Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:19 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
Quote:
probably just uber's bosses and Delta cabs or Addy lee and maybe toots.

Who or what is Toots?? :-s

The one who posts on here once in a blue moon?

yes she also happens to run a certain organisation which represents PH drivers and until recently used to send a monthly newspaper to me even though I have never been a member. :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 pm 

edders23 wrote:
yes she also happens to run a certain organisation which represents PH drivers and until recently used to send a monthly newspaper to me even though I have never been a member. :wink:

Ah, I see :-s

Just happened to see this on the PHTM website. Not sure whose work it is (I'm guessing it's the view of the NPHTA, but not sure - it could be the view of an individual member, for example), but whoever wrote it isn't a happy bunny. So if Toots/the NPHTA were involved in the consulation, they certainly aren't happy with the outcome [-(

LATEST DFT BULLETIN IS AN INSULT AND AN UTTER DISGRACE

https://www.phtm.co.uk/news/2920/phtm-n ... r-disgrace

IT'S AN INSULT AND AN UTTER DISGRACE

On Monday 20 July 2020 the Department for Transport conducted a Microsoft Teams meeting amongst various members of the DfT and of the Task and Finish Group, to be informed of and to discuss the introduction of “Statutory Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Standards”, which will go out to be “reviewed” by all local authorities over the next six months – not sure of the start date.

This material had already gone out to industry and public consultation during 2018; no document had resulted at that time.

So now the Government does indeed acknowledge the existence of the taxi and private hire industry; however once again their primary concern – their ONLY concern - is the safety and wellbeing of taxi/PHV passengers.

That of course is also the concern of the trade itself. But these ‘statutory standards’ are entirely surrounding passenger safeguarding issues, and the prevention of the Rotherham (and others) syndrome, and increasing the drivers’ DBS checks to twice-yearly.

So for the behaviour of a very few ‘bad pennies’ amongst drivers, the entire industry is tarred with the same brush – the same brush that has airbrushed this industry out of any Government consideration for recognition, financial assistance, any sort of backup whatever during this pandemic.

For each of those cases, there are 100 serious and even fatal attacks carried out on drivers, but that doesn't matter!! We know that far more drivers get assaulted, robbed and abused every day, but that doesn't matter right?

Yes, there is mention of CCTV and whether each individual local authority will consider allowing its use in licensed vehicles. But again, their concern is entirely for the wellbeing of the passengers. Vehicle proprietors will still have to find the cost of installing this equipment; where is there any assistance along those lines?

In this bulletin there is not one word about Covid, and the effects of the pandemic/lockdown/relaxation on either transport providers, drivers or indeed their passengers.

Our industry is on its knees, drivers are out of work and suffering physical, financial and mental setbacks; companies and drivers by the hundreds are providing discounted or voluntary (free of charge) transport to NHS and key workers. Drivers are dying out there. And all this Government can do is to consider the wellbeing of passengers, and talk about safeguarding a la Rotherham.

THIS IS A DOWNRIGHT INSULT TO OUR TRADE

Read on, and give us your comments please…we will forward them straight to the DfT without hesitation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:37 pm 

Quote:
So for the behaviour of a very few ‘bad pennies’ amongst drivers, the entire industry is tarred with the same brush – the same brush that has airbrushed this industry out of any Government consideration for recognition, financial assistance, any sort of backup whatever during this pandemic.

What a load of, er, stuff :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:57 pm 

MR T wrote:
You do realise that he is suggesting that most of you are Paedophiles and need special attention

In the same context he is suggesting you are a retired one and need special attention.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:14 pm 

heathcote wrote:
MR T wrote:
You do realise that he is suggesting that most of you are Paedophiles and need special attention

In the same context he is suggesting you are a retired one and need special attention.

I do need special attention :p :p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:33 am 

The Scottish Equivelant of your DBS is called a "Disclosure Scotland" check, you'd need to become a member of that scheme for a taxi PH license, it has no end date and is under continual review by the police, it's yours until you lose it only if the police say you shouldnt have it or until you volunteer to opt out of the "Disclosure Scotland" records scheme.

On top of that if we transport children or children and adults with disabilities we have to be a member of the "PVG" record scheme wich is also an ongoing scheme and functions similar to and along side the above scheme.

The great thing with these schemes is that although you get a paper certificate any interested official parties such as the council can request to view your scheme records on line and you as a driver don't need to keep applying annually and nor do you need to show them a hard copy.

maybe that's what's coming your way....it's an easy system if you have a clean record.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 am 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:

Toots was a TDO regular, a real gem, a very nice lady and all round good guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:01 am 

edders23 wrote:
StuartW wrote:
Quote:

She also came to see me once so that she could have a drive in the pink limousine that we had at the time. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:33 pm 

I have never forgiven her for the blatant and deliberate mis-representation of SKDC in the "league tables"

But apart from that I'm sure she does do a good job representing the trade which is why she doesn't have time to come on here any more

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:35 pm 

Quote:
She also came to see me once so that she could have a drive in the pink limousine that we had at the time.

that wasn't the same one that used to sometimes be parked at the top end of Stamford was it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:56 pm 

bloodnock wrote:
Toots was a TDO regular, a real gem, a very nice lady and all round good guy.

You mean *they're* trans, genderfluid, or whatever :lol: 8-[

Indeed, I recall Toots from Merseyside(?) but didn't know she'd moved on to greater things :-o

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Quote:
She also came to see me once so that she could have a drive in the pink limousine that we had at the time.

that wasn't the same one that used to sometimes be parked at the top end of Stamford was it ?

I wouldn't think so. I don't think we ever had a job in Stamford for the pink limo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:49 pm 

edders23 wrote:
I have never forgiven her for the blatant and deliberate mis-representation of SKDC in the "league tables"

You are mixing up two different people. :-$

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:47 pm 

grandad wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't think so. I don't think we ever had a job in Stamford for the pink limo.

There was a bloke running limo's round here at one time I think his name was Pete as well. He had about 4 at one time but that dwindled to 2 and then none. The pink one was the last to go I think.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:48 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

You are mixing up two different people. :-$

possibly but it does irritate me that they won't put it right !