Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:39 am 

New standards to improve safety for taxi and private hire vehicle passengers

Published 21 July 2020

From:Department for Transport and The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP

government introduces robust new statutory standards for the taxi and private hire vehicle sector across England and Wales to protect passengers

new recommendations include enhanced DBS criminal record checks for drivers every 6 months

latest step taken by the government to reduce the risk of harm to passengers and help improve consistency across local authorities

Passengers travelling in taxis and private hire vehicles (PHVs), including app-based services, will be kept safer under tough new licensing standards introduced by the government, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps announced today (21 July 2020).

The new Statutory Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Standards which local authorities will be expected to implement are designed to improve consistency in the licensing system, reducing the risk of harm posed to children and vulnerable passengers in the process. It follows historic and serious cases of taxi and PHV drivers abusing their position of trust.

Criminal record checks for drivers every 6 months form a key part of the standards, as does safeguarding training to help drivers identify and respond to passengers that may be being abused or exploited. A recommendation for licensing authorities to consider whether the use of CCTV would be beneficial or proportionate in their areas is also included, which sets out that potential privacy issues must be taken into account.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said:

We know the majority of drivers provide an important and safe service for communities, but in light of appalling incidents in places like Rochdale, Oxford, Newcastle and Rotherham, more must be done to protect passengers from those who abuse their position of trust.

That’s why we’re looking to licensing authorities to enforce these rigorous new standards, ensuring drivers are fit to transport passengers in a safe environment and to stop those who aren’t.

We expect all licensing authorities to implement the standards and won’t hesitate to introduce legislation if they don’t fulfil their responsibilities to keep the public safe.

Following extensive consultation across government as well as with industry and regulators, the strengthened measures will mean all drivers applying for a licence should now be required to disclose if they hold or have previously held a licence in another area. Local authorities will also now have to have robust reporting systems in place to make sure passengers feel comfortable reporting incidents and or suspicious behaviour. This follows the Casey Report which found there was inadequate investigation of some complaints in Rotherham.

Licensing authorities will be expected to fully implement these measures as soon as possible. The department will closely monitor progress, work with authorities not meeting their responsibilities and look to introduce legislation if licensing authorities fail to adopt the standards and update their operations.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... passengers

link to pdf: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -standards

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 am 

It doesn't seem to address licenses issued by one authority for the car and driver to be working in another authority area.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm 

grandad wrote:
It doesn't seem to address licenses issued by one authority for the car and driver to be working in another authority area.

Like all government statutory guidance it muddies the waters when it clearly could have righted that wrong.
It does state that the provider of the private hire vehicle must abide by the 3 licence,obviously if they are not abiding by the rule they are falling foul of licencing laws and conditions of licence thus committing an offence which licencing officers must act upon.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
new recommendations include enhanced DBS criminal record checks for drivers every 6 months

and how much is that going to cost us all ?

also how many drivers would be caught out ?.............I would think very few !

surely tightening up the rules which currently allow little or no liaison between police and councils would be more effective .

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:48 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:

and how much is that going to cost us all ?

also how many drivers would be caught out ?.............I would think very few !

surely tightening up the rules which currently allow little or no liaison between police and councils would be more effective .

it shouldn't cost anything. if you use the update service, which is mandatory here, you just give the details to the council and they can check it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:15 pm 

I would think most councils would want to charge the extra administrative costs back to the drivers

So I would expect an extra £30 to £40 on the annual fees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:35 pm 

just noticed I have received an email from the DFT which I will carefully read through. I think they have listened to the wrong people. we shall see what comes of this but I suspect a load of extra expense for drivers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:15 pm 

Quote:

Should be interesting.

I thought the whole point of the enhanced checking process was to ensure the police reported any offences directly to the licensing authority.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 pm 

grandad wrote:

Sent to me by The Taxi and Buses Dept at DfT.

The Statutory Standards are an important first step in reforming the way the taxi and private hire vehicle sector is regulated and should ensure consistent standards between licensing authorities. Government fully expects licensing authorities to implement these measures as soon as possible. Given this, and following engagement with the sector, the Government will not, at this time, take forward out-of-area restrictions.

Later this year we will consult on revised best practice guidance that will reflect the enormous changes that the sector has undergone in recent years and make clear recommendations on the measures licensing authorities should consider to enable the trade to react to the demands of passengers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:18 pm 

Quote:
Given this, and following engagement with the sector,

What f***ing engagement? [-(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:15 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

I am still waiting for a response to e-mail sent to Shapps via my MP,that man is a total waste of space.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:40 pm 

You do realise that he is suggesting that most of you are Paedophiles and need special attention

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:35 pm 

I wonder if teachers,sports coaches, scout leaders etc, will be checked every six months as well ? After all, for those of us who don’t do school runs, we seldom have contact with children, I can’t remember the last time I had a minor as an unaccompanied passenger.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:27 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

probably just uber's bosses and Delta cabs or Addy lee and maybe toots.

had they listened to CC doubt this would have been the outcome :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:38 pm 

Quote:
probably just uber's bosses and Delta cabs or Addy lee and maybe toots.

Who or what is Toots?? :-s

The one who posts on here once in a blue moon?