Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 pm 

Sussex wrote:
See the Chancellor has extended the furlough scheme for another month until April.

Now we don't have a clue what % we will get, or when we will get it, but at least we will get something.

Not everyone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
See the Chancellor has extended the furlough scheme for another month until April.

Now we don't have a clue what % we will get, or when we will get it, but at least we will get something.

But the SEISS had been allocated for Feb/March/April some time ago anyway, it was just a question of the %age?

But I'm assuming it'll be quite high - presumably another 80%.

Was reading earlier that some experts are predicting a fifth grant, while others say the fourth one will be the last.

Given what's happening I wouldn't rule out a fifth grant, but maybe quite a low one like 20-40% [-o<

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:29 pm 

Does anyone think that the latest tax returns will be taken into consideration after the end of Jan?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:42 pm 

grandad wrote:
Does anyone think that the latest tax returns will be taken into consideration after the end of Jan?

Be very surprised if they did take it into account.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:48 pm 

grandad wrote:

Certainly possible - after all, the figures would be more up to date, and maybe those who missed out earlier would now be included (although I can't recall the precises rules in that regard).

On the other hand, not sure if HMRC would be able to process all the info from the new tax returns in time to process the next payment.

Whether that would help or hinder us individually is another matter though, and would obviously depend on your individual figures.

Don't think my numbers are a whole lot different from previous years, though, but I'll have to look it up #-o

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:50 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Be very surprised if they did take it into account.

Yes, despite what I said, if I had to put money on it I'd guess they'd just use the existing figures. Maybe different for the more recently self-employed, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:14 pm 

Heart-stopping moment on rare visit to TaxiPoint's website earlier. See what I'm getting at? :shock:

Anyway, seems it's simply about details of the fourth SEISS grant not being announced until the Budget on 3 March :-o

So a bit of a relief after my initial thoughts, but that was about the date I was hoping it would be in the bank - the last one hit my account in first few of days in December.

Or at least the info about the Budget came from Martin Lewis, who was apparently briefed by HM Treasury, so just have to assume it's correct unless we hear different :?

But may be something to do with the latest tax returns being used for the next grant, or at least there's talk of the newly self-employed being included this time, so maybe just for them.

And also maybe relevant is that you've a month longer than usual to file your tax return without penalty, and thus the Budget speech will happen just a couple of days after the tax return deadline.

Anyway, the Express's website seems to have an article on the SEISS almost every day, although a lot of it is rehashed.

In fact they seem to have two different articles by different journalists this afternoon alone, although I can't be bothered checking to see if they're largely the same.

But visit these links at your peril. My browser doesn't cope too well with the Express's website ](*,)

Although slightly better than TaxiPoint, which doesn't just play havoc with my browser, but seems to grind my whole laptop to a halt as well :-o

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/perso ... grant-hmrc

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/perso ... hanges-EVG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:01 pm 

Quote:
But may be something to do with the latest tax returns being used for the next grant, or at least there's talk of the newly self-employed being included this time, so maybe just for them.

As HMRC have extended the date for the 2019/20 return until the end of Feb 2021 I can't see them using the latest figures.

I do though expect those who previously were unable to claim to at long last get some help from central government.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:45 am 

Hi everyone hope you are all keeping safe, I only joined this forum today as something has been bothering me.
I was reading through a forum on moneysavingexpert and a London Cabbie says apparently his accountant has told him because he has temporarily stopped working since the March lockdown started he'll have to pay all the SEISS grant money back unless he goes back to work before the end of the tax year even though after paying the Hackney settle he'll be losing money because of lack of work.
Does anyone know if this is true because I'm sort of in the same situation, I'm a hackney driver and was the carer for my mother in law who was classed as extremely vulnerable and was told by the doctor she must not go out so I couldn't risk working and caring for her.
She unfortunately ended up in hospital in the summer with a Kidney infection and during her stay there caught Covid and died because of the Virus a few weeks later eusasmiles.zip
I fully intend to go back to work on the cabs after this pandemic is over but at the moment I can't because the company I hire the cab from won't give me enough of a discount so I could actually turn a profit plus my wife is severely depressed after the death of her mother and won't be too happy if I go out to work all day risking our health for maybe a loss or a tiny profit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:44 pm 

In my considered opinion that’s a load of old fanny.

Basically the grants have been issued on the basis of loss of income.

If someone has stopped working it’s fair to assume they have lost income.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:49 pm 

You will have to declare it in your 20/21 tax return, and pay any tax on it that’s due.

But for most folks that haven’t worked it will fall well under the £12,500 tax threshold.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:23 pm 

Sussex wrote:
In my considered opinion that’s a load of old fanny.

Basically the grants have been issued on the basis of loss of income.

If someone has stopped working it’s fair to assume they have lost income.

Thank's for your reply.
That's exactly the way I interpreted the rules when I applied for the three grants, the third grant's conditions seemed a lot more vague though with the possible scenarios in the rules with one almost implying if your customers leave and you could but didn't look for a replacement then you didn't qualify.

(copy and paste here from HMRC website) 'The client of a dog walker cancels a contract due to coronavirus. The dog walker could but chooses not to look for additional work to replace the contract. This means her business activity and her trading profits are reduced because she chooses not to replace the contract and not because of coronavirus. She is not eligible for the third grant'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:46 pm 

Sussex wrote:
You will have to declare it in your 20/21 tax return, and pay any tax on it that’s due.

But for most folks that haven’t worked it will fall well under the £12,500 tax threshold.

Is right =D>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:51 pm 

PaulAndPam wrote:
That's exactly the way I interpreted the rules when I applied for the three grants, the third grant's conditions seemed a lot more vague though with the possible scenarios in the rules with one almost implying if your customers leave and you could but didn't look for a replacement then you didn't qualify.

Funny, I was just checking out the HMRC stuff and the dog walker example was the one I was going to post :-o

However, I'm maybe not as certain about it as Sussex. I'm guessing that if an accountant has said this then it's because the driver might be considered not to be trading. I don't think it's a problem that there's no work, but maybe the accountant is suggesting that you're supposed to work even if you're making zero or very little. But it would surely be a bit much to ask a taxi driver to actually work at a loss.

In fact that's why I'm not working much at the moment - if I get a fare at all I'd be lucky, so a few miles on the clock and idling the car a lot of the time to keep warm, and it's pointless.

Then again, I've got the car at the door, so can give it a go occasionally (when on a shopping trip, for example, which means I'm not running the car for nothing), so a bit easier to say I'm still trading.

But I certainly can't see the relevance of the tax year to what the accountant was saying. That doesn't seem in any way relevant.

Do you have a link to the actual post on the post on MoneySavingExpert?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:17 pm 

StuartW wrote:
PaulAndPam wrote:

Funny, I was just checking out the HMRC stuff and the dog walker example was the one I was going to post :-o

However, I'm maybe not as certain about it as Sussex. I'm guessing that if an accountant has said this then it's because the driver might be considered not to be trading. I don't think it's a problem that there's no work, but maybe the accountant is suggesting that you're supposed to work even if you're making zero or very little. But it would surely be a bit much to ask a taxi driver to actually work at a loss.

In fact that's why I'm not working much at the moment - if I get a fare at all I'd be lucky, so a few miles on the clock and idling the car a lot of the time to keep warm, and it's pointless.

Then again, I've got the car at the door, so can give it a go occasionally (when on a shopping trip, for example, which means I'm not running the car for nothing), so a bit easier to say I'm still trading.

But I certainly can't see the relevance of the tax year to what the accountant was saying. That doesn't seem in any way relevant.
Like · Reply · 29w

Do you have a link to the actual post on the post on MoneySavingExpert?

Here's the discussion link and a copy & pasted comment he made is below if you cant find it on there. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... im-my-bus/

Alf Cook

I am a london taxi driver but havent worked since lockdown. I was told by a friend that if I dont work befor April next year I will have to pay back the grants given to me by HMRC i check with my accountants who comfirem the it is true, came as a surprise to me. Hope you are all staying safe.
Like · Reply · 29w

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next