Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 11:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:01 am 

Coronavirus: Uber and Addison Lee to install protective screens

Taxi firms Addison Lee and Uber have announced new safety measures as the government looks to ease coronavirus restrictions and people return to work.

Addison Lee will fit perspex partition screens between drivers and passengers across its 4,000 vehicles next week. And Uber is paying the AA to install partitions in 400 cars in Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham as part of an initial pilot.

Both firms are also distributing free protective equipment to drivers.

The plans follow calls for improved protections for drivers and passengers.

"We know there is significant demand from drivers, passengers, businesses and the general public for more to be done to make transport cleaner and safer as we go back to work - including calls for the introduction of partition screens into private hire vehicles," said Liam Griffin, chief executive of London-based taxi firm Addison Lee.

"That's why we have taken the decision to begin rolling out the installation of safety screens between drivers and passenger seats."

Ride hailing taxi app firm Uber said its pilot in the North East of England was crucial for the company to get a better understanding of how to carry passengers on journeys as safely as possible.

Uber is first trialling the partition screens in areas where it has been able to gain the permission of the regulator or city council, in order to ensure that the screens are installed safely.

On Wednesday, Transport for London (TfL) updated its guidance for taxi and private hire vehicle firms. The regulator is advising firms to have drivers and passengers socially distance, with passengers sitting in the back seats of cars. It advised drivers to carry a bottle of hand sanitiser gel in their vehicle that contains at least 60% alcohol.

United Private Hire Drivers union wants it to be mandatory for both drivers and passengers to wear masks during journeys
However, when it comes to the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) like face masks, gloves or partition walls, TfL said it is waiting to hear from the London Strategic Coordination Group (SCG) on recommendations before mandating additional coronavirus prevention and control measures for taxis and private hire vehicles.

The BBC understands that multiple taxi firms in the UK are seeking clarification from the government on health and safety precautions to take once the lockdown, and would prefer regulation rather than advice.

In Wales, taxi drivers told the BBC they experience anxiety with every passenger they pick up, and are still waiting for approval from their local councils before they can make any modifications to their vehicles, such as installing a screen.

"Two months into a public health emergency which has seen private hire drivers suffer one of the highest occupational mortality rates, yet TfL and the Department for Transport (DfT) are still not taking responsibility to introduce necessary safety controls," James Farrar, chair of the United Private Hire Drivers trade body, told the BBC.

"Poor regulatory standards and employment misclassification has become a lethal combination for desperately exploited drivers."

Taxi drivers have lost a lot of their income during the coronavirus income, as cities like Cardiff stand mostly deserted
The trade body is similarly concerned that Uber is not providing partition screens to its drivers in other parts of the UK, such as London, which has the largest concentration of Uber drivers in the country.

Mr Farrar wants to see Uber commit to limiting bookings to no more than two passengers per vehicle, and to make the wearing of masks mandatory for both drivers and passengers.

For now, there is no evidence available that demonstrates that partitions in taxis will reduce the risk of transmitting the coronavirus.

But there is some evidence that the use of cloth face coverings can help to reduce transmission of coronavirus infection where it is not possible for people to maintain a distance of 2m.

Many firms have already started distributing PPE to their drivers after hearing concerns from both drivers and passengers.

Uber has so far handed out over a million single-use face masks to drivers, as well as 95,000 cleaning sprays. And in the coming weeks, it will hand out another two million masks.

Unilever is teaming up with Uber to distribute free hygiene kits that include antibacterial spray and hand sanitiser to drivers across the UK.

"As well as working with Unilever to provide drivers with free sanitising products, Uber is distributing millions of masks and directly reimbursing drivers if they choose to source the PPE themselves," an Uber spokesman told the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:08 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35758

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:00 pm 

Quote:
Addison Lee will fit perspex partition screens between drivers and passengers across its 4,000 vehicles next week.

Well if Glasgow City Council etc are worried about safety and airbags deploying etc, there's certainly a world of difference between the plastic sheets some are fitting, and a Perspex partition??

Quote:
[TfL] advised drivers to carry a bottle of hand sanitiser gel in their vehicle that contains at least 60% alcohol.

So can you actually buy that kind of stuff in the likes of Tesco and Asda yet? Haven't looked too hard, but shelves still seem bare.

Still got a small bottle (that ironically a passenger gave me pre-lockdown when I told her I couldn't find any), but that won't last long if it's soon back to non-stop action on the ranks :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:37 pm 

I don’t agree with the fitting of these screens in saloon cars, they’ll never be sturdy enough, but if they do UK wide get permission then that still leaves the issue of fabric seating etc.

With a black cab it’s all or can be fully plastic and leather seating which is much easier to clean. Hopefully the punters will see the hidden dangers of using saloon cars over purpose built taxis (real).

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm 

Quote:
So can you actually buy that kind of stuff in the likes of Tesco and Asda yet? Haven't looked too hard, but shelves still seem bare.

Most pharmacies have it behind the counter.

Got a bottle from Superdrug that will last a month.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
managed to buy a second family sized one from superdrug today and wipes and nitrile gloves but they were nearly £3 for a pack of 10

so Superdrug definitely carrying a lot of supplies but Not facemasks

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:01 pm 

If UBER are involved , the company fitting these screens should get their money up front

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:24 am 

Supermarkets I've been in over last couple of days have all had some kind of hand sanitiser on normal display.

Home Bargains had some displayed quite prominently near the door. Small 100ml bottles, but just £1.69. No limit on numbers either, as far as I could see.

Looks exactly the same as this Dainty & Heaps stuff selling for £3.99, except the Home Bargains stuff is marked 80% alcohol rather than 70%.

https://www.oakvillecarecentre.co.uk/co ... itise.html

Asda had similar sized bottles, but almost a pound more, so not such a good buy.

Tesco also had a similar product, but think it was about £2.25. Tesco also had a larger 500ml bottle marked 'Antibacterial Hand Gel', and 70% Ethanol. Priced at £6, so that's £1.20 per 100ml, and it's got one of those push down dispensers on top. The smaller 100ml bottles you have to hold in one hand and squirt it on to your other hand.

M&S is selling this stuff below for £10, and I'm assuming this is a similar product to Tesco's £6 stuff. They're certainly both £500ml, and both have push down dispensers.

https://www.marksandspencer.com/antibac ... lsrc=aw.ds

(Just saw the M&S stuff online, so not sure if it's in their stores.)

So for the smaller 100ml bottles, the stuff in Home Bargains seems the best buy. Haven't tried it yet, and it does look a bit more watery than I was expecting, but 80% alcohol looks quite high, which I'm assuming is a good thing.

The Tesco £6 stuff certainly the cheapest pound for pound, and also useful if you need to sit it on a table or whatever and use a push down dispenser. One thing, though, I was in two different stores, and one said three items maximum, while nothing in the other to indicate any limit. Also, the one I bought had the push down dispenser, while there didn't seem to be a dispenser on the bottles in the other shop, although I'm pretty sure it was otherwise exactly the same stuff. Maybe it was a refill, or whatever, but would seem odd just to miss out a bit of plastic on top for the dispenser on a bottle of exactly the same size and price :?

For what it's worth, I was also in B&M, and they had *eight* different brands and sizes, so easily the best in terms of choice, but their stuff did seem a tad on the dear side.

Anyway, although I'm not entirely sure, am assuming all these products are broadly similar and do what's required for our purposes.

And all that's not to say that your local stores will have the same stock and prices, and of course there are other choices, but if you do want to buy stuff off the shelf then there does seem to be more available now, and at more reasonable prices :)

(Apart from Home Bargains, which had their stuff quite prominently displayed near the door, the others had their stuff close to the usual bathroom handwash like Carex.)

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:32 am 

The UBER screens should be to protect the passengers from the driver :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:40 pm 

Noticed this in Guardian this morning after I'd written the stuff earlier. It's accusing M&S of selling 500ml of hand sanitiser for £11.50, and in fact it had earlier been on sale for £15 :shock:

M&S accused of profiteering, they're saying the £15 was an error, but still selling it for £11.50 [-X

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oronavirus

But that seems the same size and similar product to the Tesco stuff I bought yesterday for £6 =;

Anyway, the Guardian article says that Boots selling a 500ml product for £4.15 =D>

Also so on the Boots website a 100ml product for just £1.55 :-o

So Boots apparently cheaper than any of the stuff I saw yesterday. Which is surprising, because I generally avoid Boots because I always assume they'll be a bit dearer for everything.

But their website says it's out of stock, so not sure if there's any instore, or whether it's on display instore or behind the counter.

So like everything else it's a question of shopping around and local availability.

But by the looks of it you should get 100ml bottles for £2.50 max, or the 500ml with push down dispenser for £6-8 :-|

But definitely avoid M&S by the looks of it [-(

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm 

Quote:
but 80% alcohol looks quite high, which I'm assuming is a good thing

Your assumption is correct.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm 

Private Reggie wrote:
I don’t agree with the fitting of these screens in saloon cars, they’ll never be sturdy enough, but if they do UK wide get permission then that still leaves the issue of fabric seating etc.

With a black cab it’s all or can be fully plastic and leather seating which is much easier to clean. Hopefully the punters will see the hidden dangers of using saloon cars over purpose built taxis (real).

I reckon your more about wanting all the work for Black cabs than seeing Saloons hacks or PH having any of it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:51 am 

Was in Tesco earlier :roll: and they've got own-brand 200ml bottles of sanitiser for £1.50. It's greenish in colour and marked aloe vera :-o

Which is amazing value compared to any of the stuff I saw earlier this week - the cheapest of the 100ml bottles I saw then was more expensive than the Tesco stuff, which is twice the size =D>

They also had dinky wee 50ml bottles of the same stuff for 75p, which works out twice as expensive as the bigger bottle. But still good value considering that it still works out cheaper than any of the stuff I saw earlier this week.

The stuff is marked 62% ethanol (which I think is the same as alcohol). So on the low side, but still more than the minimum concentration required, as far as I know.

Funny thing, though, I was in two separate stores, and one had the 50ml bottles, one had the 200ml bottles, but neither had both, and they were both Tesco Extras.

So obviously still problems with stock, and there seems to be other new lines as well.

But I suspect the pricing, product lines and stock control will settle down over the next few weeks.

But at least now it looks like hand sanitiser is just another thing to stick in your trolley or basket when you're buying bread and milk.

But now I've got nearly £18 worth of it, and no real use for it at present :-s

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm 

Quote:

No hoarding it are you? 8-[

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

No hoarding it are you? 8-[

Not really, it's just that it's something I've never bought before, and it's a new product on the shelves, effectively, and I need a supply of it for, er, professional purposes.

So when I saw some on Monday it was a must buy, and I bought one of the bigger ones with the push-pump dispenser on top, and four of the pocket-sized ones.

Then when I saw the even cheaper stuff in Tesco earlier thought I really needed a couple of each size as well, you know, because it's got aloe vera and all that, and seemed a real bargain :oops:

Plus, I live miles from any shops, and have only been going shopping every five/six days or so, so buying a bit more of everything than I normally would - when I lived in Dundee I barely went a day without going in one of the Tesco stores, sometimes twice a day, and just buying a very small number of items.

And, after Beast from the East and being trapped in here for a couple of days, and all the shortages in the shops for a week or two, I started keeping more stuff in reserve.

And, although I've got the car, obviously, normally there's no bus service after about 6pm, and the service has been suspended completely because of Covid-19. So good to keep stuff in reserve in case the car breaks down, and it would presumably be weeks before Tesco would deliver anything to me (I'm seeing Tesco delivery vans here when I'm out for my walks, despite it being so quiet on the 'main' road that you could easily go ten minutes without seeing any traffic at all, so I'm guessing Asda and Morrisons don't deliver down here - I'm down towards the East Neuk of Fife, for anyone who knows the area.)

Another big thing is that I bulk buy stuff that's on offer all the time, because it would really annoy me to buy stuff for full price when you know it'll be half price in a month or two.

Which is why at lockdown I had about £50 worth of Reddex injection cleaner, maybe £30 worth of chocolate biscuits, and £90 of 'extra strong' cheddar cheese in my fridge, etc etc :shock:

The latter in particular being an obvious misjudgement and overshoot, because when I took it all out of my fridge during a 'stocktake', some of it turned out to be six weeks out of date :-o

But it's been fine, and I'm working my way through it all, and despite a bit of mould on one lump last night (it's fine if you just cut it off, apparently) I'm now on the stuff dated best before 6 May, so I'm getting there.

Shame about my cholesterol level, though, and it's a good job injector cleaner doesn't have a best by date... :oops:

And, coming back to the sanitiser, luckily it isn't dated either, although I've been reading that you shouldn't leave it in a hot car, because it loses its protective qualities.

Bet you wished you hadn't asked now :roll: