Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:53 am 

First article here is a couple of weeks old. Second is quite recent. But nothing particularly new about start-ups getting a mention in the local press, which obviously helps spreads the word.

Of course, the new angle here is the Covid-19 thing. Again, nothing new now about in the past couple of months, but this brings the two things (Covid-19 marketing and start-ups) together.

New Barrow taxi firm launches in 'strange and difficult times' for trade

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18456846 ... mes-trade/

A TAXI driver has started his own firm.

Barrow driver George Harkin has launched Furness Taxis, transporting passengers on essential journeys.

Mr Harkin said he wanted to help out during the coronavirus after a number of taxi firms stopped operating shortly after lockdown measures were first introduced.

He has been driving taxis in Barrow for seven years and said now the trade was entering 'strange and difficult times'.

He said he had taken to delivering food during the coronavirus crisis.

Mr Harkin said: "I fell in love with the taxi game straight away and I have decided to set up Furness taxis to offer essential journeys to people who need to get to work and back home again and to offer any essential shopping trips to customers while being a responsible service in these difficult times.

"Also I'm Trying to get other taxi drivers involved to help them to get a bit of work then see the business grow as we come out the other side of this period in time.

"I believe we have a gap in the market for a new taxi service in Barrow and the local area, we are in strange and difficult times, and the taxi work dried up.

"I had a plan to get past the peak I went into isolation a week before the Government closed the country down because of this virus but still had the feeling I needed to help people, so I was able to start helping at Morrisons delivering food to people.

He said he had already recruited a number of licensed drivers and was looking for more.

Mr Harkin said the firm is open to help key workers get to and from work and help shoppers with essential trips to the supermarket.

A maximum of two passengers will be allowed per taxi and they must sit in the back seat.

All taxi vehicles are sanitized at the end of each journey to maintain a safe clean environment for our customers, Mr Harkin said.

As the virus began to spread, Mr Harkin said he and other drivers wanted to 'help save lives' by volunteering. Furness Taxis can be contacted on 01229 445555.

Group of Barrow taxi drivers launch new firm after coronavirus 'nightmare'

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18487366 ... nightmare/

Image: NW Mail

A GROUP of taxi drivers left without employment in the coronavirus ‘nightmare’ have joined together to form a new firm.

Coastal Cars is made up of 10 drivers who previously worked for A1 Taxis in Barrow.

The new company was set up by 47-year-old Brian White, who has around 20 years of experience driving taxis.

Mr White said around 50 other drivers had been made unemployed by taxi firms closing their doors during the coronavirus crisis.

He hoped Coastal Cars could employ them all them all if possible.

A1 Taxis, based in Rawlinson Street, has temporarily closed.

Mr White said he hoped to pick up passengers from A1 which he described as ‘the biggest and the best’ taxi firm.

“We’ve got 10 lads together who have all chipped in a bit of money with A1 being shut," he said.

“We’ve got a selection of the best drivers and we’re providing a fabulous service.

“I just want all the lads to pay the bills. There is no big boss taking a lump out of the profits.”

Taxi drivers have been among the groups of self-employed workers who have faced hardship during the coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s been a nightmare for us all,” said Mr White.

“You are left wondering if things are going to open.

“Us guys still need to work.”

The other drivers are Ian Woodend, Colin White, Wayne Baxendale, Simon Whiteside, Bret Higham, Harry Meighan, Wayne Baxendale, Barrie Hetherington and Stephen Armstrong.

The firm can be contacted on 01229 445 445.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:54 am 

Quote:
“I just want all the lads to pay the bills. There is no big boss taking a lump out of the profits.”

Well let's hope it works out for them, because something tells me they won't be welcomed back if it doesn't :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:23 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Isn't barrow where they have had the HIGHEST incidence of Coronavirus outside London ?

I think they are taking a bit of a risk but customers might appreciate them being prepared to take those risks and stick with them

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 am 

Yet another start-up in Barrow :?

And recall there was the stuff a few months ago about the misleading phone numbers, and the older stuff about the Ubaro app:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35797&p=401092

So not sure if things are particularly messy in Barrow, or if it's fallout from Covid, or maybe local press just more inclined to cover these things.

Anyway, pretty bog standard 'advertorial' for this kind of thing - trying to make them sound a bit different from the others, but in reality doesn't look like anything particularly groundbreaking here :?

"We are more than just a taxi company": New family-run firm launches in Barrow

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/18876552 ... es-barrow/

Image: NW Evening Mail

A NEW family-run taxi service is ready to take Barrow by storm.

24/7 Barrow Taxi Service is made up of a group of five family members who decided to set up and operate a taxi company which they said would be run in a unique way.

The firm's main aim is to work in partnership with other local businesses to grow both companies and share personal connections.

Kayleigh Whiteside, one of the company's directors, said: "We have big plans to grow our customer base and increase our awareness and relationships within the town."

The family have all been part of the taxi trade for a number of years, whether it be operating from within the office or out on the road driving. Their driving experience ranges from eight years to over 20 years each.

The advanced booking and dispatch system allows the firm to manage a larger fleet of vehicles and enables the operator to quote fares over the phone at the touch of a button.

Bookings can be made in advance using the app '24 7 Barrow Taxis' where you can book your journey and track your car all the way to your doorstep.

Over the phone bookings can also be made on 01229 474747.

Once a booking is confirmed the customer will receive a text message with a link that they can click showing them the exact location of their taxi.

Contract bookings are welcomed by the company who are also working with railways and breakdown companies to provide transport to anywhere in the country - and being able to offer eight seater vehicles means there is plenty of leg room and space for luggage.

Kayleigh added: "With us all being local we are eager to give back to the town who have shown us nothing but amazing support and given amazing feedback from the moment we set out."

A loyalty programme offering discounts to all NHS staff, care workers and emergency service personnel is currently available.

She said: "We are more than just a taxi company.

"We care and we pride ourselves on helping local businesses and charities alike."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:50 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I suppose if they aren't earning where they are they can try and have a go themselves but time will tell if there really is "untapped" demand out there

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !