Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:37 pm 

Driver here is making a fair point, at least if it's considered that likes of bus drivers should be prioritised.

However, trade aficionados shouldn't look to closely at the detail here. Article says driver a member of Hackney Drivers' Association, but then says he's a private hire driver.

Then says: "...with being self employed, there is no pre-booking and he doesn’t know who is getting into the car or who they have previously mixed with."

Not sure what self-employment has to do with whether the jobs are pre-booked or not. But I'm guessing it's saying his jobs are street hires, which would be consistent with his hackney association membership.

On the other hand, the sort of work he's talking about mainly (schoolkids, hospital appointments etc) just doesn't sound to me like street hires - read the full article and you'll see what I'm getting at :-s

But I'm guessing all the contradictions can be quite easily explained - he's a hackney driver on a circuit :idea:

‘Until I feel safe, I can’t work’ -taxi driver’s concerns amid ongoing crisis

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/tees ... e-19627801

Public transport workers have not been prioritised on the vaccine rollout

Taxi drivers are key workers that haven’t stopped during the pandemic.

But one local self-employed driver has raised his concerns for his safety while coming in regular close contact with members of the public.

Teesside Live recently spoke with a bus driver who believed they shouldn’t have to wait for a covid vaccine as they experience daily problems with passengers refusing to have the windows open and not wearing face coverings.

And following this story, a driver who is part of the Stockton Hackney Drivers’ Association, has chosen to share his views, while remaining anonymous.

“After reading about the bus drivers wanting to be prioritised for the covid vaccine, classing themselves as key workers, well yes I understand, but spare a thought for us taxi drivers who find it difficult to distance.

“The only work there is, taking elderly and vulnerable people to and from vaccines and tests or hospital appointments, key workers at all times of the day and night, vulnerable school children and teachers and so on,” he said.

The private hire driver has worked in the industry for the past 23 years, but with being self employed, there is no pre-booking and he doesn’t know who is getting into the car or who they have previously mixed with.

“I’m scared to death to go to work now until I know it’s safe, I don’t want to put anyone at risk,” he said.

His recent jobs have included taking elderly people to hospital appointments and running people back and forward for covid tests, which often involves physically helping elderly people in and out of the car.

He feels that taxi drivers are the key workers that have been forgotten about during the pandemic.

“When the first lockdown came we were back heeled, we haven’t had a fair shout,” he said.

And with customers refusing to wear face coverings, his safety is a growing concern.

“”People say they’re exempt, customers will use any excuse,” he said.

One customer, who claimed they couldn’t wear a mask due to their asthma, had been smoking in the street just seconds before getting into the taxi.

“Some of us do have protective screens and sanitation, but as we are hands on and have to physically help a lot of customers, it is impossible for us to keep 100% safe,” he said.

Reading about the bus driver who believed they shouldn’t have to wait for the vaccine, it was hard for the driver not to compare their roles.

“At least a bus is big and has space, a taxi is so confined, we’re more close contact than bus drivers are.

“We are putting our lives at risk for this, so if the bus drivers think they are key workers, then this must put us in the bracket of most vulnerable key workers above bus drivers, at least they have larger vehicles and a lot more space,” he added.

The UK has ordered roughly 370 million doses of vaccines, which are being prioritised based on specific categories.

“I’m prepared to wait my turn, but it’s not fair when people are trying to jump the queue.

“Teachers are priority, but we have to take teachers to school and they’re mixing with god knows how many,” he said.

Phase 1 of the vaccine programme is currently underway, including care home residents and their carers.

“Stockton Council have been pretty good, owner drivers received a £200 cheque for a protective screen and sanitiser, but it’s still minimal protection.

“Until I feel safe, I can’t work,” he added.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:38 pm 

Quote:
One customer, who claimed they couldn’t wear a mask due to their asthma, had been smoking in the street just seconds before getting into the taxi.

Sounds a bit like the people getting taxis to foodbanks, the fat people using foodbanks, or the beggars getting taxis home at night :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:04 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:

Sounds a bit like the people getting taxis to foodbanks, the fat people using foodbanks, or the beggars getting taxis home at night :roll:

Not unlike some of the Alloy walking stick types who when in a hurry put their stick under their oxter (armpit) so as they can run faster or carry a 12 pack of beer to their 20 plate car. #-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:47 pm 

Quote:

So it's not just me that has to deal with idiots like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:51 pm 

I think the boffins have got the order of vaccine right.

Oldies and vulnerable first, then those above 50 next.

Are taxi drivers more vulnerable than the police, than teachers, than folks working in supermarkets?

IMO they are not.

We should wait our turn.