Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm 

Presumably the clue here is the fact that it's an electric chair, thus more difficult to get a WAV to accomodate it. But article doesn't make the distinction, and makes it sound like it's simply an availability problem with WAVs generally.

Hull man's taxi plea after struggling to get to work in electric wheelchair

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hu ... ll-4856831

Joe works at a coronavirus testing site and sometimes needs to be there earlier than buses allow

An electric wheelchair user says he is finding it almost impossible to get a taxi to work in Hull.

Joe, 34, of west Hull, who has cerebral palsy works at a coronavirus testing site in the city.

Although he is not usually "one for complaining", he says the taxi companies he has contacted in Hull do not seem to have wheelchair accessible taxis available for people who cannot get out of them.

"I work on a testing site and I can't seem to get a taxi anywhere when I need them, especially on a Sunday," he said. "It's ridiculous.

"I’ve been working on a testing site since December 16 and I’ve not been able to get taxis here, especially on a Sunday.

"I’ve rang every major taxi company in Hull and asked them if they’ve got a wheelchair accessible taxi and all I kept on getting was ‘no, we don’t do them’.

"The only one that told me they could do them is City Cabs."

The 34-year-old says he has rang every taxi firm he could think of.

"I’ve been getting there by bus but sometimes I work on a Sunday and we have to be in for 7.30am and buses don’t start until 8am.

"My boss said I need to make alternative arrangements for those days."

The 34-year-old says he "just wants them to be more inclusive".

"I was supposed to be working Christmas day," he said. "I’ve been ringing taxi companies everyday I am supposed to be working and all I keep getting is 'no, we don’t do that kind of transport', especially if I say I am stuck in my electric wheelchair.

"Every time I ring them up, it’s 'no we don’t have them'.

"I just want them to be more inclusive."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:20 pm 

Quote:
Although he is not usually "one for complaining", he says the taxi companies he has contacted in Hull do not seem to have wheelchair accessible taxis available for people who cannot get out of them.

'Cannot get out' of the wheelchair, presumably, but article makes it sound like it's 'cannot get out of' the taxi.

Also, that point ignores the fact that the problem seems to be that it's an *electric* wheelchair, and not that it's simply a wheelchair.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:01 pm 

We don't know the size of the fella, but I'm going to assume he is above medium.

If that is the case, his weight added to the weight of the electric vehicle is massive and will need a vehicle that could cost up to £40,000.

And how much work will a driver gain out of that £40,000 and how much work will he lose from customers not wanting to get into a bus?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:05 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
vehicles suitable for handling electric wheelchairs are unsuitable for the general public and they massively outweigh the numbers of electric wheelchair users needing taxis

The only solution is for such vehicles to be provided on a heavily subsidised basis by councils

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !