Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:54 pm 

Dundee taxi drivers spat at and abused after refusing passengers without masks

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/d ... out-masks/

Image: Kim Cessford/DC Thomson Media

Taxi drivers say they’re being abused, spat on and kicked at – just for insisting that passengers wear their masks.

Drivers from across the city claim many customers have become violent and aggressive when asked to wear masks, with some even becoming violent.

One driver, who asked to remain anonymous, claimed that some passengers had gone as far as to spit on him after he refused them a ride.

He said: “The abuse we get is unbelievable.

“They would call me a bloody idiot if I told them they couldn’t come in the car without a mask on.

“I’ve also had some people threaten me, kick the car and spit on it too, and we’ve had no support or guidance on how we’re supposed to police this when we’re out and taking passengers.”

“It happens all the time, I’ve had people shouting and giving me abuse right on the taxi rank.

“I’ve been treated badly by so many of these idiots, and it’s not just young people, there are older ones too.

Image: DC Thomson Media

“I’ve even been threatened by people saying that they’ll report me for not giving them service and they don’t even have a leg to stand on, because they’re the ones not obeying the rules.”

The cabbie also claimed that other drivers have been ignoring the rules in order to get a fare.

He added: “Sometimes, if I’m at the front of the rank and I turn someone away for not wearing a mask, they’ll go off and get in another car which will take them.

“These guys are putting a £5 or £6 fare ahead of their own lives.

“Also, once that passenger has been dropped off, if they’re not wearing a mask they could be passing it to any other passengers who are in that cab until it’s cleaned.

“The drivers that take people without a mask are encouraging these guys, they’re letting them know that they’ll be able to get a ride even if they have no mask.”

Image: DC Thomson Media

Chris Elder, taxi secretary for Unite the Union, confirmed that many drivers have had issues with people not obeying the rules.

He said: “I have heard a lot of things like that, and taxi drivers shouldn’t have to put up with it.

“Of course, there is a safety risk here, and I would advise drivers who experience this kind of abuse to go to the police as it is a crime, although I understand that by the time police get down there the incident may be over.

“We just want the public to respect that these drivers are trying to keep them and the rest of the public safe.

“Nobody should be subjected to verbal abuse just for doing their job.”

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:03 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
plenty here just won't wear them :sad:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:31 pm 

Meant to say yesterday (had actually typed this out, but it seemed to disappear due to some sort of, er, technical issue :roll: :oops: ) that there was a closely related article a few weeks ago about the Dundee United player who kicked off ( :D ) and refused to wear a mask:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36064

Also maybe worth pointing out that the middle photo is almost certainly just a coincidence - there's not a rank in Dundee exclusively for the use of Peugeot HCs of the same shade of blue. Photo at the top probably a more realistic representation of the HCs in Dundee.

Quite sure all three photos taken at the same rank. That's the rank, you know, where the bust-up in the queue of passengers resulted in the death of a man :roll: