Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:14 pm 

This is the basic list provided by HMRC as regards other income:

income from earnings
    property income
    dividends
    savings income
    pension income
    overseas income
    miscellaneous income (including taxable social security income)

Of course, very few people will have income from all those sources.

But say you make £12k profits from taxiing, but £14k from a pension and dividends.

So that's £26k in total, but the taxiing is only 46% of the total, so you're ineligible for the grants because it's less than 50% of total income.

However, if you make £15k profits from taxiing, but £12k from a PAYE job, then that's £27k in total, and you'd be eligible for the grant because your taxiing represents 56% of your total income.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:05 pm 

Boris has just announced that the self-employed will receive an 80% grant for the lockdown period.

So for the first new grant (third actual grant) it will be 40% for two months, and 80% for one month, thus an average of 53%.

No new announcement on the second grant (forth actual grant), so that will remain at 20%.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
No new announcement on the second grant (forth actual grant), so that will remain at 20%.

Was a figure for the fourth grant actually announced :?:

I didn't think the figure would be specified until a later date.

Anyway, here's hoping the latest extension also applies to Scottish claimants.

I think the furlough extension is only for England at the moment, because we're not fully locked down here. Yet.

Of course, Sturgeon is milking that for all it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:38 pm 

Quote:

No, I'm just guessing.

If the third grant was originally 20%, then I assumed the fourth wouldn't be higher, and any lower would be kind of pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:39 pm 

Quote:
Anyway, here's hoping the lateset extension also applies to Scottish claimants.

He did say a number of times it was a UK furlong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:46 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54781028

up to 55 percent now :D

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:11 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm just guessing.

If the third grant was originally 20%, then I assumed the fourth wouldn't be higher, and any lower would be kind of pointless.

Yes, I was kind of assuming it would be 20% as well when it was first announced.

But now we've had two increases for the first grant, maybe the second one will be a bit higher as well [-o<

Sussex wrote:
He did say a number of times it was a UK furlong.

Well yesterday it certainly seemed to be assumed that the furlough extension only applied to England, because that's where the fuller lockdown is happening, but whether that's now being clarified I'm not sure.

Of course, the SEISS scheme is a different kettle of fish, but if it was consistent with furlough then presumably today's announcement wouldn't apply up here.

Of course, the criteria for SEISS has always seemed a bit more blunderbuss-ish than the furlough, so here's hoping we'll get the few more quid up here too. (In fact we should get an extra heating allowance anyway, especially with my circulation problem 8-[ )

Covid in Scotland: Calls for clarity over furlough extension

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54768330

The Treasury has been asked to provide clarity over the furlough scheme extension following the announcement of a four-week lockdown in England.

The scheme, which pays up to 80% of wages of people unable to work, will now run until December.

Both First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross said support should be available if Scotland goes into a full lockdown later on.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:20 pm 

Quote:
Both First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross said support should be available if Scotland goes into a full lockdown later on.

Misery guts who leads the SNP in Westminster did ask and Boris said to him it was a UK wide scheme, and the 80% would apply.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 pm 

Another thing that just come to me is how, without asking, would the scheme know where you earned your self-employed living.

So a person who's based in Fife could well earn their self-employed living in Berwick or Newcastle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:31 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:

Misery guts who leads the SNP in Westminster did ask and Boris said to him it was a UK wide scheme, and the 80% would apply.

=D>

Oh well, that should pay the rent for another month :)

And that's another good reason not to have a TV - no need to watch that millionaire SNP blowhard claiming he's just a 'humble crofter' =;

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 pm 

edders23 wrote:

Think that's maybe a slight error from the BBC there - as Sussex said earlier, it's 53%

In fact, 53.33% to be precise.

I mean, that's the average of 40 + 40 + 80, surely :idea:

160 divided by 3 equals 53.33 [-(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Another thing that just come to me is how, without asking, would the scheme know where you earned your self-employed living.

So a person who's based in Fife could well earn their self-employed living in Berwick or Newcastle.

Yes, I was kind of thinking that when posting earlier.

Maybe where you're claiming from, which in my case would be the right location as regards where I'm earning, but obviously not in everyone's case.

Of course, there's all sorts of inconsistencies like that anyway, as least as regards eligibility in numerical terms - as per last night, if someone gets 49% of their income from the trade, they get zero grant, if they get 51% they get the full grant.

And, as I said when the scheme was first announced, if you earn £49,999 from self-employment you'll end up with the thick end of £20k in grants, but if you earn £50,001 you get zilch because it's over the £50,000 limit :shock:

Anyway, looks like nothing's changed with the SEISS apart from the 80% for one month.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:25 pm 

I think the Scotland / England thing was more about what would happen if Scotland had to go into Lockdown when England didnt, it was never going to affect the UK wide Seiss payments but any further Scottish Seiss type scheme just in case wee Jimmy Krankie decided to Lock Down when Boris didnt not.....after all we are all UK tax payers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:11 pm 

Quote:
Anyway, supposedly the scheme for the third grant opens on 14 December

Think I read somewhere today that the date is being moved forward to the 30th November.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:37 am 

Indeed, that's what's stated on the official Government webpage:

HM Treasury wrote:
And to ensure those who need support get it as soon as possible, payments will also be made more quickly with the claims window being brought forward from 14 December to 30 November.

So that's another piece of good news.

Interestingly, the Treasury's statement also uses the 55% figure that Edders quoted from the BBC's news page earlier (and presumably the BBC just using the Treasury's figure).

HM Treasury wrote:
As SEISS grants are calculated over three months, the uplift for November to 80 per cent, along with the 40 per cent level of trading profits for December and January, increases the total level of the third grant to 55 per cent of trading profits. The maximum grant will increase to £5,160.

Am I missing something? Surely the average over the three months will be 53.33%?

I mean, if they rounded it down to 53% then that would be understandable, but not 55% :-k

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next