Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm 

Never like these articles which say that a driver *made* £x, or whatever, which makes it sound like that's actually the profit for the shift. And that's presumably how members of the public (ie the target readership here) will perceive such numbers, not to mention others like politicians and councillors.

But at least this piece makes it reasonably clear that he has to pay for fuel and rent etc out of the £60.

Taxi driver makes just £60 on 19-hour shift to help NHS workers during coronavirus pandemic

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... f-17984957

Mike Bell is still continuing to work to help key workers get into work

A taxi driver said he mad just £60 after working a 19-hour shift during the coronavirus pandemic.

Mike Bell, 42, from Cardiff, said: “After that long shift, it would’ve been better for me to stay at home but I’m not thinking about myself.

“When you add up the costs of diesel, rent for the taxi it just isn’t worth it.

“I’m not thinking about myself though, I’m thinking of the nurses and the NHS workers that we have to transport to the hospital.

“If I was thinking about myself only then I’d just stay home but we provide a vital service so I’ve got no choice but to carry on.”

Mike, who has been a taxi driver in Cardiff for eight years, said some drivers have taken extra precautionary measures to protect themselves and their passengers, by disinfecting their vehicles.

He said: “I’m taking all the necessary steps as obviously we don’t know who is getting in our vehicles. My car is disinfected constantly.

“I have a regular clientele base who are nurses and work at Llandough Hospital and other care homes in Penarth.

“I don’t want to stop because then they’ll suffer and it’s a knock on effect. I’m not sure what to do next.”

Ian Roberts, 47, from Cardiff, has decided to give up his taxi license.

Working for a private firm in Cardiff, Ian said the lockdown, announced by the government on Monday, had left him with no choice.

“I decided to give up on my licence because I’m not sure when things will get better.

“Last week, when the closure of pubs was announced was when I got hit really bad.

“I pay around £300 a week for my license and other costs so if you add it up, it just doesn’t make sense.

“I finally decided to just give it up as now that the lockdown has been imposed, we won’t have any customers at all.”

Ian wants the government need to provide clarity on what grants self-employed workers will receive.

“I went to the job centre but they weren’t aware of the benefits I was able to apply for.

“The government just needs to provide clarity as I have a family to provide for.”

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has said he is raising the payments for Universal Credit so that the self-employed receive the same amount as someone on statutory sick pay, or £94.25 a week.

One taxi driver, who didn’t want to be named, said: “Last Saturday I only made £10 in a whole night. Usually, I would’ve made over £100.

“My wife works but now we’re worried as we don’t know when things will get better.

“If things carry on, I’ll need to find a new job as we still have bills to pay and other things.”

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:44 pm 

Quote:
One taxi driver, who didn’t want to be named, said: “Last Saturday I only made £10 in a whole night. Usually, I would’ve made over £100.

Sounds a bit more like my scenario. If I could even make £4 per hour after fuel then I could get by for a few weeks, but it's been looking more like £4 per shift :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 pm 

The government, for good reasons, are telling folks not to go out unless it's for food or medical reasons.

Shouldn't really be a shock for anyone that our trade is on it's knees.

I went out this morning and ticked over, but came home early as in my mind four hours is taking enough of a chance (I know it makes no sense either way).

But I earnt ok. All old dears from the shops to and thro.

No working tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I think within days we will be banned from working anyway I have booked two vehicles in for MOT on Monday as I fear it could be the last chance. One testing station has already taken the decision to close already the other is trying to manage on reduced staff

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !