Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 pm 

The video can be viewed here on Twitter. It's not on the Sentinel's website:

(The sound may be turned off, but just click on the loudspeaker icon below the video to turn it on again.)

https://twitter.com/Munir566/status/1218482776619593728

Viral video shows horrific racial abuse of 'Stoke-on-Trent taxi driver'

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... al-3754880

Police are investigating the disturbing footage, which has been condemned after being widely shared on Facebook and Twitter

Police have confirmed they are investigating a viral video showing a Stoke-on-Trent taxi driver being horrifically racially abused.

The video, which has been widely shared across social media, has been seen thousands of times on Facebook and Twitter.

In the footage, a man – who sounds like he's under the influence of alcohol – can be heard chanting 'England Till We Die' before launching a tirade of verbal abuse towards the driver.

After calling the driver a 'f***ing f****t', the passenger demands his money back and threatens to 'smash his head in and take his taxi off him'.

He then says: "You're getting terrorised by English people because you're a dirty P*** b*****d bruv. Dirty Muslim b*****d.

"P*** f*****s, I'll take his taxi off him if he doesn't take me home."

The passenger then shouts at the driver to give him a further £10 and demands to be taken to Cheddleton.

In response to people sharing the video with the force on social media, Staffordshire Police chief constable Gareth Morgan confirmed on Twitter this incident would be investigated.

Stoke-on-Trent North and Kidsgrove MP Jonathan Gullis condemned racist behaviour in the video.

Posting on Twitter, he said: "What a disgrace from those mindless idiots. I hope the full weight of the law is thrown at them.

"Racism has no place in our society and I will champion all the good done by our local black and Asian community.

"These racists don't speak for the people of Stoke-on-Trent."

StokeonTrentLive has decided not to share the video at this time. We have been given the name of the taxi company for whom it is believed the driver works and have approached them for comment.

We have also approached Staffordshire Police for a comment and are awaiting a response.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:33 pm 

Not clear how the video came to be online in the first place. Looks like it's the perp's own video, so maybe he was playing Billy Big Bollocks (as Sussex would say) with some friends, or whatever, but the thing's gotten out and has now gone viral =D>

Shouldn't be too difficult to identify him, though. There's talk of his identity online, and a suggestion he's got history for this sort of thing.

Suspect his collar will be felt pretty soon =D>

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:03 pm 

Turns out the video is from six months ago, and police have already dealt with it - perp had to write a 'letter of apology' to the victim :roll:

Well that's that headcase told :evil: ](*,)

How police dealt with man who racially abused Stoke-on-Trent taxi driver

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... ho-3755601

The video, from August 2019, has re-emerged on social media

Police officers have revealed how a man who racially abused a Stoke-on-Trent taxi driver in a video that has gone viral was dealt with.

The clip - originally filmed in August 2019 - emerged on Snapchat on Friday night and has since been viewed thousands of times across Facebook and Twitter.

In the video, a man - who sounds like he is under the influence of alcohol - can be heard chanting 'England Til We Die' before launching a barrage of racial abuse at the taxi driver.

Staffordshire Police confirmed officers offered the individual a 'community resolution' - meaning he had to write a letter of apology to his victim and pay his fare - which sparked the initial row.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "We're aware of a video that has recently been circulating on social media involving a hate crime. This relates to an incident that was reported to us in August 2019 where a taxi driver was subjected to threats and abuse

"It was dealt with at the time by a community resolution, which is a non-conviction route, it could have involved the victim having a letter of apology written to them, or the fare paid.

"The video has resurfaced and police officers have now spoken to the person involved about the ramifications of that.

"We have again spoken to the victim to check on their welfare and continue to offer them support.

"Hate crime will not be tolerated and we takes reports of such incidents seriously."[…]

StokeonTrentLive has decided not to share the video at this time. We have been given the name of the taxi company for whom it is believed the driver works and have approached them for comment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 pm 

Quote:
Staffordshire Police confirmed officers offered the individual a 'community resolution' - meaning he had to write a letter of apology to his victim and pay his fare - which sparked the initial row.

Lazy policing IMO. #-o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:30 am 

An interesting exchange in the comments section of the Sentinel's website, by people who are obviously a bit better informed than most.

But obviously they're not in agreement either, but what's surely clear is that the police and prosecutors could have taken more stringent action if they'd been so minded. Don't know if a letter of apology would have been appropriate even for a teenage first offender, but the perp here hardly sounds like a teenager, and I'd guess he isn't a first offender either.

Suspect this thing resurfacing again will just strengthen his Billy Big Bollocks credentials with his mates, and he'll be bragging about how he abused and threatened a taxi driver, and got away with it even though it's been plastered all over the media. (Think it's in the nationals as well.)

Quote:
On the face of it this offender wasn't punished. However, if he'd been charged with racially aggravated threatening behaviour, which is the only offence he committed, he would probably only have been given a conditional discharge or a small fine anyway. A racist being forced to write a letter of apology, to a man who the offender believed to be beneath himself, would have been unpalatable for him. Despite the obvious public outrage, this offender would not have been gaoled and no punishment would have been considered adequate. It's also worth considering that the victim also has to agree to the imposition of a Community Resolution so the taxi driver must have agreed to it otherwise it wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
Under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 s31(1)(a), if he had been found guilty at magistrates court he could have been sentenced to 6 months imprisonment and if found guilty at crown court he would have faced up to 2 years imprisonment.

One wonder whether this taxi driver was fearful of retribution and loss of business or just the better party in the sorry affair.

The outrage at the leniency of the "punishment" seems not so different to the outrage that you and others have expressed when thieves, drunks and petty drug dealers are given sentences perfectly in line with guidelines.

The worst aspect of this issue is the succour and encouragement it will give to racist idiots. In the same way, I would humbly suggest that the faux moral outrage and hysterical calls for punishment wholly disproportionate to the offences committed which pepper this site do nothing but create a climate in which violence and hate are normalised. Just my opinion.

Quote:
I agree with you Phil, but you've Googled the wrong legislation I think. I think he'd have been charged under Sec 4a of the POA. In any event, when have you ever seen anyone get the maximum sentence? If he entered a guilty plea the maximum sentence isn't even possible. I agree that the punishment doesn't appear to fit the crime, but the courts wouldn't have satisfied your lust for revenge; they never do. I still maintain that forcing a bigot to apologise to his victim, someone he feels superior to, will really mess with his head!

Quote:
Doc, point taken about the maximum being unlikely. I don't think prison works, either as retribution, rehabilitation or punishment, and I doubt a custodial sentence would have served justice in any meaningful way, so I'm not overly concerned at the leniency of his treatment, other than the collateral damage it does as a signal to the wider community. I think you're right that having to apologise is probably for more difficult for him to deal with than any other measure a court might have applied.

Quote:
Just to add, the CDA 1988 s31 and following sections was the legislation that added the element of racial/religious aggravation to the offence under s4 of the Public Order Act. The CPS would also have to consider whether s145 of the CJA 2003 is engaged - and yes I had to look it up because criminal law is not my area of expertise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:22 pm 

Well this is interesting. As I said the other day, it's beyond question that more stringent action *could* have been taken at the time, and looks like the powers that be are now doing so.

Not sure about the legalities of revisiting this, though, but I suppose the key is in the phrase 'new evidence'.

Man, 22, arrested after taxi driver robbed

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/st ... xi-3764269

The arrest follows the circulation of a video online - with police saying new evidence has been brought to their attention

A 22-year-old has been arrested after a taxi driver was reportedly robbed earlier this - police have confirmed tonight.

The man, in Cheddleton, has been arrested after a video - reportedly filmed in August - began circulating again on social media in recent days.

Police say the arrest came after new evidence was brought to their attention.

This evening, Tuesday January 21, Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "As a result of new evidence brought to the attention of Staffordshire Police, a 22-year-old man, from Cheddleton, has been arrested in connection with a robbery of a taxi driver in August 2019.

"He has been arrested on suspicion of robbery and perverting the course of justice and remains in custody.

"This is in relation to a video shared recently across social media.

"Local officers continue to support the taxi driver and provide community reassurance.

"Staffordshire Police takes reports of hate crime seriously and will deal with it robustly."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:26 pm 

Quote:
Police say the arrest came after new evidence was brought to their attention.

Reminds me of one or two incidents in the past that seem to have been revisited and more stringent action taken only after it's splattered all over the press - maybe the 'new evidence' is some adverse headlines and comments against Staffs Police? [-(

Of course, we've all been assuming that police saw the whole video etc at the time, but maybe they didn't. Stranger things have happened.

And I wonder what 'perverting the course of justice' is all about? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Oh dear have the police been embarrassed into actually taking action :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:27 pm 

Quote:
Not sure about the legalities of revisiting this, though, but I suppose the key is in the phrase 'new evidence'.

Not unique to revisit when the sh** hits the fan, following a woefully poor decision at the time.

Well done to those responsible if it happens in this case, although if they are looking to charge the racist with a summary offence, then they are timed out. :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:08 pm 

Man, 23, charged after taxi driver robbed in North Staffordshire

A 23-year-old Staffordshire Moorlands man is set to appear in court after a taxi driver was robbed.

Samuel Thomas Egerton has been charged with robbery and a racially aggravated public order offence - police have announced this afternoon.

A Staffordshire Police spokeswoman said: "On August 4 2019, a taxi driver, on a journey between Dilhorne and Cheddleton, was robbed by a passenger who used threatening/abusive/insulting words or behaviour which was racially aggravated.

"A video of the incident was circulated on social media in January 2020."

Egerton, of Grange Road, Cheddleton, is due to appear before magistrates at the North Staffordshire Justice Centre on November 12.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:32 am 

Well remembered =D>

Can barely recall the stuff in this thread, even though I waffled on at length at the time :?