Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:45 pm 

Catalytic converters, obviously, not moggies :-o

There's CCTV footage on the website. Someone in the comments claiming that it's been filmed on a mobile phone, thus why not phone police? But it's actually a mobile phone filming a monitor/TV screen showing the footage - at one point you can see the edge of the monitor screen :idea:

Thieves steal catalytic converter from taxi in just 90 seconds

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ts-section

The theft was caught on CCTV

Image: Leicester Mercury

A gang of thieves took less than 90 seconds to steal the valuable catalytic converter from a taxi parked in a city street.

The owner of the Toyota Prius, who wished to be named only as Mr Hussain, watched the crime on his CCTV footage the following morning.

It shows the hooded men jack up the vehicle, go underneath to remove the device and then flee in their own car.

The incident happened on Sunday evening in King Edward Road in North Evington, Leicester.

The 48-year-old taxi driver said: “It happened at 6.30pm and it’s quite near to a main road but they don’t seem to be worried. They arrive, get off the catalytic converter and in less than two minutes they’ve driven off again.

“I’m surprised they risked it, but they knew what they were doing.

“They have their faces covered and so it’s not going to be easy to identify them.”

He said more than 100 Leicester taxi drivers had been victims of similar crimes in the past couple of years.

He said: “I’m the admin on a WhatsApp group of about 250 private hire taxi drivers and about half of us have been targeted now. It’s a huge problem.

“I’m insured but the excess payment is high and if I claim I know that my premiums may go up in the future, so like a lot of other taxi drivers I’ve decided to just pay for the repairs myself.

“If I go through my insurance company it will also take longer to get it fixed which means more days with no income.”

Leicestershire Police said in October last year that the increase of catalytic converter thefts began in late 2018, and after a lull earlier in the pandemic, numbers have risen again.

In 2018 about 280 such thefts were recorded and that rose to 618 the following year.

The spate of such thefts could not come at a worse time for the city’s taxi drivers.

Mr Hussain, who has been a taxi driver for 16 years, said: “With the lockdown our income has been cut by 60 to 70 per cent most days.

“On days you might have earned £100 you’re only earning £30 or £40 and you’re waiting sometimes hours between jobs.

“It’s really hard at the moment.”

He said many taxi drivers were now opting to have shields fitted over the catalytic converters on their cars.

“It doesn’t protect them completely but the shields mean it takes up to 45 minutes to cut through and get to the catalytic converter, instead of just a couple.

“A lot of garages are offering to fit the shields now because of this problem. It costs about £200.”

The incident was reported to Leicestershire Police, and a police spokeswoman said: "We are investigating the theft of a catalytic converter from a vehicle parked in King Edward Road, Leicester.

"The incident took place around 6.40pm on Sunday and enquiries are continuing. If anyone has any information which may assist with the investigation they are asked to contact 101.

"The theft of catalytic converters is a concern both locally and nationally.

"These parts can be easily accessible and are sold for precious metals. There has been much work nationally with car manufacturers to increase the security of these parts. Some manufacturers will install security devices to the catalytic converter at cost price.

"In some areas of Leicester we have enlisted the support of local garages who offer to security mark the part while a vehicle is undergoing work.

"A number of operations have also been carried out across the force area which has led to parts being recovered and a number of arrests.

"Those investigations remain ongoing.

"We would always advise vehicle owners to think about the security of their vehicles and try and park in well-lit areas covered by security cameras, if possible park up against a wall so access to the back of the vehicle is difficult."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:47 pm 

Quote:
He said more than 100 Leicester taxi drivers had been victims of similar crimes in the past couple of years.

He said: “I’m the admin on a WhatsApp group of about 250 private hire taxi drivers and about half of us have been targeted now. It’s a huge problem."

Find that hard to believe - somehow doubt half of PHVs in Leicester have been targetted.

Maybe 100 in total, but how that would equate to almost half his WhatsApp group isn't clear. In total there's more than 1,400 PHVs in Leicester, so even if just a quarter of them had been hit then that's 350+.

An obvious explanation, of course, is that drivers are just joining the WhatsApp group to say their cat has been stolen :-s

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:31 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
most cats are now manufactured without Platinum which is why Platinum prices have plummeted so the thieves might be disappointed at the resale value

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm 

edders23 wrote:
most cats are now manufactured without Platinum which is why Platinum prices have plummeted so the thieves might be disappointed at the resale value

I don't know about the platinum but they also use a lot of palladium which is also a very high value metal.