Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
...Only joking, but I'm not entirely convinced by that screen. Or at least the photo isn't particularly convincing :-s


Dragon Taxis introduces additional safety measures to protect against Covid-19

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/ ... -covid-19/

Image
Image: South Wales Argus

DRAGON Taxis, South Wales’ biggest taxi and private hire vehicle operator, has introduced new additional measures as the prevention of Covid-19 becomes a way of everyday life and residents seek a safe and convenient alternative to public transport.

The operator has made face coverings available to all driver partners as well as trialling in-vehicle protective screens to help separate them from passengers.

To minimise passengers handling cash, contactless payment options are available on all bookings made via the Dragon Taxis mobile app and through its new SMS payment solution AirPay.

Drivers and their vehicles will also have access to specialist regional vehicle cleaning stations.

Passengers are advised to avoid contact and sit in the back seat while travelling, to wear their own face coverings and wash their hands before and after travelling.

Ryan Owen, managing director of Dragon Taxis, said: “We have built a reputation for providing an easy and reliable service for passengers and Driver Partners and we want to ensure this continues, while we also introduce additional safety measures.

“Safety has always been a priority throughout the business and all journeys will continue to be carried out safely but conveniently. We want to alleviate any concerns passengers or Driver Partners may have about sourcing face coverings.

“Our recently-launched You Click, We Collect service is also carried out safely and efficiently and came about because of customer requirements to avoid lengthy supermarkets queues. This can sometimes compromise social distancing, but our You Click, We Collect delivery service also ensures those who have been self-isolating have all that they need delivered to their doorstep by Dragon Taxis Driver Partners.

“We will continue to keep our towns and cities moving safely 24/7. Key workers know to turn to Dragon Taxis for a hassle-free, reliable journey to work.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
More than a hint of the corporate spiel/PR that larger firms in particular often use, especially if you read it closely.

Quote:
The operator has made face coverings available to all driver partners as well as trialling in-vehicle protective screens to help separate them from passengers.

Face coverings 'made available' to drivers, not that they're guaranteed to get them, nor that they're compulsory.

Quote:
To minimise passengers handling cash, contactless payment options are available on all bookings made via the Dragon Taxis mobile app and through its new SMS payment solution AirPay.

I'm guessing that this is unrelated to Covid-19, and that in reality payment options haven't been affected. Although I don't doubt that more passengers will want to use contactless.

Quote:
Drivers and their vehicles will also have access to specialist regional vehicle cleaning stations

Again, drivers will simply 'have access', so not compulsory, and who knows about actual availability if drivers need it.

Quote:
Passengers are advised to avoid contact and sit in the back seat while travelling, to wear their own face coverings and wash their hands before and after travelling.

Again, this is merely advice, so presumably passengers can just take it or leave it.

The rest of the article (a classic example of 'churnalism') is just the usual kind of stuff with a Covid-19 slant.

Not that I'm cynical or anything :-s

Oh, and as per many of these bigger firms nowadays, the term Driver Partners is used several times. Wonder where they copied that from? [-(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:44 pm
Posts: 10512
Location: Scotland
Cling film screens are as much use as an ashtray on a bike


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:30 pm
Posts: 45395
Location: 1066 Country
Hope that's not the starting fare on his data unit.

:shock:

_________________
IDFIMH


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
Well this underlines what I was saying about corporate spiel and 'churnalism'. Virtually the same article, but it's in the Swindon Advertiser rather than the South Wales Argus. And it's about a firm called V Cars, rather than Dragon Taxis. Photo used in this article is identical to the one used in the earlier piece.

So presumably V Cars and Dragon part of the same corporate group. Some of the words and phrases are identical (about the "new SMS payment solution AirPay" and "drivers and their vehicles will also have access to specialist regional vehicle cleaning stations", for example).

Some other passages are worded slightly differently, and I've included a couple of examples below. It's not difficult to spot the similarities :roll:

And, of course, don't forget the 'driver partners' :-o


Taxi firm V Cars takes precautions to protect drivers and passengers

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new ... assengers/

Image
Image: Swindon Advertiser

TAXI firm V Cars introduced new measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus and improve the safety of its passengers and drivers.

The operator has made face coverings available to all of its drivers as well as trialling in-vehicle protective screens to help safely separate drivers and passengers.

To minimise the possibility of passengers handling cash, contactless payment options are available on all bookings made via the V Cars mobile app and through its new SMS payment solution AirPay.

Drivers and their vehicles have access to specialist regional vehicle cleaning stations set up in a bid to demonstrate the company’s continued commitment to moving passengers safely around their communities.

Passengers are advised, in line with the government's safety guidance, to avoid contact and sit in the back seat while travelling, to wear their own face covering and to wash their hands before and after travelling.

Regional director Aaron Singh said: “V Cars has always been an agile and evolving business and we are expert at adapting to changing circumstances.

"This is a brave new world and we are very keen to continue our service with as little impact as possible on passengers and drivers, while introducing what safety measures we can.

"Covid-19 means we must all find new ways to go about everyday life safely but conveniently.

“We try and support our communities wherever we can and make things as convenient as possible for them.

“We deliver essential supplies for many, including groceries and life-sustaining medical equipment to those in need. These are also left at a designated safe zone to minimise contact.”

"All deliveries are always left at the door, in keeping with social distancing measures.

“We are wholly committed to keeping our towns and cities moving safely 24/7. Key workers use V Cars as their first choice, knowing that their safety is also paramount to us and the driver-partners.”

V Cars is the south west region’s largest taxi company, with more than 1,100 driver partners operating in Bath, Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
Dragon Taxis wrote:
“We have built a reputation for providing an easy and reliable service for passengers and Driver Partners and we want to ensure this continues, while we also introduce additional safety measures.

"Safety has always been a priority throughout the business and all journeys will continue to be carried out safely but conveniently."


V Cars wrote:
"This is a brave new world and we are very keen to continue our service with as little impact as possible on passengers and drivers, while introducing what safety measures we can.

"Covid-19 means we must all find new ways to go about everyday life safely but conveniently."



Dragon Taxis wrote:
“We will continue to keep our towns and cities moving safely 24/7. Key workers know to turn to Dragon Taxis for a hassle-free, reliable journey to work.”


V Cars wrote:
“We are wholly committed to keeping our towns and cities moving safely 24/7. Key workers use V Cars as their first choice, knowing that their safety is also paramount to us and the driver-partners.”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:56 pm
Posts: 1924
Received letter from HMRC informing me if I have any partners they must be included on my tax returns.

These 2 operators claiming they have all these driver-partners must surely have too include their names on their tax returns.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 6:33 am
Posts: 5914
heathcote wrote:
Received letter from HMRC informing me if I have any partners they must be included on my tax returns.

These 2 operators claiming they have all these driver-partners must surely have too include their names on their tax returns.

Interesting.

But I suspect HMRC talking about actual partners in a normal business relationship, and set up as a partnership and with a proper partnership agreement for tax purposes. Three people who are the proprietors of a despatch office, for example.

When Uber and other operators talk about driver-partners, it's a bit misleading because they're really talking about drivers who are self-employed, and are therefore sole-traders for tax purposes. Of course, the big debate is whether they're actually employees rather than sole-traders. But certainly not partners in the technical sense.

Not sure precisely why Uber started using the driver-partner terminology, but the word partner is used in its informal sense, and not in the taxation sense.

When I first saw the term, I thought Uber using it to kind of distance the drivers from the firm, thus implying that the drivers were self-employed (thus sole traders) rather than employees.

So 'partners' in the informal sense, not the technical meaning of the word as regards tax and business structures.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group