Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:10 pm 

x-ray wrote:
Perhaps the way it’s going to work is if an Uber vehicle isn’t available, they’ll pass it on to a local ‘Autocab’ company and charge them an admin fee/percentage of the fare ?

Is the correct answer.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm 

Quote:
Which would mean more and more people using the Uber app in that area to book cars, so the local operator loses direct bookings, which would then go to their cars via Uber and Autocab.

That assumes there is only one local operator.

If there are more than one, often the case IMO, then the Autocab operator has a huge advantage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm 

I wonder whether the Competition and Markets Authority May have an interest in this?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:33 pm 

x-ray wrote:
I wonder whether the Competition and Markets Authority May have an interest in this?

Be surprised if they did.

Looking at various articles/blogs/forums folks are saying that Autocab have 25% share of the data dispatch market. My view is that is on the high side but even so that's not exactly a monopoly.

Even if you added Uber's fleet I'm not sure as that's enough, especially when you consider Uber allow drivers to work as many apps as they want.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:41 pm 

Uber finds new route to reach passengers in Brighton and Hove

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/202 ... -and-hove/

The cab hailing app Uber has found a new way to reach passengers in Brighton and Hove, by buying Autocab, the software business that supports a leading local taxi firm.

The move is expected to mean that Uber will own the booking and dispatch system used by Southern Taxis which runs City Cabs and South Coast Taxis.

Southern – like most taxi and private hire firms in the country – buys the services of a booking and dispatch software supplier, with most cab companies using one of just a handful of suppliers.

Uber said that the move would give passengers the chance to request an Uber driver or one from a local firm.

And for cabbies, it is expected to mean more business as passengers searching for an Uber could be offered a local firm – and not just in places where Uber has no licence.

The controversial American business’s aggressive tactics have led to resistance and opposition in a number of towns and cities in Britain and elsewhere.

And it faces the prospect of a big tax bill – for VAT – as well as the loss of its licence in London and the possibility that Uber drivers will be classed as workers.

After losing the employment law case, Uber appealed to the Supreme Court, with a judgment due in the autumn. If it loses again, some believe that Uber’s British cab business could go to the wall.

The changes resulting from the Autocab deal are expected to take a few months at least before passengers start receiving the extra choices promised.

Southern and boss Andy Cheesman were approached but had no comment at this stage.

Autocab said: “The only thing that will change is the scale at which we operate.

“Every month thousands of people open the Uber app in places the company doesn’t operate to try to get a trip.

“Uber hasn’t launched a new city since 2016 and through Autocab’s iGo marketplace, like other existing aggregators, Uber will be able to connect these riders with local operators.

“In turn, operators should be able to expand their operations and offer more earnings opportunities to local drivers.

“We believe there are additional revenue opportunities related to our platform for other services, such as delivery and business trips.”

The company told local taxi firms: “Uber … will be directing significant additional demand to your business, supplementing your own trips, which means less dead miles for drivers and greater weekly earnings potential.”

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 pm 

Quote:
Southern and boss Andy Cheesman were approached but had no comment at this stage.

First time in his entire life he has stayed quiet. :-#

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:59 pm 

I can't see anyone else in their right mind signing up with Autocab from now on, but i can imagine that lots of ph companies may migrate to other systems. In my opinion, Uber didn't intend to buy a business in Autocab, just data that will or may be used to eventually oust these ph companies that use Autocab.
Very worrying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:26 pm 

Coopers wrote:
I can't see anyone else in their right mind signing up with Autocab from now on, but i can imagine that lots of ph companies may migrate to other systems. In my opinion, Uber didn't intend to buy a business in Autocab, just data that will or may be used to eventually oust these ph companies that use Autocab.
Very worrying.

I think the problem is it could cost a fortune to migrate to another system, only to find Uber buying them out in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:47 pm 

Everyone seems to be forgetting the pie is always the same size,the slice in this trade is always getting smaller,Ubers sole intention is to have total control of the pie and reduce the ever shrinking slice to a crumb.

When will you waken up to the threat that is there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:39 pm 

I don't think they'll ever have it all their own way. I can't see them getting involved with local authority contracts, minibuses over 8 seats( different licensing regime) or forward pre bookings. Additionally,there are many customers that will always prefer to actually use the phone and book with a local operator.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:15 pm 

I can see Uber losing the 'workers rights' Supreme Court case.

I can see Uber losing the VAT case when that eventually happens.

Not sure about the London ops license appeal.

However if they lost all three, then this Autocab take over is the perfect back up for them.

If they pass work to another operator then the 'workers rights' issue isn't a Uber problem anymore.

If they lose the VAT case then they can pass on work and only pay VAT on the commission, not on the whole fare.

If they get booted out of London then they can pass the work to existing Autocab operators, and in my view the large number of new Autocab operators.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Uber will build a new version of autocab with the uber app built into it.

They will then offer it at a fraction of the cost of icabbi,sherlock etc.

Money talks they will control the UK market in a few years time

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:49 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I can see Uber losing the 'workers rights' Supreme Court case.

I can see Uber losing the VAT case when that eventually happens.

Not sure about the London ops license appeal.

However if they lost all three, then this Autocab take over is the perfect back up for them.

If they pass work to another operator then the 'workers rights' issue isn't a Uber problem anymore.

If they lose the VAT case then they can pass on work and only pay VAT on the commission, not on the whole fare.

If they get booted out of London then they can pass the work to existing Autocab operators, and in my view the large number of new Autocab operators.

If Uber or any operator are paid the fare before passing it to the driver surely VAT is paid on the full fare?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:29 am 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
Then Uber's built up a customer base in the town, and start taking on cars under their own banner?

But they haven't got an operator's license for those areas, nor for that matter any cars.

But the point is, surely, that it's an easy way to get a foot in the door of these local markets, then once they've built up a customer base, get an operator's licence and give the jobs directly to the cars. The cars could still actually be working for the Autocab firm. Assuming by that time the firm hasn't smelt the rat.

As I said, the smaller markets are more numerous and a tougher nut for Uber to crack in terms economies of scale etc, but this looks like an easier way in.

Sussex wrote:
And what's stopping the Autocab operator doing what you think Uber might do and grab their customers?

Indeed, but presumably the reason people looking to book via Uber is either because they're not regulars in the area, or they're looking for an alternative to the local firms. So they might get a lower price from Uber, say, which the Autocab operator will have to accept. Either way, these customers not really the type that the local operator could 'grab' from Uber.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:54 am 

Sussex wrote:
x-ray wrote:

Be surprised if they did.

Looking at various articles/blogs/forums folks are saying that Autocab have 25% share of the data dispatch market. My view is that is on the high side but even so that's not exactly a monopoly.

Even if you added Uber's fleet I'm not sure as that's enough, especially when you consider Uber allow drivers to work as many apps as they want.

Lots of ways to look at this, but it's more about the effect on competition rather than simply market share. And certainly doesn't need to be a monopoly.

But if the CMA were interested I suspect they'd be looking at the effects on local markets, since that's the most obvious place where competition might be distorted, if Uber and a local provider had a significant combined market share.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next