Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:58 pm 

Effectively confirms what I said yesterday - there was never anything specific to suggest that drivers were banned from working.

CONFIRMED: Taxi drivers can continue working during latest COVID-19 isolation measures

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/confi ... n-measures

By Perry Richardson

The Department for Transport (DfT) has confirmed taxi and private hire drivers CAN continue working during the COVID-19 government isolation measures.

This follows the news that taxi licensing authorities were yesterday seeking ‘urgent clarification’ from the Government to confirm whether cabbies were classified as key workers or not.

Paul Elliott, DfT Policy Adviser, Buses & Taxis Division, told local councils: “Taxis and private hire vehicles can continue to work. But the advice is absolutely clear - people should stay at home if possible. That is the way to save lives and protect our NHS. The public should avoid travel unless absolutely essential. The only reasons to leave our houses are set out in the government guidance.

“Clearly if absolutely necessary to travel by taxi or private hire vehicle, best efforts should be used to follow the guidance as far as is practically possible, including washing your hands as soon as you get home.

“Taxi and private hire drivers should not generally be considered Critical Workers. Those undertaking Home to School transport or the transport of ‘extremely vulnerable’ people may be considered Critical Workers on a case-by-case basis.

“Critical Workers should also whenever possible make suitable arrangements for their children to stay at home; requests for children to attend school should be discussed with the school.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:06 pm 

This came through from the DfT.

Please see the following for information on the current situation regarding the continued working of taxis and private hire vehicles:

Taxis and private hire vehicles can continue to work. But the advice is absolutely clear - people should stay at home if possible. That is the way to save lives and protect our NHS. The public should avoid travel unless absolutely essential. The only reasons to leave our houses are set out in the government guidance.

Clearly if absolutely necessary to travel by taxi or private hire vehicle, best efforts should be used to follow the guidance as far as is practically possible, including washing your hands as soon as you get home.

Critical Worker Status

Taxi and private hire drivers should not generally be considered Critical Workers. Those undertaking Home to School transport or the transport of ‘extremely vulnerable’ people may be considered Critical Workers on a case-by-case basis. Critical Workers should also whenever possible make suitable arrangements for their children to stay at home; requests for children to attend school should be discussed with the school.”

Clearly we as a trade are not 'Critical Workers' in the sense that our children can go to school, but IMO we are 'Essential Workers' in that we get vulnerable people to shops and hospitals.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:29 pm 

My lad is at school when the other half is at work. So two days a week currently.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:31 pm 

I’ve heard that the companies that are still operating around here have a 1 customer per taxi policy, unfortunately the firm I was working for decided to shut up shop for the initial 3 weeks, so I am going to go back driving trucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:41 pm 

Quote:
so I am going to go back driving trucks.

I think, at this time, you will be helping society doing that rather than working in our trade. =D>