Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:55 am 

Once again, there have been reports in the trade press that production of the Metrocab has ceased.

Of course, there is the theory that LTI were behind the most recent reopening of the company, but nevertheless there were some new cabs sold.

Now though, I think this really could be the end for the Metrocab. With 'alternative' taxis being licensed by more and more LAs I find it unlikely that anyone will make a serious go of the company in future.

Of course, different firms have stepped in over the years and got the firm back on track again for a while, so it would not be totally out of the question. I do think though that this could be the end, and it's a real shame as the Metrocab has proven over the years to be a good, reliable cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:05 am 

A shame if that's the end, but more for those that make it than for those that drive it.

Everytime I see one I think I'm watching an episode of 'Life on Mars'. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:30 pm 

fairway wrote:

Once again, there have been reports in the trade press that production of the Metrocab has ceased.

Of course, there is the theory that LTI were behind the most recent reopening of the company, but nevertheless there were some new cabs sold.

Now though, I think this really could be the end for the Metrocab. With 'alternative' taxis being licensed by more and more LAs I find it unlikely that anyone will make a serious go of the company in future.

Of course, different firms have stepped in over the years and got the firm back on track again for a while, so it would not be totally out of the question. I do think though that this could be the end, and it's a real shame as the Metrocab has proven over the years to be a good, reliable cab.

You have got to be having a laugh :lol: “a good reliable cab” :lol: it’s no different than that other expensive heap of junk the TX. Think about it from the perspective of an open market. They wouldn’t last 5 minutes. The only reason they’ve struggled this far is because of disaffected Lti owners desperate for an alternative. Anyone could convince themself the metro cab was good after driving the fairway and TX.

I’m not trying to have a go at you fairway but this end of the Metro era sentimentality pish does my brains in. :roll: My only regret is the dinosaurs that buy them are not still behind the wheel when they put them through the crusher. :-({|= That way the rest of us can get on with earning a living. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:41 pm 

Just think, the Metro Cab, the TX, all gone, along with Cartels and plate rationing.

Utopia!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:17 pm 

fairway wrote:

Its not a rumour, its a fact.

The receivers have posted the obligitary notice on the front door of Tamworth.

Despites Skulls dislike of the Metro, I have yet to meet the owner of a TTT who has been dissapointed with their purchase.

The Toyota engine rates highly.

A choice would indeed be better, but as that looks increasingly unlikely for the forseable future, the Metro TTT would have been my choice in a couple of years.

Post subject: METROCAB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:30 pm 

I would say that there are far more drivers prefer the Toyota engine in the Metro than the Ford engine in the TX. This in my opinion is the biggest downfall of the TXII, the Nissan unit in the Fw and the TX1 was a sound engine, proven in the trade.

The Transit engine that's used in the TX is far louder than the one in the new Metrocab TTT. If you listen on the rank, the Metro can ahrdly be heard compared with a TX (and that is a fact).

Being completely honest, I have never been a fan of the Metrocab, but nobody can say that it hasn't been a successful taxi. There are plenty of old ones still going strong, and of course there's no rusting to worry about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:41 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
fairway wrote:

Its not a rumour, its a fact.

The receivers have posted the obligitary notice on the front door of Tamworth.

Despites Skulls dislike of the Metro, I have yet to meet the owner of a TTT who has been dissapointed with their purchase.

The Toyota engine rates highly.

A choice would indeed be better, but as that looks increasingly unlikely for the forseable future, the Metro TTT would have been my choice in a couple of years.

You’re talking about Taxi Owners here GBC. I could line up a dozen or more TX owners in the blink of an eye that would swear blind the TX is the best thing since slice bread. Image

Every year they trot off down to John Paton & Son with £32,000 in hand asking to be roger’d.Image

Imagine selling someone a TX or Metro Cab. I couldn't keep a straight face. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:01 pm 

I love my 'F' reg Metro. But then I have no choice. I have had a few cabs in my time, and I like the metro best. The body is great for its age. Any M&O (LTI) body would have had to have panels replaced or be 1/3 metal and rust, and 2/3 filler.
Of course the transit engine is noisy, But that is the sound of pent up power raring to go.. :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:32 pm 

McDeHack wrote:
I love my 'F' reg Metro. But then I have no choice. I have had a few cabs in my time, and I like the metro best. The body is great for its age. Any M&O (LTI) body would have had to have panels replaced or be 1/3 metal and rust, and 2/3 filler.
Of course the transit engine is noisy, But that is the sound of pent up power raring to go.. :lol: :lol:

Scary :shock: could be Edinburgh :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:27 am 

We should all be e mailing Nissan or Toyota or even VW and telling them that metro cab is for sale , then if any of them do decide to buy the company watch LTI squirm
Lets all try that you never know who wants a world beating rustproof taxi with a decent engine :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 5:43 pm 

skippy41 wrote:
Lets all try that you never know who wants a world beating rustproof taxi with a decent engine :mrgreen:

The PCO and the T&G. [-(