Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:03 pm 

I thought I would only get 1 month because I will have only been out of work for 1 month but,I'm sure if I do become PAYE then the HMRC will either ask me for some back later or,let me have it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:41 pm 

rayggb wrote:
I thought I would only get 1 month because I will have only been out of work for 1 month but,I'm sure if I do become PAYE then the HMRC will either ask me for some back later or,let me have it.

I think you will get it and you wont have to pay it back later because it is a grant and not a loan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:52 am 

rayggb wrote:

Can't see the relevance of taking a temporary job at all, assuming you intend returning to the trade. You should get the whole three months, whether you do nothing at all in terms of working, or in fact could conceivably be making more than previously if you managed to find a good-paying job.

As I said previously, an applicant's taxiing profits might be only marginally down yet you would get the full whack in terms of the three-month grant. Of course, most of us are either complete wipe-out or earning very little from the trade, but I daresay some will end up better off over the three months if they get the grant, assuming their trade earnings haven't suffered too much, or because they've managed to find another job (I think Grandad outlined one example of the latter in another thread).

So I don't think they'll be taking it back, assuming you get it - maybe only if further down the line they discovered an applicant was telling porkies, or whatever, then they'd take the whole lot back [-X

Of course, the grant will be included in your profits for the relevant tax return later, so HMRC will claw some of it back that way. And if you have some temporary income from another source then you'll be paying more tax on that than you normally would if it was your only income, because it'll be *extra* income rather than your *only* income.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:19 pm 

This seems to be some new information on the relevant HMG webpage. Most important point maybe that the thing will go live online on 13 May, and it's hoped payments will be made within six days :-o

But that doesn't mean that you'll be paid on 19 May, because it says something about 'telling you the date you can make your claim from', so presumably that's later than 13 May, but it's not entirely clear. I suspect they'll stage the applications over a week or two, to stop everyone applying at once. No doubt they'll do it alphabetically, so I'll be last except for the Xanders, Youngs and Zidanes :cry:

But I could be wrong, and it's all a bit vague, but obviously they intend to start getting the cash to people well before the originally stated early-June.

HM Government wrote:
How to claim

The online service will be available from 13 May 2020. If you’re eligible, we will tell you the date you can make your claim from. If your claim is approved you’ll receive your payment within 6 working days.

If you’re unable to claim online an alternative way to claim will be available. We will update this page with more information soon.

You do not need to contact HMRC now, as this will only delay the urgent work being undertaken to introduce the scheme.

If you receive texts, calls or emails claiming to be from HMRC, offering financial help or a tax refund and asking you to click on a link or to give personal information, it is a scam. You should email it to phishing@hmrc.gov.uk and then delete it.

When you make your claim

You’ll only need your:

- Self Assessment UTR - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost UTR

- National Insurance number - if you do not have this find out how to get your lost National Insurance number

- Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you check your eligibility online

- bank account number and sort code you want us to pay the grant into (only provide bank account details where a Bacs payment can be accepted)

You’ll have to confirm to HMRC that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus.

If you claim the grant HMRC will treat this as confirmation you’re below the state aid limits.

HMRC will check claims and take appropriate action to withhold or recover payments found to be dishonest or inaccurate.

After you’ve claimed

Once you’ve submitted your claim, you will be told straight away if your grant is approved. We will pay the grant into your bank account within 6 working days.

You must keep a copy of all records in line with normal self-employment record keeping requirements, including:

- the amount claimed
    - the claim reference number for your records
    - evidence that your business has been adversely affected by coronavirus

You will need to report the grant:

- on your Self Assessment tax return
    - as self-employed income for any Universal Credit claims
    - as self-employed income and that you’re working 16 hours a week for any tax credits claims

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:22 pm 

Quote:
Government Gateway user ID and password - if you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you check your eligibility online

Think I've got that - it's the next stage I don't have. But I'll have to check 8-[

Quote:
HMRC will check claims and take appropriate action to withhold or recover payments found to be dishonest or inaccurate.

:shock:

Quote:
You must keep a copy of all records in line with normal self-employment record keeping requirements, including:

[-( 8-[

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm 

Drivers need the cash now, needed it last month, so the quicker the better.

But it's a positive move if most of us that are eligible get the cash within a few weeks of today. [-o<

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:35 pm 

Quote:

Longer term evidence will be via the 2019/20 tax return.

If they want evidence in the shorter term I suppose we could show interim books, or evidence of less mileage/fuel usage.

But I suspect nothing will come of that anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 am 

Did you chaps receive a HMRC letter today asking you to confirm your eligiblity and details online so as they can include you on their Covid-19 Self-Employment support scheme, I had rather thought they would have done this automatically but it seems you need to register first and then wait until you receive a further email or letter from them later this month so as you can apply for the above between the 13th to 18th of May.

Had to go through the issue filled government gateway portal which nearly always throws a wobbly...eventually got in by using the Drivers Licence proof of ID method.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
received an email 10 minutes ago

So not what I expected we have to go through an eligibility check before the application starts MAY 13th

:roll: this isn't going to be straight forward and I can see loads of people floundering

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:23 pm 

edders23 wrote:
received an email 10 minutes ago

So not what I expected we have to go through an eligibility check before the application starts MAY 13th

:roll: this isn't going to be straight forward and I can see loads of people floundering

Well unless I did it wrong the eligibility check wasnt to bad on the government gateway, it's sometimes accessing the government gateway itself that's bad.

Anyhoos...I think I've done enough as they say I'm eligible and will contact me nearer those dates on the email and mobile I entered so as I can apply.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
yes the eligibility bit was straight forward but then you have to sign into the site to register your contact details which they already have because they emailed me using that email addy

They are also saying they will contact you BUT then saying you need to apply after MIDDAY on the 13th

Quite a few people I have discussed it with say they will leave it to their accountant to apply which might not be such a good idea

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:02 pm 

For those that haven't received an eligibility email or letter you can check online if you have a Gov Gateway acc.

Or maybe not as they only ask for your unique Taxpayer number and your Nat Insurance number.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-gra ... e#eligible

I checked and the screen said I could claim from 8.00am on the 14th May.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 pm 

Quote:

Took me best part of two minutes.

As long as you have the gateway passwords, you have you unique taxpayer and national insurance numbers it's a doddle.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 pm 

Also it seems that Agents will not be able to claim for you.

The individual taxpayer must claim for it themselves.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:20 pm 

Sussex wrote:
For those that haven't received an eligibility email or letter you can check online if you have a Gov Gateway acc.

Or maybe not as they only ask for your unique Taxpayer number and your Nat Insurance number.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-gra ... e#eligible

I checked and the screen said I could claim from 8.00am on the 14th May.

I have to wait until midday [-(

Edders wrote:
yes the eligibility bit was straight forward but then you have to sign into the site to register your contact details which they already have because they emailed me using that email addy

They are also saying they will contact you BUT then saying you need to apply after MIDDAY on the 13th

Quite a few people I have discussed it with say they will leave it to their accountant to apply which might not be such a good idea

Yes, it all seems a bit round-the-houses, but as long as you have your UTR and NI number to hand then it's easy enough, as Sussex said.

If you haven't registered with Government Gateway yet then that might take a few minutes, but again should be unproblematic.

But looks pretty straightforward so far =D>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next