robert Galley, prosecuting, said Scholey ordered the Amber Cars taxi at 5pm and was picked up by the driver in Armley.

The taxi then picked up two of his friends before the driver was directed to an area near to some shops where they planned to carry out the robbery.

The group decided not to rob the driver as the area was covered by CCTV cameras.

He told the passengers that he wanted £3 for the journey but one of them claimed to have lost his wallet.

Scholey carried out the attack as the driver rang through to the taxi firm base.

Mr Galley said the teenager punched the driver in the face.

The driver then saw Scholey take out a potato peeler and he stabbed the victim in the neck.

He feared he was going to die in the attack.

The driver reached over and tried to shut the rear door but Scholey ran at him and said he would kill him.

The victim drove off and managed to get to his taxi office where colleagues called police and an ambulance.

He was bleeding heavily from a two-inch deep wound to his neck.

The victim underwent an operation at Leeds General Infirmary.

Scholey was arrested after he was heard bragging about carrying out the attack on a bus shortly after the incident.

Mr Galley said: "The complainant says he was very scared and honestly felt he was going to die and panicked when he saw the amount of blood coming out of his neck."

In a victim statement to the court, the driver described how he was in pain and was off work for five months after the attack.

He has also suffered from nightmares and anxiety as a result of his ordeal. The driver said he had also suffered financially.

Scholey, of Simpson Grove, Armley, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent, attempted robbery and possession of an offensive weapon.

Richard Reed, mitigating, said Scholey had been diagnosed with ADHD and has a low mental age.

He said Scholey was living a "chaotic lifestyle" and abusing alcohol in the months before the incident.

Mr Reed added: "He clearly is someone who is willing to work and receive help."

"He has expressed genuine remorse and regret."

Judge Christopher Batty imposed an extended sentence of eight years and five months after telling Scholey he considered him to pose a serious danger to the public

Scholey must serve a custodial period of four years and five months, followed by a four-year licence period.

Judge Batty said: "Even if the plan was to take his motor, he wasn't given a chance to do anything.

"He was gratuitously stabbed by you in the most vulnerable part of his body that presented itself to you.

"Fortunately he suffered a two-inch deep stab wound but nothing more serious.

"If you had stabbed him slightly one way or another, the consequences could have been catastrophic, including death.

"It is clear to me that at this moment in time you represent a serious risk of causing harm to other people.

"This was an unnecessary and gratuitous use of a weapon upon this taxi driver."

After the case, Detective Inspector James Entwistle, of Leeds District CID, said: “This was a very nasty and totally unprovoked attack on the victim, and it could easily have had more serious life-threatening consequences for him.

“Scholey was quickly identified and arrested as a result of a comprehensive investigation supported by information from members of the public.

“This case illustrates very clearly the risks and harm caused by people carrying knives.

“We hope the significant sentence Scholey has received will provide some level of reassurance to the victim and his family, and also serve as a suitable deterrent message to others about the penalties that serious knife crimes such as this will attract.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:11 pm 

Quote:
Mr Reed added: "He clearly is someone who is willing to work and receive help."

And the moon is made out of cheese.