Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:15 am 

Glasgow taxi fares to increase again months after 10% hike introduced

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... n-16463184

Licensing chiefs have proposed the change following a review by Dr James Cooper, of Taxi Research Partners, who backed a 1.71 per cent hike

Taxi fares in Glasgow are set to rise again – just months after a 10 per cent increase was introduced .

Licensing chiefs have proposed the change following a review by Dr James Cooper, of Taxi Research Partners, who backed a 1.71 per cent hike.

It means the flag fall – or fixed start fee – would increase by 10p, from £3.30 to £3.40.

This would be the maximum fare for a journey not exceeding 932 yards or two minutes 59 seconds, down from the current distance and time of 939 yards and three minutes.

Passengers are currently charged 20p for every additional 167 yards or 34 seconds. Dr Cooper has recommended the time remains the same but the distance is dropped to 164 yards.

A 10.32 per cent rise came into effect on February 25 this year, with the initial fee jumping from £3 to £3.30.

“While this review was commenced shortly after the coming into effect of the previous increase to the taxi fare scales, it was necessary to do so in line with the committee’s commitment to undertaking annual reviews at the end of February each year,” a report to Glasgow City Council’s licensing chiefs revealed.

Glasgow Taxis and Unite the Union Glasgow Cab Section both suggested the flag fall should remain the same.

However, Dr Cooper said the increase was justified as costs have gone up. His report revealed, in the period of review between August 2018 and February 2019, there had been a rise in the maintenance costs for taxi vehicles, radio dues and driver earnings.

“This is a maximum fare. Companies can reduce and discount their tariff,” he added.

The expert has also recommended a bottom up review of the taxi tariff as “the fundamentals of taxi operation have changed rapidly over recent years and market changes have impacted on the costs and revenue experienced by taxis operating in the city”.

February’s increase came amid falling passenger numbers, with use of the city’s taxi ranks halving since 2006. It was implemented due to the rising cost of vehicle purchase and maintenance.

Dr Cooper’s report states: “It is concluded that the costs of production for taxi trips in Glasgow have increased in the period from 2018 to 2019.

“The change in operating costs experienced by the taxi industry has increased by 1.71 per cent.

“We would therefore recommend that an increase is applied to the tariff to reflect this change in costs.

“We do caution, however, that any increase be made being aware of the impacts of large changes on the wider use of taxis, and the potential for that increase to result in a loss of trade from the traditional taxi to other types of vehicle for hire.”

The licensing committee has instructed the Council’s Director of Governance and Solicitor to the Council, Carole Forrest, to give notice of the intention to bring in the increase.

She will report back to the committee any representations received in relation to the notice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:18 am 

Dr James Cooper wrote:
“We do caution, however, that any increase be made being aware of the impacts of large changes on the wider use of taxis, and the potential for that increase to result in a loss of trade from the traditional taxi to other types of vehicle for hire.”

So Dr Cooper has managed to calculate that 10p on the flag and a yardage reduction of three yards is appropriate, but also states that the rise *could* lose custom, but can't say by how much and can't say for certain whether it would :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 pm 

the sooner cooper is out of the picture the better,he makes an arse of it every tarriff review,but the city council slavishly follow his recommendations all the time

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 pm 

Only a stupid council run by stupid people would have a fare rise so soon after a previous one.

Talk about pi**ing punters off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Only a stupid council run by stupid people would have a fare rise so soon after a previous one.

Talk about pi**ing punters off.

On the other hand, will the punters even notice? 10p on the flag and three yards off the yardage of 167 :-s

Which, in turn, begs the question as regards the cost of changing the meters etc for such a paltry increase.

But, as Jozef is maybe alluding, it's maybe more about ticking the right boxes and keeping Dr Cooper in work than what's right for drivers and passengers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:56 pm 

Quote:
On the other hand, will the punters even notice? 10p on the flag and three yards off the yardage of 167 :-s

They wouldn't have noticed but for the press, but now they know all they will be talking about is greedy cabbies.

The biggest problem when any of us want an increase is, IMO, not the trade, not the general public, nor councillors or licensing officials, but the press.

They are the ones that do the damage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm 

Another Glasgow fare rise.

Is over a year since the last one, but doesn't really seem like the right time :?

Glasgow taxi fares to rise again by 3 per cent

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/189 ... -per-cent/

GLASGOW commuters could see their taxi fares increase for the second time in just over a year as proposals were approved by the council’s licensing department.

A report was presented to committee yesterday morning (Wednesday) to increase the existing fare scale by 3.08 percent after a rise of 1.71 percent came into effect in October last year.

Members agreed to the recommendation by Dr Cooper and have voted to take steps to increase the taxi tariff.

A spokesman for Glasgow Taxis said: “We support the review as it stands.

“It comes at the tail end of a global pandemic and the impact of what that has brought over the course of this year.

“This review is based on figures prior to any pandemic knowledge and I think it is the right thing to do, set at the right level and we would support it.

“I think this is a reasonable increase. The travelling public have not been penalised and probably in reality hardly notice it.

“There is no perfect model or solution. You can’t just add on any given percentage. I think it hits exactly where it has to be at the moment.”

Steven Grant of Unite the Union also expressed his support for the proposal.

He said: “There’s no perfect solution to this but it is good as we will probably get. We would also like the soiling charge to be considered which is currently set at £23.50. That does compensate a driver for cleaning costs, but it does not take into account lost hours.

“That can be quite costly in terms of lost earnings. We would like the implementation of the new tariff to be delayed given the extraordinary circumstances we find ourselves in at the minute.

“We would also like economic activity to return to the trade as it would be punitive at the moment to increase the tariff in terms of public perception.”

Following the presentation members retired to consider the proposal. The proposals will now be advertised with the local media and follow the correct process before being implemented.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm 

Quote:
A spokesman for Glasgow Taxis said: “We support the review as it stands."

Wasn't it Glasgow Taxis who were wanting to discount fares by 15% during the first lockdown?

Quote:
Steven Grant of Unite the Union also expressed his support for the proposal.[...]

“We would also like economic activity to return to the trade as it would be punitive at the moment to increase the tariff in terms of public perception.”

So does he want the rise or not? :-s

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:59 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:
A spokesman for Glasgow Taxis said: “We support the review as it stands."

Wasn't it Glasgow Taxis who were wanting to discount fares by 15% during the first lockdown?

Quote:
Steven Grant of Unite the Union also expressed his support for the proposal.[...]

So does he want the rise or not? :-s

glasgow taxis solution to EVERY problem is to cut fares,almost all our work is heavily discounted credit work,and every single penny in discount is straight out of MY pocket,not the ersewipes sat comfy and salaried
i should be noted that gcc got their erses severely kicked from the traffic commmisioner for past misdemeanours regarding reviews and rises so they now conform to the requirements laid down re the tarriff
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:34 pm 

Some people need to realise that 3% on f*** all, is f*** all.

Absolute nut cases up there. ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:08 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Some people need to realise that 3% on f*** all, is f*** all.

Absolute nut cases up there. ](*,)

NO ONE wants the rise,did you even read my previous post
gcc have to comply with the tarriff reviews,specifically WHEN they have to be conducted,censured severley from the traffic commisionner for previous mishandling of reviews and rises
dr cooper{the bawbag} does his usual giving with one hand and taking away with the other and gives his findings to gcc,who always follow his findings

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:44 pm 

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

im talking about actual taxi drivers working the ranks,not a fat arsed salaried buffon sitting in the office getting his 18 bucks an hour after hes had his pick of the big juicy jobs in the morning

ill make an exception for stevie g as he has actually did a lot to get betterment for taxi drivers,but i think hes being politically correct and following the party line

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:04 pm 

jozefbloggz wrote:
Sussex wrote:
Quote:

im talking about actual taxi drivers working the ranks,not a fat arsed salaried buffon sitting in the office getting his 18 bucks an hour after hes had his pick of the big juicy jobs in the morning

ill make an exception for stevie g as he has actually did a lot to get betterment for taxi drivers,but i think hes being politically correct and following the party line

hers part of his post on the tarriff review

Finally, and given the extraordinary circumstances we find ourselves in, Unite asked that the tariff be delayed until some semblance of economic activity returns. Two reasons for this, (1) the cost to operators (~£50) and the time to recoup it through any new tariff currently, and (2) negative publicity for the trade at a time when it can least afford it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:53 pm 

Quote:
im talking about actual taxi drivers working the ranks

My understanding is that Glasgow Taxis is a cooperative, if so then it's drivers who are voting for those in favour.

I'm also guessing that those behind the Unite cab section are drivers who are voting for those in favour.

So I'm not arguing that many drivers are against the increase, but unless those drivers get off their arses and do something, then they get what they deserve.