Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:34 pm 

Headline maybe not all it seems - only a limited number of cars will have the screen fitted, and it's basically a plastic sheet with a hole in it :-s

Don't know how effective that would be, but I'm not a healthcare professional #-o

But there's a wee video on the Echo's website demonstrating the screen, and Alpha's PR spiel.

Liverpool taxis install coronavirus screen to protect passengers from drivers

The firm has also lowered its pricing for customers and reduced driver rents

Image: Liverpool Echo/Alpha Taxis

A Liverpool taxi firm has fitted protective coronavirus screens to some of its vehicles as fears over the outbreak grow.

Alpha Taxi has announced a number of new measures to deal with COVID 19 including lower prices and reduced driver rents.

Customers will be able to request these additionally secure vehicles prior to their journey.

This comes as the total number of confirmed reported deaths in the UK rose to 177.

As a further gesture of goodwill, Alpha Taxi's pricing has been lowered to off peak rates and driver rents have been reduced to less than half the price.

A spokesperson for Alpha Taxi said: "Our response to the outbreak of COVID 19 has been swift and in the spirit of cooperation.

"We have announced a series of measures to make life that little bit less painful for all customers and drivers during these uncertain times.

"Perhaps of particular interest as it is provides a physical barrier to the virus is we have fitted protective screens to a selection of our vehicles as an extra layer of security.

"We can have these additionally secure vehicles made available upon request for any customers that may require them. We would also be able to take payments via cash, card or via an account if necessary.

They continued: "For our drivers we have issued a series of measures including health and safety advice via our social media pages and additional newsletters.

"Furthermore, we are reducing our driver rents to less than half price as long as they follow the guidelines in keeping their cars clean with sanitising wipes.

"In this way we can reduce transmission risk but not at any cost to the driver.

"This will have a considerable economic toll on ourselves but as a local company in the local community we know that we are in a position whereby we can help others and we are happy to step up and do our part.

"As an additional gesture of good will we have currently lowered all of our pricing to off peak for the foreseeable future, we want to provide a service without capitalising on others difficulties.

"Our whole strategy is keep those who need transport moving and keep drivers in work, not to capitalise on the situation.

"To this effect we have actually announced a freeze on taking on any additional drivers for the foreseeable future so as not to increase competition during what will likely be a difficult time.

"We would also like to add that we hope other parties relevant to the industry will follow our lead such as insurance and fuel companies.

"This uncharted territory poses new risks but we genuinely believe if each of us acts in the spirit of cooperation it will make a difficult situation that little bit easier."

Image: Liverpool Echo/James Maloney

Interesting comment on the website - maybe could ask relevant question about the health aspects of the screen rather than this :roll:

Quote:
Has this been approved by the Ministry of Transport? (MOT). Pretty sure there are strict rules around making internal and external adaptations to a vehicle. Something like this could invalidated a drivers insurance...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:39 pm 

Alpha's PR department wrote:
"Furthermore, we are reducing our driver rents to less than half price as long as they follow the guidelines in keeping their cars clean with sanitising wipes."[…]

"As an additional gesture of good will we have currently lowered all of our pricing to off peak for the foreseeable future, we want to provide a service without capitalising on others difficulties.

"Our whole strategy is keep those who need transport moving and keep drivers in work, not to capitalise on the situation.

"To this effect we have actually announced a freeze on taking on any additional drivers for the foreseeable future so as not to increase competition during what will likely be a difficult time.

Bit too much of the PR spiel about this, as per usual. I mean, they probably have to reduce settles to keep the drivers.

And reduce fares to encourage people to phone them? I mean, looks like the night tariff isn't being charged - when very little demand because night time economy shut down.

As for a freeze on new drivers :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm 

A partition in a taxi? Now there’s an idea!

I wonder why nobody thought of it before?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:13 pm 

jimbo wrote:
A partition in a taxi? Now there’s an idea!

Indeed, and I noticed someone in the comments saying it was a possible safety hazard if in an accident the back doors couldn't be opened :-s

In fact, comment possibly left by a black cab driver :oops:

But are these saloon car screens still a thing anywhere? They were a big lump of solid plastic, weren't they, although this really just a plastic sheet.

Don't know if there's any licensing implications to these things, although doubt if there would be much official interest in the current circumstances (and Alpha might have had them OKd by Liverpool licensing anyway).

Maybe the medical effectiveness with regard to Covid-19 is the big question, rather than the MoT, insurance or licensing implications

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm 

I think this just shows how desperate the trade is to keep viable, and safe and well.

Biggest problem we all have is we have no options available really, easy or hard.

Which is why we are seeing panic measures that normally we would rip the pi** out off.

But doing something is better than doing nothing, however sadly I think they both have the same outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 am 

Our ops are now "considering" reducing their weekly settle. I don't think I'm getting enough work off the set to even cover it. I think some firms really need to have a few weeks of free or close to free radio rental.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:56 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Karga wrote:
Our ops are now "considering" reducing their weekly settle. I don't think I'm getting enough work off the set to even cover it. I think some firms really need to have a few weeks of free or close to free radio rental.

My drivers are not being asked for any money :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !