Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:19 pm 

Taxi drivers want extension on ditching old cars as covid wipes out trade

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/ne ... ng-4856387

They have asked the council to change its rules on when they have to replace ageing cars as pandemic hits fares

Taxi drivers in Burton have pleaded with council bosses to extend their licences on ageing vehicles as they have seen trade all but wiped out during the coronavirus pandemic.

Burton cabbies have united to ask East Staffordshire Borough Council to extend vehicle licences due to the downturn in trade, which has left many facing looking for other jobs or having to work exceptionally long hours on very low income, they say.

The council's licencing committee is now considering their concerns, raised in a letter signed by 19 taxi firms across East Staffordshire, now known as the Burton Taxi Trade after forming an alliance.

Currently private hire vehicles must be replaced when they reach seven years old and hackey carriage vehicles at 10 years old, but the alliance hopes to extend this by a year to avoid drivers having to replace their cars during the current climate.

From December 2020 to December 2021, a total 90 private hire vehicles and 26 hackney carriage vehicles would need to be replaced under the current licence.

The letter said: "The taxi trade at present is still suffering very badly since we last wrote to you and like many other businesses due to covid 19 and the lockdowns and restrictions imposed.

"Drivers are leaving the trade and those working are having to work for exceptionally long hours for exceptionally low income.

"Considering what the situations are at present with the taxi trade, the trade is asking for the council to consider an extension to the September vehicle expiry to allow at least a further year for vehicles expiring due to the seven-year age rule.

Also, the trade is asking for a delay in the rolling out of the emissions policy to at least 2024, something many other councils have agreed to due to the decline in income and passenger usage during the pandemic.

The cabbies added: "At present there is truly little work going out of town or airport work."

The alliance includes Darley Abbey Cars, A1 Ace Taxis, Alpine Taxis, Horninglow Taxis, Premier Cars, I Cars, New Street Taxis, Branston Taxis, Uttoxeter Taxis, Charlie Taxis, Express Cars, 43 Taxis, 5 Ten Taxis, Station Taxis,Macs Taxis, Stapenhill Cars, Welcome Cars, Quick Taxi 4 U, and Station Taxis.

The alliance has successfully negotiated previous four-month to ageing cars extensions last year.

The committee is now considering the move.

Abid Hussain, owner of Premier Taxis, in Station Street, told Staffordshire Live: "I strongly agree with this proposal. I think it’s only fair to do this in the current financial climate.

"Taxi drivers have been hit hard last year due to covid-19 and the future is still uncertain."

Mohammed Tariq, who has been a taxi driver in Burton for more than 30 years, said: "It would be good idea if the council could extend licences for vehicles and also drop or lower licence fees as well.

"I can’t talk for everyone but I am at 10 per cent of work compared to what it was last January.

"After this lockdown only God knows what’s going to happen. It doesn’t look good. I may have to close."

Qasim Ali, who has been a taxi driver for 13 years, said: "It will be good for the council to extend the licence for vehicles as it has been very difficult period for taxi drivers.

“Hopefully the council can show its support and help us in these difficult times."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:40 pm 

I don't think it's unreasonable for the council, any council, to extend the age limit for say two years.

The trade is in a mess, the country is in a mess, but it isn't forever. So let's ensure we have a viable trade for years to come.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:33 pm 

Four months. #-o

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/ne ... re-4867603

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 am 

I have been considering asking our Council to look into this. however it could be seen as trying to gain an advantage for myself. If our Council were to increase the age limit for 1 or even 2 years it would not affect any vehicles that we have because we don't have any that will be at the age limit for 4 years. I do know that there are a few owner drivers who have vehicles that will reach the age limit soon who will be struggling to replace them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:55 pm 

Surely you could raise a petition and present that petition to council.

As long as you don't get to vote on the matter can't see the problem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm 

Think it is about time proprietors who due to the financial implications of a Councils licensing policy are forced to cease trading receive compensation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:48 am 

Sussex wrote:
Surely you could raise a petition and present that petition to council.

As long as you don't get to vote on the matter can't see the problem.

My experience with petitions is that they are a waste of time. I doubt that many people would actually sign a petition to allow older cars, even on a temporary basis, some drivers wouldn't sign because they don't like the drivers who would benefit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:07 pm 

in the rolling out of the emissions policy to at least 2024, That is what is pushing this forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:08 pm 

Struggling taxi drivers plead to keep older cars as they can't afford to buy new ones

https://www.staffordshire-live.co.uk/ne ... ep-5476149

Their trade has been hit hard during the pandemic when people were not using cabs

Taxi drivers in Burton could be handed another lifeline to keep them in business as they try to recover from the impact on covid on their business.

Three cabbies in the town have asked for a four-month extension for all drivers in Burton and Uttoxeter to how long they can keep ageing vehicles before having to replace them as drivers across the town battle to stay afloat due to a huge dip in trade during the pandemic.

The cabbies have now asked East Staffordshire Borough Council to grant them the extension due to the major downturn in trade. Many had to take second jobs during the lockdowns as business was so bad.

One driver said: “I am not in a position to replace vehicles due to covid-19 and the lockdown. Work has been terribly slow and at present I do not have funds available to purchase a new vehicle and request that you consider my appeal for extension."

It is the third time since last April that the council's licensing team has been approached by taxi drivers seeking extensions to when they need to buy newer cars.

They were previously granted two four-month extension in April and then in November last year following a letter signed by 19 taxi firms across East Staffordshire, now known as the Burton Taxi Trade after forming an alliance.

Previously private hire vehicles had to be replaced when they reach seven years old and hackney carriage vehicles at 10 years old.

From May 2021 to December 2021, a total 107 private hire vehicles and hackney carriage vehicles would need to be replaced under the old licence agreements issued by the borough council.

From December 2020 to December 2021, a total 90 private hire vehicles and 26 hackney carriage vehicles would have needed to be replaced, but these drivers were granted the reprieve on older cars.

But taxi drivers have said many have seen their workload plummet to 10 per cent of what it used to be when compared to January last year, before the pandemic hit.

The licensing committee will meet to discuss the extension on June 8. Options available are to extend the licences by another four months; grant a six-month extension or until December 31; or impose no extensions, a report to the council says.