Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:06 pm 

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... s-19304024

Post subject: Re: Sefton
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:13 pm 

Why don't they contact their ward Councillors? It is worth a try and also email the Chief Exec at the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:24 pm 

grandad wrote:
Why don't they contact their ward Councillors? It is worth a try and also email the Chief Exec at the same time.

Done that and more The chair of licensing hates me now

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:18 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:

what they didn't already :shock: maybe that's where your going wrong :lol:

seriously though I don't think many councils are operating normally at the moment so there will always be issues.

I would also say that if a badge was forthcoming would they then be able to feed their family ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:17 am 

edders23 wrote:
MR T wrote:
grandad wrote:

what they didn't already :shock: maybe that's where your going wrong :lol:

seriously though I don't think many councils are operating normally at the moment so there will always be issues.

I would also say that if a badge was forthcoming would they then be able to feed their family ?

if you can not work...... can you

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am 

Here's the article for the benefit of people like Edders, whose steam-powered internet access may not allow them to view the piece on the Echo's website (although it would appear he has read this particular article).

Taxi driver has to pawn household goods to feed family after 'badge delays'

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... s-19304024

One man said he had to pawn household goods to provide for his family

Taxi and private hire drivers say they have been left “not knowing if they’ll be able to put food on the table” as they struggle to renew their licences.

The ECHO has been contacted by dozens of drivers in Sefton who say their badges are due for renewal and that they’re being “ignored” by the council.

Joe Johnson from the Sefton Hackney and Private Hire trade association said “ Sefton are failing to renew or licence drivers and vehicles.

“We have drivers out of work for weeks or months as the council fails to licence them. This is people’s livelihoods we are talking about.

“People are being left experiencing exceptional hardship. One person I spoke to recently said they had to pawn household goods to provide for their families.

“Drivers can’t speak to anyone, all we have is one generic email address for the thousands of drivers in the borough to direct their concerns.

“This cannot be allowed to continue and the trade representatives are looking at ways of petitioning the councillors and taking possible legal action against the council.”

He also says badges originally due to expire March-May were automatically renewed for six months because of lockdown, but now hundreds of these badges are due for renewal and nobody can get in touch.

Sefton Council, however, says drivers will be contacted before their licence expires.

A council spokeswoman said: “Taxi licences are usually issued at the council’s one-stop-shop in Bootle, but this was closed for nearly six months, since the national lockdown in March.

“During this time, significant improvements were made to our online service and anyone with questions or issues in relation to taxi licensing can email taxiapplication@sefton.gov.uk

“Our Taxi Licensing Team have had ongoing conversations with trade representatives to make them aware of these changes.

“The Bootle one-stop-shop reopened on September 14.

“Fewer booths mean customers will no longer be allowed to drop in – all visitors must pre-book a 30-minute appointment by calling 0345 140 0845.

“However taxi customers are asked not to call to make appointments as the team will contact drivers before their license is due for renewal and invite them to make an appointment to visit the One Stop Shop for the renewal to be processed.

“The Council is currently offering 360 taxi appointments each week to try to get through the huge volume of requests we’re receiving, and working as hard and fast as we can.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:56 am 

Quote:
Taxi driver has to pawn household goods to feed family after 'badge delays'

Joe Johnson from the Sefton Hackney and Private Hire trade association said “ Sefton are failing to renew or licence drivers and vehicles.

“We have drivers out of work for weeks or months as the council fails to licence them. This is people’s livelihoods we are talking about.

“People are being left experiencing exceptional hardship. One person I spoke to recently said they had to pawn household goods to provide for their families.

Who to believe here?

As usual, council claiming everything is fine. Trade obviously thinks otherwise.

But article obviously a bit sensationalist, starting with the headline. I don't doubt a driver has pawned goods, but suspect that's more to do with Covid than the renewal delays.

And if you read closely, there's nothing to suggest any drivers have actually been unable to renew, and are thus unable to work as a consequence.

'Drivers out of work for weeks or months' more likely the lockdown thing rather than down to the council's licensing processes.

So obviously a worrying time for drivers, and no doubt exacerbated by the council's change in procedures.

But I suspect in many ways this piece confuses the issues rather than clarifies [-(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 am 

As long as the renewal application has been made before the expiry date of the license you can continue working as it is not determined by the council.

It is the sole responsibility of the council to determine the licence on time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:25 am 

heathcote wrote:
As long as the renewal application has been made before the expiry date of the license you can continue working as it is not determined by the council.

Indeed, and that's certainly enshrined in the legislation up here. As long as the renewal application is lodged before the expiry date then the licence is valid until the council has determined it.

Which in turn is why I've just received my renewed plate a couple of months after I lodged the application - takes them a while to process everthing.

But I suppose maybe the problem here is ensuring there's a way to actually make the application, and proof from the council that they've received it.

Ours is all online now, and although I managed to get through it all eventually, I can see how some applicants might find it all a bit daunting :-k

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:34 pm 

heathcote wrote:

That is the way I see it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm 

This is one I am working on now

1. Applied for my licence on 2. Oct 2020 received a repply the same day
2 received email 6 oct 2020 comfirming they will get in touch before 5 nov 2020 by phone
3 i emailed them on the 14 oct 2020 no reply
4 i emailed on the 28 oct bit desperate for a phone call no reply
5 my badge ran out on the 5 nov 2020 i emailed on the 12 of nov 2020 no reply it is now the 19 nov 2020 ive had no reply for nealy six six weeks and no phone call my licence number is 0000 my phone number is +xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:42 pm 

MR T wrote:
heathcote wrote:

That is the way I see it

It certainly is NOT the way our licensing team see things.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:09 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Nor ours! however badge and plate renewals are still sort of proceeding in our district

One issue that hasn't been mentioned is the insurance because most insurers require you to have and provide evidence of a current license ?

perhaps it might be pertinent to point this out to the errant authorities along with an estimate of the level of claims likely to result because if you can prove the council is at fault then surely a mass claim on behalf of all drivers affected might be possible. I'm sure Sefton would be delighted to pay 10's of thousands in compensation out to those affected!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:36 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Nor ours! however badge and plate renewals are still sort of proceeding in our district

One issue that hasn't been mentioned is the insurance because most insurers require you to have and provide evidence of a current license ?

perhaps it might be pertinent to point this out to the errant authorities along with an estimate of the level of claims likely to result because if you can prove the council is at fault then surely a mass claim on behalf of all drivers affected might be possible. I'm sure Sefton would be delighted to pay 10's of thousands in compensation out to those affected!

Yep done that ........ and its 100 of thousands

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:46 pm 

Quote:
Who to believe here?

Most problems with delay in licensing drivers down here is 100% down to drivers not doing stuff in good time.

Be that DBS checks, return of application or medical.

Not saying that's the case in Sefton, but in B&H it most certainly is.