Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:58 pm 

Fife Council wrote:
Due to the unforeseen circumstances that we have found ourselves in, our medical practitioners are now moving to telephone consultations only so we will not be sending any of our applicants/licenceholders for a medical until further notice. We will be contacting individual applicants who already have appointments to advise that they have been cancelled.

Fife Council wrote:
Please be advised that all annual tests for taxis and private hire vehicles have been cancelled until further notice. If you’ve already received appointments for your tests, do not attend the appointments. We will be in contact with you, later in the year, with any new arrangements we put in place. The garages will make every effort to accommodate any requests for substitution of vehicles but it is likely that they will only be carried out in an emergency situation. In the meantime, we would ask you to continue to maintain your vehicles, to the high standards you’ve always done & use the Council’s service sheets to assist you in continuing with your maintenance regimes.

Worth noting that the vehicle testing isn't done on a rolling basis, so all vehicle are inspected during March and April, except substitutions.

It says substitutions will only be carried out on an emergency basis, so presumably that would apply if a vehicle reaches the eight year limit or maybe a car written-off rather than anyone who just fancies a newer motor.

Anyway, none of this is relevant to me in the meantime, because I had my inspection on Tuesday, and badge isn't renewed until the summer.

But I'm surprised Fife Council an early mover on this. Not aware of any other council doing this. Although doubt if it's the sort of thing that would be reported in the press, but presumably if any regulars here knew of any councils doing similar then they would have posted.

(Of course, X-ray has said his own council will treat reapplications as renewals rather than as fresh application for six months, and there's the stuff about the school contract retainers, while Fife Council's move here seems a bit more dramatic.)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:15 pm 

Maybe if they didn't have all the tests undertaken in the same period they wouldn't need to do this.

Always seemed a right daft thing to do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm 

I see that the DVSA has suspended truck and trailer MoTs for three months, and any vehicles that were due are automatically exempt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 am 

Sussex wrote:
Maybe if they didn't have all the tests undertaken in the same period they wouldn't need to do this.

Always seemed a right daft thing to do.

Indeed, and if they provided any kind of rationale when they changed the system maybe twenty years ago, then I'm not sure I understood it then #-o

But not really sure if the block testing system has any relevance to whether or not it should be affected by the coronavirus thing. As I said, truck MoT tests have been suspended, and Dundee have now stopped testing taxis as well, and I think they do them on a rolling basis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:41 pm 

All MOTs suspended after 30th March so our Council have extended plates for 6 months.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm 

grandad wrote:
All MOTs suspended after 30th March so our Council have extended plates for 6 months.

Well it would be great if Fife Council extended plates for six months rather than just not processing renewals in the meantime, because as I said my badge and plate fall due in August and September, so could well see me having to stump up then while those due in the next few months effectively get an extension.

So would be great if all councils just extended licences for six months, which is how I think the MoT extension will work. (I've posted a BBC article on the MoT extension in a new thread.)