Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:14 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
:shock: loony scouse echo journos again

There are several jobs currently available offering handsome salaries - in some cases of £40,000 or more.
Of course, many of these roles - such as those for veterinary surgeons or optometrists - are only open to suitably qualified candidates. But not all of them.

Private hire and taxi driver

Full time/part time

Salary: £450 - £1,250/week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Due to increases in customer demand, taxi firm Argyle Satellite is actively supporting customer focused, motivated people to become self-employed Wirral private hire or hackney drivers.

Becoming a private hire/hackney driver can provide you with a great deal of flexibility and a profession that is well paid yet can fit in around other commitments.

Call Argyle Satellite on 0151 666 8383 or apply here.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:55 pm 

Quote:
Salary: £450 - £1,250/week :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if we believed the numbers, it's not exactly a salary.

It's turnover not money in the bank.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:28 pm 

A friend of mine works for (can you say that these days??) the big P/H firm here in Chester, Kingkabs. His takings have roughly stayed the same for a few months now, as it gets busier more drivers come back to work. The office manager put a message out last week saying things are back to pre-COVID levels now, last weeks top earner ‘took’ £2,200! Really?? £314 a day for seven straight days/nights ???

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:39 am 

x-ray wrote:
A friend of mine works for (can you say that these days??) the big P/H firm here in Chester, Kingkabs. His takings have roughly stayed the same for a few months now, as it gets busier more drivers come back to work. The office manager put a message out last week saying things are back to pre-COVID levels now, last weeks top earner ‘took’ £2,200! Really?? £314 a day for seven straight days/nights ???

In the days when I worked long hours I think the most I took, before expenses, in a week was just over £1,000, That would be probably 4 or 5 times a year and mainly airports.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm 

Who knows what the figures the Echo quote actually refer to, but on the employment agency's website there's also this:

Indeed/Argyle Satellite wrote:
Earnings: choose the shift plan you want to use and work as much or as little as you want. Self-employed drivers working on the open-shift plan (full-time) can earn in the region of £650 per week* and drivers working on the weekend plan can earn in the region of £300*

The asterisks refer to this:

* Figures based on 2019 averages – open-shift AFV £7.65 over 85 CB, weekend only AFV £8.35 over 38 CB.

I'm guessing these are some sort of hourly *profit* figures, so while £650/week and £300/weekend look very good after expenses, it looks like they're assuming 85 hours for the full-time drivers, and 38 hours for weekend drivers :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:57 pm 

One of the reviews left on Indeed's website is probably more realistic:

Quote:
70 hours a week to make a living

I had a good full time job. Seen Argyle advertising for drivers, saying you can make around £1200 a week if you put the hours in. I left my job and became a driver for the flexibility. So wish I hadn't now. Getting the taxi badge alone is a hard process. I work around 60-70 hours a week and earn around £600. But from that £600 you have to take your expenses off. £100 a week for car, £65 a week insurance, £80 a week fuel and £102 for Argyle system. Leaves around £300 for 60 hours+ of work. Too many drivers on the system, can wait 2 hours for each job some days. Ohh and you have to work every weekend. Week in week out. I am desperately trying to find a new job as are most taxi drivers I speak to.

So I'm guessing the quoted 'salary' figures are topline/best scenario takings, based on a humungous number of hours worked. Who'd have guessed it? [-(

Only question is whether the Echo have been paid to publish that, or whether it's just an article based on journalistic 'research' on a recruitment agency's website :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:58 pm 

* Figures based on 2019 averages – open-shift AFV £7.65 over 85 CB, weekend only AFV £8.35 over 38 CB.

Anyone have any idea what AFV and CB stand for? Couldn't find anything with Google :-o

I'm guessing the A might stand for average, but can't think of anything for the other letters. Maybe it doesn't really mean anything much at all, and is just used to mask the reality of using something like 'average hourly earnings'. I mean, if they used some well known jargon in this kind of thing like OTE then it's easily enough found with Google, but can't see anything for AFV that would fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:25 pm 

Could AFV be at face value?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:15 pm 

Quote:
last weeks top earner ‘took’ £2,200! Really?? £314 a day for seven straight days/nights ???

About 10 years ago one of the operators told a few newbies that if they invested in new 8-seaters with schools and Fri/Sat night they could take three grand a week. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Three grand a week FFS. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:19 pm 

Quote:
Anyone have any idea what AFV and CB stand for? Couldn't find anything with Google :-o

Average fare value?

Car/Cab bookings?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:09 am 

heathcote wrote:
Could AFV be at face value?

Good suggestion, but if so it's maybe recruitment-agency speak, and unique to that agency or whatever, because if it was something like OTE or NMW then it would be easily found with Google :?

Sussex wrote:
Average fare value?

Car/Cab bookings?

Certainly good suggestion if it's cab trade jargon rather than the recruitment agency's own terminology.

But if it is 85 jobs rather than 85 hours then that would certainly seem more plausible. On the other hand, £650 in fares full-time doesn't seem much, as opposed to if the £650 was profit - I mean, after expenses, would there be anything other than sweetie money left out of £650 topline? :-o

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:15 am 

Sussex wrote:
About 10 years ago one of the operators told a few newbies that if they invested in new 8-seaters with schools and Fri/Sat night they could take three grand a week. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Three grand a week FFS. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worked out that if I worked 50 hours per week, averaged 30mph and had the meter activated ALL the time then I could make that =D> :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:24 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
if I worked 50 hours per week, averaged 30mph and had the meter activated ALL the time then I could make that

And I would say the odds of that happening are less than the odds of winning the euro millions jackpot ! :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !